IGNORED

Metal Storm Nintendo Power Scans

http://8bitcity.blogspot.com/2011/06/metal-storm-nintendo-power-scans.html

Enjoy. Metal Storm is one of the greatest game, and this article really demonstrates the cool Nintendo Power layout style.

Very yes. Nintendo Power was awesome back then. And I really want to play Metal Storm right now. Too bad I have real world crap keeping me away.

"As in any 'shoot em up' the ultimate goal in MetalStorm is to score as many points as possible."

Nope. This wasn't "Asteroids" or "Space Invaders". This was the Nintendo era, the beginning of the modern era of video games... where usually the ultimate goal is to see all the levels and beat the game!

"As in any 'shoot em up' the ultimate goal in MetalStorm is to score as many points as possible."

Nope. This wasn't "Asteroids" or "Space Invaders". This was the Nintendo era, the beginning of the modern era of video games... where usually the ultimate goal is to see all the levels and beat the game!

Nope? There are plenty of score based games on NES and score based games in general that aren't like Asteroids or Space Invaders. Not sure if Metal Storm is a good scoring game, but playing many NES games just to beat them hides the true fun of the games. There are plenty of pre-NES games that aren't score based as well and I feel the modern era of games began on computers rather than consoles (though the NES did help a bit).

Edited by BrianC

Metal Storm has a score? Sorry, I was too busy dodging multiple objects while falling through the screen and keeping track of gravity to notice.

I could say that about MANY NES games. How many of us noticed that classic games like Mega Man, Castlevania, Contra, Punch Out, Super Mario Brothers, and Ninja Gaiden had scores? :P

I see games like Contra and Metal Slug (not on NES, just an example of an arcade style run and gun. Contra was an arcade game first) on high score charts quite a bit. I disagree with the "beat the game" thing because many games aren't designed just to be completed. Levels and bosses aren't something that NES started since arcades did it first. Not to mention how some stage based games loop and were designed to have a small number of stages. Too many reviews I have seen stereotype games like Espgaluda II because they are score based (modern shooter, often called "old school", despite being different from older shooters).

I know many NES games, despite having score, aren't designed around it, but I mentioned I wasn't sure about Metal Storm (I was talking about the stereotype in general) so I'm surprised at the sarcasm. Capcom dropped the scoring with Mega Man after the first game, so score was definitely not important for that series.

Edited by BrianC

I know some NES games despite having score, aren't designed around it, but I mentioned I wasn't sure about Metal Storm (I was talking about the stereotype in general) so I'm surprised at the sarcasm. Capcom dropped the scoring with Mega Man after the first game.

The sarcasm wasn't aimed at you or anything, didn't mean any offense. I can see your point of view for sure.

The sarcasm was aimed at the absurdity of having a score in Metal Storm. The game is difficult enough the first play through, and after that there is a hard(impossible) mode which will give most anyone enough replay value to satisfy them. I'm sure there are some masters of Metal Storm out there who keep track of their hard mode scores though.

I know some NES games despite having score, aren't designed around it, but I mentioned I wasn't sure about Metal Storm (I was talking about the stereotype in general) so I'm surprised at the sarcasm. Capcom dropped the scoring with Mega Man after the first game.

The sarcasm wasn't aimed at you or anything, didn't mean any offense. I can see your point of view for sure.

The sarcasm was aimed at the absurdity of having a score in Metal Storm. The game is difficult enough the first play through, and after that there is a hard(impossible) mode which will give most anyone enough replay value to satisfy them. I'm sure there are some masters of Metal Storm out there who keep track of their hard mode scores though.

ok cool. I'm trying to decide between the JP and US versions of Metal Storm. I like the sprite for the JP one better (I wonder why the in game color was changed. I know it's not due to a special chip since the JP one is in a standard Nintendo made FC shell, and it seems to use the same MMC chip as the US, fom what I checked. The US artwork looks like the JP colors). I heard the JP one might be harder, but I'm not sure about this.

Edited by BrianC

ok cool. I'm trying to decide between the JP and US versions of Metal Storm. I like the sprite for the JP one better (I wonder why the in game color was changed. I know it's not due to a special chip since the JP one is in a standard Nintendo made FC shell, and it seems to use the same MMC chip as the US, fom what I checked. The US artwork looks like the JP colors). I heard the JP one might be harder, but I'm not sure about this.

I just found this wiki link that describes the regional differences. I'm surprised the American version was released first, about a year before the Japanese version.

It's a great game, the gravity aspect makes it a fun and unique experience.