IGNORED

Smash 2600

Master_Programmer

Characters  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Which characters do you think should be added?

• Captain Falcon from F-Zero
    • Pitfall Harry from pitfall
    • The hero from "Adventure"
    • Kain from FF4
    • Master Chief from Halo
    • Zero from Megaman X
    • Tails from Sonic
    • Samus from Metroid
    • The hero from H.E.R.O
  2. 2. Which stages do you think should be added?

• Green Hill Zone From sonic
    • Flame mammoth's stage from Megaman X
    • Scrap-Brain zone from Sonic
    • Zeromus battle from FF4
    • Torian from Metroid

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

The problem on real hardware is that you're using too many cycles between your drawscreen commands.

Press Alt-L while running the game in Stella, and you'll see the number of scanlines for each frame, which for NTSC is normally 262. Using more than 262 lines irregularly will cause the frame to bump, shake, or roll, depending on the TV involved and how big the change in scanlines is.

The problem on real hardware is that you're using too many cycles between your drawscreen commands.

Press Alt-L while running the game in Stella, and you'll see the number of scanlines for each frame, which for NTSC is normally 262. Using more than 262 lines irregularly will cause the frame to bump, shake, or roll, depending on the TV involved and how big the change in scanlines is.

OHHHHHHH

well then i guess i'll try to fix that.

One thing I'd recommend.

Since someone mentioned the difficulty was too easy, I'd suggest a selection screen, with varying difficulties.

When working on "Mean Santa", one player said it was too easy, and one said it was too hard.

The only way to satisfy both was to make different levels.

-John

One thing I'd recommend.

Since someone mentioned the difficulty was too easy, I'd suggest a selection screen, with varying difficulties.

When working on "Mean Santa", one player said it was too easy, and one said it was too hard.

The only way to satisfy both was to make different levels.

-John

i already did.

i'm trying to make it better with the next demo....but i kinda already did that.

basically, pressing down on the character select screen, makes the 2nd player's sprite turn darker....the darker the cpu player, the more aggressive they are.

but unfortunately, i think i need to work on it a bit more, as the differences are almost unnoticeable.....

• 4 weeks later...

I'd like to see only (or at least "primarily") characters from Atari games. Such as:

Bentley Bear

The Adventure Dragon

The Adventure Hero

Pitfall Harry (of course)

The hero from H.E.R.O

A Yar from Yars' Revenge

The Kangaroo from Kangaroo

E.T.

or any of the many others to choose from.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see only (or at least "primarily") characters from Atari games.

No for the "only" bit

and here's my reason:

Look at "Pit" from brawl.

was he on the wii?

until that game, he hasn't been in a game since the gameboy era.

look at rob.

he had no appearance on the wii i knew of, until brawl.

it's a clash of different video-game characters, but it's never exclusive to characters from one certain platform.

as for the "or primarily" bit.

once again, sorry, but it's not gonna happen.

i've already pretty much run out of room for characters.

out of all of them, i have 2 atari characters.

the hero from berserk, and pacman.

anyways, i can't continue until i can get someone to do some music for me.

i'm not good with music.

so until then, i'm sorry, but i will make no more progress.

Edited by Master_Programmer

No for the "only" bit

and here's my reason:

was he on the wii?

look at rob.

it's a clash of different video-game characters, but it's never exclusive to characters from one certain platform.

i'm not good with music.

Respectfully,

The characters in Brawl are not about being on the Wii. The smash bros series didn't even start on wii. It started on n64. The characters are about being Nintendo franchises that were on Nintendo consoles in general. Even Sonic ended up on gamecube and wii before making his way into brawl despite originally being a Sega console exclusive.

Personally, this project would interest me and probably most of the community much more if it was primarily characters that were on the 2600 like mentioned before. Which would include some nintendo characters like Mario, DK, and even possibly mega man since there was a demo of mega man made for 2600. Even Master Chief for the same reason. As it is with the current character selection, it holds little interest for me personally.

Characters like the knight from joust, bently bear, a yar, the adventure hero, adventure dragon, and definitely pitfall harry would interest people far more and even possibly make it's way to cart form because enough people would be interested. Even if E.T. was in there to give him a little redemption. Just my opinion and I think a lot of others feel the same.

Characters like Captain Falcon, Samus, Kain, Marth, Kirby, and Tails hold no interest for me personally on a 2600 game. Link maybe, but that's it really. Now if it was a nes homebrew, that would be a very different story. People would be and have been clamoring for an 8-bit version of smash bros and I think it would be very successful with those classic nes characters. Same case if it was being done for the Genesis, people would want and expect characters from Sega franchises.

In the end though, it's your game and creation, so it's entirely up to you and I respect that.

Btw, do you need someone to program the music or just write it?

Edited by Legend
  • Like 4

No for the "only" bit

and here's my reason:

was he on the wii?

look at rob.

i'm not good with music.

Respectfully,

The characters in Brawl are not about being on the Wii. The smash bros series didn't even start on wii. It started on n64. The characters are about being Nintendo franchises that were on Nintendo consoles in general. Even Sonic ended up on gamecube and wii before making his way into brawl despite originally being a Sega console exclusive.

Personally, this project would interest me and probably most of the community much more if it was primarily characters that were on the 2600 like mentioned before. Which would include some nintendo characters like Mario, DK, and even possibly mega man since there was a demo of mega man made for 2600. Even Master Chief for the same reason. As it is with the current character selection, it holds little interest for me personally.

Characters like the knight from joust, bently bear, a yar, the adventure hero, adventure dragon, and definitely pitfall harry would interest people far more and even possibly make it's way to cart form because enough people would be interested. Even if E.T. was in there to give him a little redemption. Just my opinion and I think a lot of others feel the same.

Characters like Captain Falcon, Samus, Kain, Marth, Kirby, and Tails hold no interest for me personally on a 2600 game. Link maybe, but that's it really. Now if it was a nes homebrew, that would be a very different story. People would be and have been clamoring for an 8-bit version of smash bros and I think it would be very successful with those classic nes characters. Same case if it was being done for the Genesis, people would want and expect characters from Sega franchises.

In the end though, it's your game and creation, so it's entirely up to you and I respect that.

Btw, do you need someone to program the music or just write it?

Writing the music.

i can program the 1 channel,2 channel, and even looping functions, for looping specific parts to make the song longer.

but when it comes to writing music, i just don't have it in me.

check my newest failure(no, i'm not joking or beating myself up), and you'll see what happens when i try to write music.

• 2 weeks later...

Respectfully,

Yet another voice in the chorus, looking for a more console/era-centric take on the game. Even my 10-year old son, who's a huge Smash fan, thought the selection was weird. Which again is fine, as we're not the ones doing the work, but mere armchair-designing! [ultimately, if we don't like, we should do something ourselves, right?]

I do think it's an interesting question, though: what's the point of our obsession in taking contemporary (or even just later) games and cramming them onto the VCS? Is it purely to show that it can be done, or for the nostalgic gimmick of seeing that pale imitation of what we know rendered in crude in TIA scan lines? Or is it about looking to the heart of gaming, seeing what made these great games work, and figuring out how the Atari would achieve that aim in its own, always unique, fashion?

I love Smash, and own it in other forms. I just don't want to play a stripped down, one-button version of the same old thing. I want to play an ATARI SMASH, as only a real Atari can do it, with Atari era or franchised characters. I want it to look and feel like something authentic to this little wood-grained passion of ours.

Thanks for reading.

• Like 1

and right there, that tells me i should stop trying to make the game pleasing to me.

every time i try to make the game likable to me, everyone else thinks it's off-beat/weird/stupid/crazy/etc.

no joke.

that's happened with dang-near every game i release.

Ah, man, sorry. I don't mean to be discouraging; it's awesome you're taking the time and spreading the love and all that.

But, you know, you put up a poll, you're going to get opinions!

Do what you want with your stuff. Like I said, if we don't like it, we should do something ourselves.

if there is roster criticism than this game is a success. if the game wasn't fun, no one would be saying "man, i wish i could play as _____"

this game is awesome -the roster issue is because, to me, iconic atari characters are under appreciated by modern gamers. everywhere i look is mario, but keystone kelly is no where to be seen.

every release of nintendo's smash brothers had people wishing to play as characters not on the roster - i think that's what contributed so much to the franchise's success through it's many sequels.

ultimately - this is a fun game that many people enjoy and want to play more of and you should be congratulated. i for one will be eagerly awaiting the sequel.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Remember Master: All feedback is good - even if it's wrong. With enough information you can design a game that most people will like. It keeps your perspective in check.

Sometimes the most seemingly rude and wrong critiques are actually the most informative. You really want to find out what peeps are NOT telling you. The ones who support you are always going to shy away from negative feedback.

So I take it the game's not being made anymore?

EDIT: Just tried it. I'm surprised--I thought that the game would be multiplayer-based. I can't imagine a satsifying single-player AI for a game this complicated on the 2600.

Edited by Cybearg

• 2 weeks later...

So I take it the game's not being made anymore?

Considering a hard-drive crash wiped out my source code? Not without a complete and total remake.

But the question is, does anybody more than 2 people even want me to remake this game?

EDIT:

Also, not a good idea to necropost. Even though it's a really strange rule, it's still a rule.

I tell you all what. If you can make a thread, and can get at least 10 people to post in that thread, saying they want a remake, then I'll do it.

Edited by Master_Programmer

Hey I just saw this thread for the first time, you have a great idea!!! Sorry to hear about the mishap. If you do remake it, how can you have a fighting game without Chuck Norris lol? He had an Atari 2600 game, Chuck Norris Superkicks!

I think you would have more enthusiasm if it only featured characters that appeared on the 2600. From what I've read of the thread, most of the disappointment came from the use of non-2600 characters.

I don't understand what the problem is with necro-posting. Why is it better to create a whole new thread (which would take more database space and have to have all the context for its content re-explained) rather than to continue an old discussion where it left off?

I think this is still a neat idea. It really is unfortunate you lost all the code and would have to start from scratch. Hopefully, there's enough interest to encourage you to restart the project. I do like the suggestion from Cybearg to include characters that have appeared on 2600 games. :)

I think you would have more enthusiasm if it only featured characters that appeared on the 2600. From what I've read of the thread, most of the disappointment came from the use of non-2600 characters.

I don't understand what the problem is with necro-posting. Why is it better to create a whole new thread (which would take more database space and have to have all the context for its content re-explained) rather than to continue an old discussion where it left off?

I used non-2600 characters, simply because with each character they're either a favorite of mine, such as Megaman, Sonic, and Neku Sakuraba, or they're just plain Smash Brothers tradition, such as Mario, Kirby, and Link.

I'm not going to remove Mario, Kirby, or Link, simply because it's just not smash brothers without them. I will be willing to remove Megaman, Sonic, and Neku though.

How about going four player with four paddles? The player graphics would suck 'cuz of the way you'd have to do it, but, hey! 4 players!

Can't. If I'm remaking this game, i'm remaking it right, using floating-point math. That's 4 variables per player, not to mention the cycles that'll use.

But, the upside is, thanks to metal max 2, i've learned a lot of sly tricks to improve a game.

Tricks that could allow more than 1 attack per character.

And better single-player AI. *Much* better single-player AI.