IGNORED

600XL 64k upgrade pictures?

Animan

• 6 months later...

I ordered this and noticed that on both the top and bottom rows of pins that they're a pin short. Which way should I put the chips in -- open pin socket on the left or right??

So you're saying I can't use the 16-pin one that the link actually directs to?

The linked web-page states that the ICs are 18-pin DIP, if the ones you received only have 16 pins then Jameco made a mistake. What are the markings on the chips?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Foto

post-15209-0-67519100-1461618161_thumb.jpg

Instructions translated from Polish to English:

1. Remove the chip U18 ( 74S32) and insert jumper between holes on pins 8 and 10.

2. Remove chips U5 and U6 ( 74LS158 ) . Bend the pins : pin 3 of U5 , U6 to the pin 10. Insert chips back into place so that the bent pins do not come in contact with anything .

3. Connect pin 3 of the A14 U5 and U6 pin 10 of the A15 .

Finished.

This version of the upgrade most closely resembles the one I bought and installed years ago.

A jumper is used on socket U18. Mine has three pins bent up above the jumper holes with 74S32 chip replaced in the socket afterwards. The two wires from U5 and U6 are instead soldered to the points pictured and highlighted in red, as per instructions from the kit I received. No puzzle there, just alternate spots on the same two traces up by the U5 socket.

I am curious about the lack of a third wire coming off U18, with the jumper being used instead on that socket with three pins bent up. Also, there was no mention of resistor R36 or U16 in the upgrade kit I bought back in the 80s.

I'm planning to upgrade another 600XL using the two wire + jumper method pictured. Is there any reason to avoid this particular version?

post-15209-0-15108800-1461619713_thumb.jpg

Curious as to why some fly and others don't, I've looked at the schematic for the 600XL to compare it to the 800XL and they are doing things a bit different in the 600XL which may be the problem. The pair of 158s isn't wired the same and they use a different timing to multiplex in A14 and A15 which is a red flag to me - why do this part different?

RodLightning - your alternate method winds up being the same as other versions, it's just done differently so I wouldn't avoid it, especially if it works. Lifted resistor doesn't need lifting with the jumper used in the 74S32 chip socket but wire size for the jumper has to be pretty close to perfect match with chip pin width I would think. Avoid that issue by soldering the jumper onto the bottom of the socket pins and you get rid of connection problems at the same time.

Edit - so now I see the three pins bent up and never mind about soldering the underside, jumper has the socket all to itself there.

Edited by 1050
  • Like 1

both the 64k and the 'Jeff Popp' version of the AV mod can be done in about an hour or so, there is another AV mod for the 600XL, and that can be done with 64k mod in about 30-35mins...

and every 600XL i have seen the AV mod can be done, but there is a 600XL version it cant be done (easily) on, and i have only known of ONE of these machines in all my years with atari...

sloopy.

• rank_joysticks_7.gif
  • 2,659 posts
  • If it aint broke, fix it anyway!

Sent Today, 2:38 PM

Hahah. Wow. Where'd you dig up that artifact?

ok. First, Yeah thats a standard PORTB banked upgrade.. You cant use that in the same machine along with Ultimate 1meg.,

Second, theres no way in hell, in this day & age, I'd build a 256k upgrade using 256k x 1bit drams. Especially if you intend to install other upgrades on the same machine.

Third, thats 64k base, plus 192k extended.. Basically like a Rambo XL or Newell 256k in an 800XL. Most things these days expect the "XE style" extended ram denominations.. eg. 320k, 576k, 1088k.. Not the XL (256, 512, 1024) ones..

You know what makes a damn good 600XL upgrade? Go ahead and do the standard 64k upgrade, and then do Hias's 576k SRAM upgrade. Its a single 512K SRAM chip, piggybacked on top of your OS ROM, a single 20 pin GAL, and about 12-wires to hook it up.

Gives you true 130XE compatability (including separate antic/cpu access to extended ram, which that POOP upgrade doesn't so its not truly 130xe compatible), 576k (512k extended) ram, and if you install a switch, you can flip between 64k/320k/576k modes..

my original..

Jeff Poop 256k upgrade..

for your perusal..

Attached Files

Sounds like this old school thing wont work for what we want.. just sayin'

Douglas

ok. First, Yeah thats a standard PORTB banked upgrade.. You cant use that in the same machine along with Ultimate 1meg.,

Douglas,

Which one is the standard PORTB upgrade and how is it incompatible with Ultimate 1mb? There is a lot of confusing info scattered around the internet about XL memory upgrades, and I'm curious.

I made the 64k upgrade to my "empty" 600XL, too. You have to look close to see the wires.

Oh, and btw, i use solder with less flux now. That job was done like 5 years ago.

post-8944-0-87588700-1462005841_thumb.jpg

post-8944-0-61936900-1462006009_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beetle
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'm not sure where I went wrong. I installed the 64k upgrade in my 600XL but the memory test only shows 48K and 48K games on floppy won't load (Beach Head) says "48K RAM not available, please rectify".

Everything works fine except it acts like it's still only 16K when turned on, except the memory test which shows 48K as I mentioned above.

Yes, they are. Strangely, they were bent out and pre-jumpered to pins 4&5 on the R8323 chip when I opened up the computer for the first time. I've never seen that variation before but I tested it after removing those jumpers and it worked fine so I proceeded with the 64K upgrade.

Edited by joelm