IGNORED

Battlezone vs Robot tank

atari5200dude82

I prefer Battlezone over Robot Tank, but not by much. I like the more realistic dodging you have to do on Battlezone which plays more like driving a tank. :)

Agreed.

Battlezone may be one of the best titles on the 2600.

Then again, so is Robot Tank.

I think Robot Tank has more "advanced" features. I love the weather and time-of-day changes, the moving radar sweep, and the on-screen text messages. But Battlezone has better enemy tank movement for sure. I love that the enemies have to turn slowly towards you before they can fire at you. On Robot Tank, the enemy tanks seem to just face one side direction or the other and can fire at you no matter which way they're facing.

Both games are pretty fun and offer pretty cool graphics for the 2600.

• Like 1

I don't have much to add to what has alreday been said -- but I certainly prefer Robot Tank.

I really like how individual systems can be damaged (e.g. video, radar, movement) yet the tank can still function. I once finished a round "blind" with no functioning video or radar!

Edited to add that I just realised that Battlezone was not re-released by Atari in a modern compilation, although most (all?) of their other vector games (i.e. Asteroids/Deluxe, Space Duel, Major Havok, and Tempest) were. :ponder:

Edited by jhd
  • Like 1

Some bright programmer needs to do a rewrite of the VCS Battlezone game that allows dual joystick use for left-right turning, just like the arcade version. Hint, hint...

Let me know when you get done with that ... AWESOME!

Probably would also need to put together some sort of stand to put the controllers in to keep them steady.

• Like 1

I just realised that Battlezone was not re-released by Atari in a modern compilation, although most (all?) of their other vector games (i.e. Asteroids/Deluxe, Space Duel, Major Havok, and Tempest) were. :ponder:

Are you saying there was some particular compilation that was missing Battlezone? It's on the Nintendo DS in Atari's Greatest Hits Volume 1.

Some bright programmer needs to do a rewrite of the VCS Battlezone game that allows dual joystick use for left-right turning, just like the arcade version. Hint, hint...

It's called Battlezone TC.

Edited to add that I just realised that Battlezone was not re-released by Atari in a modern compilation, although most (all?) of their other vector games (i.e. Asteroids/Deluxe, Space Duel, Major Havok, and Tempest) were. :ponder:

It can't think of many modern Atari compilations that don't have Battlezone. It's in Atari 80 in 1 on PC (and previous PC collections), Atari Greatest Hits iPad, Atari Anthology for Xbox and PS2, one of the DS Atari Greatest Hits collections, Atari Anniversiary Edition DC, and Atari Anniversary Edition Redux PSX. Some of these collections have the 2600 one, as well.

Edited by BrianC

I like Robot Tank for its more complex game mechanics but I've always played Battlezone the most. I love the intensity as you're turning to get a tank in your sights and you can see that it's doing the same thing and it's all down to who gets there first. It's also cool seeing the enemy's bullets whiz by you as you narrowly escape their trajectory. Plus, Battlezone has a better death screen. :)

• Like 1