IGNORED

Worst titles ever

sharapos

I've had numerous people remembering Shamus fondly and asking about it, and I personally liked Picnic Paranoia once I figured out what the hell was going on. ;)

Super Marios Bros (with the extra 's') has my continued vote for the worst commercial TI game ever, not only because it was a rip off, and a barely playable one at that, which crashed frequently, and looked awful, but because the ads claimed it "pushed the TI to its limits" while running 90% in XB and somehow managed to garner stellar reviews (I think because people were just so desperate to see well-known licenses on the TI). I paid $22 for it and I'm still bitter. ;)

I put up an old video, but a video really doesn't convey just how awful the control is. There is sound in the game, just a single channel beeping that doesn't really come across very well.

http://www.youtube.com/maliciousdolphin#p/u/20/KQ89U5CWBzA

Unfortunately I still can't commit to sharing the disk publically since it IS still copyrighted and I try to honor that. :/

I've had numerous people remembering Shamus fondly and asking about it, and I personally liked Picnic Paranoia once I figured out what the hell was going on. ;)

Super Marios Bros (with the extra 's') has my continued vote for the worst commercial TI game ever, not only because it was a rip off, and a barely playable one at that, which crashed frequently, and looked awful, but because the ads claimed it "pushed the TI to its limits" while running 90% in XB and somehow managed to garner stellar reviews (I think because people were just so desperate to see well-known licenses on the TI). I paid $22 for it and I'm still bitter. ;)

I put up an old video, but a video really doesn't convey just how awful the control is. There is sound in the game, just a single channel beeping that doesn't really come across very well.

Unfortunately I still can't commit to sharing the disk publically since it IS still copyrighted and I try to honor that. :/

wow, when i saw this game for 1st time, i thought it was a XB program to type in magazine...( like hebdogiciel for french people )

You re right. this super mario bros is a shame!

Yes, you know about Hebdogiciel. For FRench people, it 's the only type-in magazine which offer for ten years programs to type.

The quality was hasardous. But I remember the stress after a program typed to debug... long hours passed to verify etc...

Now you can list all the programs on the web ( google is your friend)

ROTFLMAO! Thanks for posting a video of this. Never knew it existed! Considering how buggy it is, the author should be ashamed it was released commercially and not as shareware.

Regarding honoring a "copyrighted" bit of software like this, do you know for a fact he secured proper licensing from Nintendo in the first place? :lol:

My vote for worst commercial cartridge ever released probably goes to Picnic Paranoia. Seems like a budget title that should have been distributed on tape for $5.99 and loaded from BASIC. Shamus is a great game comparatively. lol

Zero Zap is also another contender for the hall of shame, pretending to be a pinball game and all.

ROTFLMAO! Thanks for posting a video of this. Never knew it existed! Considering how buggy it is, the author should be ashamed it was released commercially and not as shareware.

Regarding honoring a "copyrighted" bit of software like this, do you know for a fact he secured proper licensing from Nintendo in the first place? :lol:

hehe. Pretty sure they didn't. There was a photo-copied page from the real NES SMB manual demonstrating the Mushroom/Fire Flower sequence in this manual. But just because I doubt it was valid doesn't make me feel okay putting it out there. Maybe Baker Software will pop up for us, have a sense of humor about it, and let me release it. :)

I had bought two other games from them at the same time, one a 4x4 game and one a vertical shooter. They felt much like the same game rotated 90 degrees and for the most part felt reduced to dodging exercises (especially the 4x4 game which didn't do much 4-by-ing). I do remember the end boss of the shooter was a bug-eyed cube. Neither game was spectacular but they were okay, I didn't feel ripped off on them.

Zero Zap is also another contender for the hall of shame, pretending to be a pinball game and all.

Agreed... I never really saw how Zero Zap was supposed to be entertaining for more than the first two minutes or so. Being an early cartridge it probably cost a fortune, too... ;)

• 1 month later...

My brother and I got a kick out of "Zero Zap" and thought it was a good idea. I liked the BASIC version of it from an old TI book, too. I still have the original "Super Marios Brothers" and manual and I remember being so happy to get it as a child -- but disappointed, too, since I had received better games.

Some worst titles:

- MunchMobile

- Super Marios

- Facemaker

- Star Trek

- Video Games 1

- Mind Challengers

- 4A Flyer

- King Of the Castle

- Beyond Parsec (the least original and playable)

• 3 weeks later...

That's actually a paid-for game? Wow. I thought it was just someone's demo. Wow, it should be released on tigameshelf.net just for the humor value. No, really. The game was a knockoff to begin with. heh.

The worst was Wizard's Dominion. It was a really super watered down RPG. The mazes were even simpler than in A-Maze-Ing! and you had to keep track of things on paper. Isn't that what we have computers for?

Some worst titles:

- 4A Flyer

- Beyond Parsec (the least original and playable)

Blasphemy! These are John M. Philips games!

Seriously, though. I was rather disappointed by these. I wish now I had bought "Strike 3" and "Jumpman Jr." instead. I recently found a notepad from 1980-something containing a list of modules I wanted from the Triton catalog... the later were on the same list I bought "4A Flyer" and "Beyond Parsec." *sigh*

The worst was Wizard's Dominion. It was a really super watered down RPG. The mazes were even simpler than in A-Maze-Ing! and you had to keep track of things on paper. Isn't that what we have computers for?

Gah! I loved that game when I was a kid.

Maybe it's just the nostalgia talking, or the fact that it was one of only a handful of TI games I had, or maybe even the fact that I haven't seen it in almost thirty years, but I'm still convinced that Wizard's Dominion is super-cool.

Take your "facts" and "informed opinion" and get outta here. I'll be standing over there with my giant run-on sentences, thinking about how awesome stuff I barely remember is...

• Haha 1

That has to be the best game EVER! :D

I threw up in my throat a little bit just watching it.

That has to be the best game EVER! :D

I threw up in my throat a little bit just watching it.

Micropendium gave it 3 out of 4 stars ("A good program, worth trying"). In finding the review to quote it, I see I must correct my statement from above, the game was only $9.50 plus $1.50 shipping and handling. (Of course, that was U.S. dollars, so I paid a 30% currency exchange on top of that).

Anyway.... Stan Krajewski wrote in August 91:

I have seen it advertised in the classified section of MICROpendium, a Mario Bros. game for the TI? I just had to send for that one, liking the TI as much as I do, and with someone going to the trouble of re-creating a very popular game so we can continue to use our computer and still get satisfaction out of it.

It starts out with a TI Extended BASIC loader going into assembly routines. Yes, it takes 1-2 minutes to load, but it does look interesting once you get there. At the start-up screen (level 1) in the top left hand corner it displays the Lives and Lever. Across the top are displays for the Timer, Coins and Score. Immediately you must start running your Mario to the right. You can jump hit the bricks with your head to reveal coins and mushrooms. You can get big by landing on a mushroom and collect all the coins you can. Once you are big it is easier to hit the bricks with the top of your head and, if you hit another mushroom, you turn into a firey Mario. You can then pull down on your joystick and shoot fireballs, depending which way you are facing. There are surprises, because you might jump for no reason or miss a brick and a hidden brick comes into view. You have to be careful of the bad guys, as not all of them die by jumping on them.

There are 14 levels to keep you busy, and you must make it to the flagpole to reach another level. I have wanted to keep playing again so it's not easy to lose interest in it.

Some of the bad parts are: The timer does run awfully quick. You barely have time to grab coins and mushrooms before reaching the flagpole without the timer running out. You can move both forward and backward but the screen is a little confusing as everything moves in both directions instead of just the Mario character. I have used it on both my CorComp 9900 Micro Expansion system and the P-box and it runs flawlessly most of the time. I say most of the time because I have experienced screen malfunctions on both systems, causing me to reboot.

All in all I do enjoy the program and it does have entertaining music while you play. I have not tried it on my Geneve 9640 yet, but would assume the timer would be faster than it is now.

The program is available from Baker Software [...] Sacramento, CA 95828 for $9.50 + 1.50 S+H.

It did inspire me to write more advanced stuff for the TI. I haven't really met my goals yet. ;)