IGNORED

Jagulator 2.0.0 (Preview) Released

SubQMod

Just a quick note to all to let you know that Jagulator 2.0.0 (Preview) Release is now available from http://www.jagulator.com.

As posted on the site....

Jagulator 2.0.0 (Preview) Release: Today is the day I am releasing a 'preview' release of Jagulator, the first official release of the emu since 1.5.1 (many, many years ago). I do need to point out that this is not a polished final release by any standards but provides an opportunity for all outside the project, well everyone but me ;), to get a chance at seeing how things are progressing. You can download preview release 2.0.0 HERE. No fancy installer, simply extract the contents of the zip file. No fancy manual, yet, so here are some things you NEED to know to get things going;

•  
  • Long filenames are not supported so you will need to ensure any rom images you attempt to load do not have 'spaces' in the name.
  • Jagulator has a command window style interface (what no fancy GUI!!!)
  • Typing help will show you the available commands.
  • To load a rom from the command line, type; rom <filename> ; For example; rom tempest
  • To start the rom executing after it is loaded, press F5.
  • Homebrew roms are supported but must be absolute binary files. File types with headers are not currently supported. To load these you will need to know the hexadecimal load address. Those of you who have used tools such as the Skunkboard will be familiar with this. For example, say we have a binary file of BadCoders 4m(Metal) demo with a filename of 'badcode4m' and we know the load address is $4000, we would type; rla 4000 badcode4m.
  • Again, to start a homebrew binary, press F5.
  • I have included a compatibility list of the roms/homebrews I have tested against here in the zip distribution and on the Status Page of this site. If you would like software tested against Jagulator then please send me your binary.
  • Video windows are currently a set size and I know they are not all accurate but work for now.
  • The debugger is not present in this build.
  • There is no audio or CD emulation in this build.
  • Oh, before I forget, there are not commercial or homebrew rom images supplied with this distribution. Those you will have to obtain for yourself.
  • Controller 1 is supported only in this release and it is currently a non-configurable set of keys, as follows;
  • A, B, C Buttons - 'A', 'S' and 'X'
  • Option Button - 'O'
  • Pause Button - 'P'
  • Joypad Numeric Buttons - '0' thru '9' on the numeric key pad
  • # and * Buttons - '/' and '*' on the numeric key pad

That should be enough to get things up and running for now. Please contact me if you have and issues or questions. Please remember this is not a 'finished' product and will have many faults at this point. Feedback will help me develop Jagulator further so ..... be nice........and enjoy :) :) :) :)

• Like 10

Excellent! This emulator is crazy fast. How many other "new" emulators need to have a speed limiter added straight out of the box? :)

I think once audio is added things will slow down a touch but if not I will have to added a framerate limiter in there somewhere.

Thanks for releasing this! So far, not much success for me. I can start Jagulator, load a ROM, but when I type 'go' or hit F5, the most common result is... nothing. The Jagulator screen locks up and no outuput window is created. This happens with a half-dozen ROMs I tried, including some listed on your support page and some that are not. :)

Twice I was able to get an output window to show up, but in both cases it just stayed completely black.

Are only certain ROMs supported in the emulator, or will it attempt to run anything that is a cart ROM (encrypted or not) or an absolute binary? For example, I couldn't get Phase Zero to do anything, not even an output screen.

Thanks for releasing this! So far, not much success for me. I can start Jagulator, load a ROM, but when I type 'go' or hit F5, the most common result is... nothing. The Jagulator screen locks up and no outuput window is created. This happens with a half-dozen ROMs I tried, including some listed on your support page and some that are not. :)

Twice I was able to get an output window to show up, but in both cases it just stayed completely black.

Are only certain ROMs supported in the emulator, or will it attempt to run anything that is a cart ROM (encrypted or not) or an absolute binary? For example, I couldn't get Phase Zero to do anything, not even an output screen.

Interesting you are getting no video. The first thing that springs to mind is whether you have the OpenGL graphics driver for your video card installed correctly (or at all)? SDL uses OpenGL and this is a common problem. There are no restrictions on cart roms at this point so it will attempt to run whatever you throw at it.

I have posted a video on YouTube that I created just now with it running Phase Zero -

For all you OSX users, I got this working in Crossover 8. It runs Windows programs without a Window install. I still have to figure out how to load the roms, though. I put Tempest 2000 in the roms folder, and typed the command, but no dice...

• Like 2

For all you OSX users, I got this working in Crossover 8. It runs Windows programs without a Window install. I still have to figure out how to load the roms, though. I put Tempest 2000 in the roms folder, and typed the command, but no dice...

Did you include the file extension? And then hit F5?

Just a note to let you know I am putting together a GUI to make the emu a little more user friendly. As much as I like the 'old skool' command window approach it seems most people prefer GUI. Of course with this change, long filenames etc will work. Will try to get v2.0.2 out as quickly as I can.

• Like 4

Interesting you are getting no video. The first thing that springs to mind is whether you have the OpenGL graphics driver for your video card installed correctly (or at all)? SDL uses OpenGL and this is a common problem. There are no restrictions on cart roms at this point so it will attempt to run whatever you throw at it.

I have posted a video on YouTube that I created just now with it running Phase Zero -

Sorry got my graphics api's mixed up. I meant to say SDL uses DirectX (DirectDraw) so you will need to ensure you have a current DirectX runtime installed from Microsoft.

Nope.. I'll give it a try...

Nope.. I'll give it a try...

I did this, and have gotten the Red Screen of Death, whether I load the rom, or just hit F5 without typing a file path...

Works just fine in Wine as well. /me checks... Hmm, I used v1.3.18 but it looks like v1.3.21 is out already. /me wonders if it's worth upgrading...

Personal observations: I didn't really notice any blinding speed; to be honest it looked about as fast as Virtual Jaguar with the old (read: inaccurate) blitter core. *shrug*

And don't mind me, crochety old coot that I am, as I'm going to let out a loud sigh here...

*** sigh ***

:|

I can't get Jagulator to find whatever rom I try to feed it. All it ever says is "Can't load Jaguar cartridge". I've tried variations like "Double Dragon V", "double dragon 5" and "Double Dragon V - The Shadow Falls" but nothing works.

Long filenames are not supported in the current releases. I am working on a simple gui to make rom selection and loading a 1000 times easier and more straightforward than it is now. Bear with me, this should be out soon....

• Like 3

Oh really? Huh, would never have known. I can just as easily just leave Jagulator in a drive's root directory then. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

EDIT: ... Not getting anywhere. Does Jagulator like to be in C Drive or something? I have it under F:/Jagulator. *nope, doesn't work either*

Very strange... Works for everyone else it seems, except me. :?

Edited by Koopa64

Works just fine in Wine as well. /me checks... Hmm, I used v1.3.18 but it looks like v1.3.21 is out already. /me wonders if it's worth upgrading...

Personal observations: I didn't really notice any blinding speed; to be honest it looked about as fast as Virtual Jaguar with the old (read: inaccurate) blitter core. *shrug*

And don't mind me, crochety old coot that I am, as I'm going to let out a loud sigh here...

*** sigh ***

:|

The fact that there are two Jaguar emulators being worked on is remarkable after all this time, especially so if you take into account the "difficulties" encountered in the past. I'm hoping a little friendly competitiveness will lead to a spurt in development in both projects. It's something the community has needed for such a long time and it will hopefully give those who weren't fortunate to own a Jag, back in the day, an opportunity to at least partly try the system. :thumbsup:

• Like 4

Hello

Delighted to finally download Jagulator last few days.

Alas, I have not been heard for a few commands for example start a game via the command line.

Other suggestions include a full screen display mode.

This is expected to do so in future versions?

thank you for the answer

in french

Bonjour

Ravi de pouvoir enfin télécharger Jagulator depuis quelques jours.

Hélas, je n'ai pas été entendu pour avoir quelques petites commandes pour par exemple lancer un jeu via la ligne de commande.

Autre suggestion prévoir un mode d'affichage plein écran.

Est ce prévu de le faire dans les prochaines versions ?

Merci pour la réponse

Sorry got my graphics api's mixed up. I meant to say SDL uses DirectX (DirectDraw) so you will need to ensure you have a current DirectX runtime installed from Microsoft.

I installed the latest DirectX on my Windows Vista system, but still get the same results... no ROM will run, and most won't event open the output window. If the output window does open, I get a blank box.

I'm running it (the emu and the ROMs) off a network drive... any reason it would all need to be local on my C drive?