Sign in to follow this  
Dr Galaga

Arcades From BITD That Are Still Around

What arcades do you know of that were around in the 80's and are still around today?

I presented this question in another forum and these are the arcades that were given:

•  
  • Star Worlds Arcade in DeKalb, IL
  • Amusement center in Milford, CT
  • SS Billiards in Hopkins, MN
  • wizards kingdom in Manitowoc (technically a chain)
  • Pinball Pete's in Ann Arbor, Michigan
  • Playland Arcade at the Santa Monica boardwalk
  • Flipper McCoy's in Virginia Beach.
  • Boomers in South Florida (formerly Grand Prix Race O Rama and Grand Prix Golf O Rama)

What other ones are there?

[*]Pinball Pete's in Ann Arbor, Michigan

Never heard of this place but it's quite close to where I work. If anybody has been to this place recently I'd be interested to hear what good classic games they have.

Golf N' Stuff in Norwalk, CA. Their selection of classic video games has shrunk considerably in the last 10-12 years, but I still take time for a visit when I'm in the area.

I am currently down at the shore in Wildwood, NJ which I have not been to in 15 years or so. Prior to that I went with the family every year from the mid to late 70's through the mid 80's. Most of the arcades I used to haunt in the 80's are still here, they just aren't really video arcades anymore! They all have ticket games, crane games that you can never win at (with Coach purses as prizes!), and skeeball. Tucked in a corner you might find a motorcycle racing game, Dance Dance revolution (not a game in my book!), some kind of light gun game like Terminator, or a Guitar Hero. They are shells of what they used to be. I did find a cool place in the Boardwalk Mall that has a room full of old Pinballs set on free play from the 60's and 70's (no digital scoring on any of them, just mechanical dials) which for $5 you get to play for 30 minutes.

Anyway here are a few of them:

Ed's Funcade

Fascinations

Gateway

There are probably more but those are the ones I remember from the 80's.

A number of Malibu Gran Prixs are still around; they may be renamed but the places are basically still the same. One about a mile from me is still around in Beaverton, OR and has an arcade, racetrack, snack bar and batting cages. I haven't been there since the early '90s; arcades are all virtual games and ticket redemption b.s. nowadays, though there are some cool shooting games.

[*]Pinball Pete's in Ann Arbor, Michigan

Never heard of this place but it's quite close to where I work. If anybody has been to this place recently I'd be interested to hear what good classic games they have.

I go there pretty regularly. Last time I visited they had for classic games:

Tron, Donkey Kong, Mr. Do, Centipede, Frogger, Tetris, Contra, Ms. Pac-Man (speed up version), Galaga/Ms. Pac-Man as well, Outrun, POW, Street Fighter II, Street Fighter II rainbow edition bootleg, Raiden 2, Raiden Fighters, Metal Slug X, and a whole lot of other good stuff.

They do a decent job of maintenance, though not amazing. The selection is excellent, though.

there is a golfland in south San Jose that still has a pretty decent arcade of titles from the 80s and 90s.

the Electric Castle's Wunderland nickel arcades are still around in Portland but I haven't been inside one since about 1994. I'd be suprised if they looked like they did back when I used to frequent them all the time.

What arcades do you know of that were around in the 80's and are still around today?

I presented this question in another forum and these are the arcades that were given:

• Amusement center in Milford, CT

What other ones are there?

Closed. It was called Smiles for a few years but I drove by last week and they are closed.

Allan