IGNORED

Jagulator 2.0.0 (Preview) Released

SubQMod

Progress seems to be pretty ok.

Subq. If your prototyping this in c and the rewriting it to assember; are you keeping in both versions ? Id love to hear the performance difference from both ways?

If your copying the functionality one on one then it might even be interesting in making the blitter code configurable. Might prove easier when debugging later on.

• 4 weeks later...

Is this officially "finished" finished? I would like to hear more news!

JULY 22, 2011

Update #1: I will be off the project for the next couple of weeks but not for bad reasons. I am due to be married on the 2nd August so have many things to organise and plan. The project will be back in action again after this event.

My guess would be somewhere in between.

Seeing how much brute computing power is needed for an emulator like bsnes i think its next to impossible to pull this off for jaguar at the moment.

nah I dont agree. Kega Fusion is a fully mature 32x/genesis/segaCD emulator and it runs absolutely perfectly on my 5 year old pc. And that was one guy who also wrote his own codec for grabbing video etc. Its already fully mature and the guy apparently did it alone. I dont see any reason why the Jag emulators cant do the same.

I dont see any reason why the Jag emulators cant do the same.

There you have it - the JagChris verdict - if your emulator doesn't run on a 5 year old PC you're doing it wrong! :roll:

FYI JagChris, read the text below, understand the statements above in the context they were made:

bsnes is an emulator that began development on 2004-10-14. The
purpose of this emulator is a bit different from others:
it focuses on accuracy, debugging functionality, and clean code.

The emulator does not focus on things that would hinder accuracy.
This includes speed and game-specific hacks for compatibility. As a
result, the minimum system requirements for bsnes are very high.

... fully mature... already fully mature...

Ser_Cheese_CheddarMature_2478.jpg

I dont see any reason why the Jag emulators cant do the same.

There you have it - the JagChris verdict - if your emulator doesn't run on a 5 year old PC you're doing it wrong!

FYI JagChris, read the text below, understand the statements above in the context they were made:

bsnes is an emulator that began development on 2004-10-14. The
purpose of this emulator is a bit different from others:
it focuses on accuracy, debugging functionality, and clean code.

The emulator does not focus on things that would hinder accuracy.
This includes speed and game-specific hacks for compatibility. As a
result, the minimum system requirements for bsnes are very high.

... fully mature... already fully mature...

Ser_Cheese_CheddarMature_2478.jpg

Hell man I'm just going by what I'm seeing. Everything I get runs great on Kega Fusion. How would it be so different? If there is something I'm not getting I have no problem being enlightened. What do they mean by 'hinder accuracy?' As far as I can tell the Kega Fusion emulator runs the games the exact same as the Genesis/32x/Sega CD does. Is there something else its referring to as accurate? There are people using it to program for the 32x with. Maybe you're right. Maybe under there its a bunch of cobbled together hacks. If so they sure run well.

Edited by JagChris

Jagchris have a read here:

http://byuu.org/bsnes/accuracy

Kega is a great emulator but its just plainly impossible to even remotely be as accurate as bsnes. I think kega can be compared to for instance snes9x (except for the fact that kega emulates many systems and snes9x only emulates one). Read the article and you should be convinced that when it takes a fast pc to have enough accuracy to play all snes games without glitches (without game specific hacks) it will surely take more power for a jag emulator to do the same.

Oh before i offend anyone thats involved with kega fusion: it is by faaaaaar the most accurate genesis emulator ever made to this date. Eventhough it is written in assember and thus (presumably) gaining a nice speedboost compared to c or c++ emulators i dont think its possible to pull off such accuracy as bsnes with a 5 year old system.

And yes. I wish the kega author would try saturn or dreamcast. Saturn is pretty much covered by ssf but lately i noticed new ssf releases breaking more games than fixing them.

Dc emulation is at about the same state that every emulator of that generation consoles is: it runs some games or even many games but its glitchy and unstable. I guess its just near impossible to emulate such a powerfull and complex system accurately at the moment.

Akator: as cool as that sounds i think youd have a better chance nitro cooling your pc and clocking it up to 8ghz like some guy did last week. All you need is a truck with liquid nitrogen and someone who will operate the cooling system while you play games :)

The biggest issue atm is that emulating a system is not a task where multiple processor cores can be used efficiently. If only it were possible to do that then there would be no limit in emulation possibilities. I recently bought a pc for an arcade cabinet. With the budget i gave myself i could pick a quad core on 2.8 or a dual core on 3.4. I actually took the dual core because it was better for the job of emulation wheras for a normal desktop or gaming pc i would have picked the quad core without thinking twice

Edited by Putty

I guess i must be a thicko but I CAN'T see any download links (for the emulator) on the jagulator site, so perhaps subqmod could d/l the jagulator zip file on atariage

I think 2.0.2 is the latest available, it's linked right at the bottom of the main page.

I guess i must be a thicko but I CAN'T see any download links (for the emulator) on the jagulator site, so perhaps subqmod could d/l the jagulator zip file on atariage

I think 2.0.2 is the latest available, it's linked right at the bottom of the main page.

Oops, must have missed it or the text is too small

Thankyou, friend of the north

Edit... Just tried to run the proggie, keep getting 'failed to open jaguar boot rom' (I know mine work as I've just tried it with VJ and it works)

Perhaps theres a bug in the emulator or do i set fullboot to zero or one

Edited by carmel_andrews

• 4 weeks later...