IGNORED

Smash 2600

Master_Programmer

Characters  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which characters do you think should be added?

• Captain Falcon from F-Zero
    • Pitfall Harry from pitfall
    • The hero from "Adventure"
    • Kain from FF4
    • Master Chief from Halo
    • Zero from Megaman X
    • Tails from Sonic
    • Samus from Metroid
    • The hero from H.E.R.O
  2. 2. Which stages do you think should be added?

• Green Hill Zone From sonic
    • Flame mammoth's stage from Megaman X
    • Scrap-Brain zone from Sonic
    • Zeromus battle from FF4
    • Torian from Metroid

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Okay, First, i'll give you the customary screenshots of what i have so far.

Screenshot-Stella261SMASH26001Pbin.png

The title screen!!! :D

Screenshot-Stella261SMASH26001Pbin-1.png

Let's choose a character, shall we?

....hmmm....how about pacman, and megaman?

Screenshot-Stella261SMASH26001Pbin-2.png

Time to choose the stage!!

SMASH2600.png

Pacman is about to eat hot blue plasma.....although i'm sure he's full from all the power pellets anyways.

Currently, the game has Link, Pacman, and Megaman, along with 2 different stages.

all the characters have 1 move, but every move is unique.

Link slashes with his sword, Megaman shoots his buster, and Pacman has a damaging touch.

now, i need someone to be able to take music from some of the games the characters are from, and make it atari 2600 1-channel music.....

any takers?

Also, please vote in the Polls before you navigate away from this thread. :D

(EDIT)

Also, only the 3 least voted characters won't be added to the game, the rest will, as i need to fill 7 slots.....but.....i may increase the character number from 10 to 20.......

Edited by Master_Programmer

I have to say I like the idea of doing this game with characters of the era/system, like Pac-man and Pitfall Harry.

I voted for the characters my sister liked. XD

Yeah, anyways, i need to look for more 2600 heroes.....i don't know that many, despite the fact i play TONS of atari 2600 games every day. >.>

Good-night everyone!! :D

Imma get some sleep, as it's 9:00 PM here, and i have a long day of smash-bros 2600 programming to do tomorrow. XD

I've gotta add velocity to the engine, and i have to add blocking, plus, i'll add the character tomorrow, that's most voted for by tomorrow.

here are two threads started in 2004 (here) and 2008 (here) about how cool a Smash Bros 2600 game would be. the latter thread (started by me) has a nice controls mapping in case you need suggestions.

but i agree, ditch the newer console characters other than Mega Man and Master Chief, as they both appear in their own 2600 games. if they weren't on the VCS, they don't need to be in the game!

here are some great VCS character:

Combat Tank

Criminal 1 (Loc N Chase)

Criminal 2 (Keystone Capers)

Evil Otto (Berzerk)

Indiana Jones

Kangaroo

Pac Man

Pitfall Harry

Policeman (Keystone Kapers)

Qbert

Robot (Berzerk)

Scorpion (Pitfall)

Square (Adventure)

Tron

Yar

hidden characters:

General Custer

Qotile (Yars' Revenge)

and there are tons more great characters

ideas for bonus item:

Cobra Call (Pitfall Cobra comes in and stings opponent, controls get messed up temporarily)

Qix Call (Qix darts all over the screen inflicting damage)

Pengo Call (Pengo comes in opponents freeze temporarily)

oh hell yeah i'm pumped!!

• Like 1

I have to say I like the idea of doing this game with characters of the era/system, like Pac-man and Pitfall Harry.

I voted for the characters my sister liked. XD

Yeah, anyways, i need to look for more 2600 heroes.....i don't know that many, despite the fact i play TONS of atari 2600 games every day. >.>

I was able to think of some for you.

The man from Berserk- slow because of his walking-yet-running movement, but can shoot diagonally.

E.T.- He could use hand-to-hand combat. He could float vertically for a distance, or could put holes in the ground as traps.

Karate man from Karate- very sluggish but strong hand-to-hand combat.

Bartender from Tapper- he could launch beer mugs at the opponent. They don't do much, but when the opponent uses the fire button again, the mug would fly back 'empty'. If the bartender can catch it, he could gain a small amount of health.

Custer from Custer's Revenge- ...Probably not. (laughs)

Anyway, this is a great idea for a game on the '2600. I hope it gets finished. :-)

@CTF@

• Like 2

but i agree, ditch the newer console characters other than Mega Man and Master Chief, as they both appear in their own 2600 games. if they weren't on the VCS, they don't need to be in the game!

Woah, the point isn't JUST to add old characters...i'm trying to add some character's that HAVEN'T made an appearance in smash bros.

here are some great VCS character:

Combat Tank

Criminal 1 (Loc N Chase)

Criminal 2 (Keystone Capers)

Evil Otto (Berzerk)

Indiana Jones

Kangaroo

Pac Man

Pitfall Harry

Policeman (Keystone Kapers)

Qbert

Robot (Berzerk)

Scorpion (Pitfall)

Square (Adventure)

Tron

Yar

Niiiiiice......i'll have to add a few of those, as i'm expanding the characters up to 20(if i have enough room by the time i'm finished with the main engine)

ideas for bonus item:

Cobra Call (Pitfall Cobra comes in and stings opponent, controls get messed up temporarily)

Qix Call (Qix darts all over the screen inflicting damage)

Pengo Call (Pengo comes in opponents freeze temporarily)

There probably won't be items......i'm not sure if i'll have the room for it by the time i'm done with everything else.

oh hell yeah i'm pumped!!

I noticed. O_O

*laughs a bit*

i am too, as i really think this is gonna be a fun game when it's done. :)

or at least, i hope so. XD

I was able to think of some for you.

The man from Berserk- slow because of his walking-yet-running movement, but can shoot diagonally.

E.T.- He could use hand-to-hand combat. He could float vertically for a distance, or could put holes in the ground as traps.

Karate man from Karate- very sluggish but strong hand-to-hand combat.

Bartender from Tapper- he could launch beer mugs at the opponent. They don't do much, but when the opponent uses the fire button again, the mug would fly back 'empty'. If the bartender can catch it, he could gain a small amount of health.

Custer from Custer's Revenge- ...Probably not. (laughs)

Anyway, this is a great idea for a game on the '2600. I hope it gets finished. :-)

@CTF@

Okay, dude, you rule...i can't believe i didn't think of the guy from berserk, i mean, it's one of my favorite games on the 2600. :D

the rest sound neat except for custer..... O_O

.......if i add him, i'm giving him clothes.......

*wishes i never stumbled upon that game by accident* DX

Anyways, just so everyone knows, the plan right now, for controls, is as follows:

Joy Up - Jump

Joy left/right - Move

Joy Down - Shield

Joy Fire - attack

so far, each character only has ONE ATTACK.

but i'm trying to make each attack unique. :D

Oh, and it seems Mario/Luigi is the most voted character, so imma add the Mario Bros today, and remove them from the polls if i can. >.>

I can do SFX if you'd like me to.

That would be wonderful :)

By the way, you can probably make a better title screen with the titlescreen kernel.

I know, but i need to get the dang thing to work first....i think i did before......i dunno, i'd have to check.

even if i do get it working, it might take up more space than i want it to..... :(

(EDIT)

Hey, could you at all try to make a sword slashing noise? >.>

i'd like to see how good you are at SFX making. :)

Edited by Master_Programmer

~Update~

Kirby has been added....and instead of sucking in enemies, i had to make him a bit different than normal.

Instead of sucking enemies up to get their power, he automatically starts with the same attack the other player has....but he has no attack of his own yet.....so 2 kirbys = both players unable to attack each-other.

I also added Brinstar.....the stage is int he area where samus first starts in metroid 1. XD

Also, i now have shields that work mostly.

they make you invincible, but unable to attack while they're active....but they don't run out of energy.

Behold, one and all.

Demo #1.

In order to start the game, press "select switch" on the title screen, choose your 2 characters, then press fire.....choose your stage, then press "select switch" again.

The leftmost 2 numbers of the score, is player 0's damage.

the rightmost 2 numbers of the score, is player 1's damage.

To select a character, press left or right with the joystick.

the same goes with selecting a stage.

the first player to knock the other player DOWN off the screen, 3 times, is the winner...then the game resets back to the title screen.

The controls are as follows....

Up - Jump

Down - Shield

Left/Right - Move

Fire - Attack

with pacman, you have to touch the other player while pressing fire.

with mario, you just jump on the other player.

with kirby, you immediately start with the other player's weapon, unless the other player is kirby....in which case, none of you can attack.

SMASH2600(V043).bin

Imma back for today....it seems my odd feeling, was just me being extremely exhausted. >.>

don't make changes to the poll. once we vote we can't edit our choices.

Okay, i'll remember that from now on.

so, +1 for H.E.R.O. whos weapon should be the dynamite.

Okay, but i'm only giving each character one more for now, so the dynamite might make him tricky to use effectively. >.>

Okay, but i'm only giving each character one move for now, so the dynamite might make him tricky to use effectively. >.>

the way i see it, that should make him possibly the best non-projectile character as long as his dynamite doesn't affect his own health, especially if it can be detonated on the player's command. otherwise a timed ignition would require a huge blast radius to even out the difficulty.

with the latter option (and if there is going to be a computer AI) he might make a great "boss" character as the player would need to kill him off quickly before enough dynamite sticks explode.

Okay, but i'm only giving each character one move for now, so the dynamite might make him tricky to use effectively. >.>

the way i see it, that should make him possibly the best non-projectile character as long as his dynamite doesn't affect his own health, especially if it can be detonated on the player's command. otherwise a timed ignition would require a huge blast radius to even out the difficulty.

with the latter option (and if there is going to be a computer AI) he might make a great "boss" character as the player would need to kill him off quickly before enough dynamite sticks explode.

Interesting.....

as for A.I.....i'm a little unsure how to tackle it.....and i'm a little worried about having enough room for it..... DX

i *MIGHT* have to make 2 versions..... a 1 player, and a 2 player version