IGNORED

Upcoming Virtual Jaguar 2.0.0 release

Shamus

My, how times have changed. :P And with that bit of inflammatory rhetoric out of the way, how about some news on the upcoming release of Virtual Jaguar? ;)

Since GUIs seem to be all the rage these days, and people just seem to like the shiny-shiny, Virtual Jaguar has jumped on this particular bandwagon with a vengeance! :D What will this new version of Virtual Jaguar bring you?

• A spiffy, brand new GUI built on Qt technology! Cross platform, of course! ;)
  • 100% more or less the same compatibility as the old version!
  • It will no longer rape your dog!
  • Did we mention the SHINY, SHINY NEW GUI! IT WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE! Your friends will be amazed and your enemies will be speechless!
  • More exclamation points!!!!!!

You'll ooh and ahh at all the crunchy, yet gooey goodness that this latest new version will bring you! You'll be amazed! It will cross-collateralize your six-sigma indexing by managing your end-to-end supply-chain with leading-edge, intuitive, robust, scalable and seamless systems convergence deliverables! You'll be the envy of all your neighbors! Just think how green they'll be once they learn you're using Virtual Jaguar 2.0.0! JUST THINK!!!

Its new menus will get you playing your favorite Jaguar games over 130% faster than the old Virtual Jaguar! It's whizzy new file selector will leave you gasping in astonishment! Overall, the new Virtual Jaguar 2.0.0 will improve you life by an amazing 5,327%!!! Go out and get a copy RIGHT NOW!!!

Did I say go and get yourself a sandwich? I SAID RIGHT NOW!!!1!!!!!111!!!

Err, uh, wait a minute. It's not ready. :P

Ok, well, maybe the preceding was a bit of an exaggeration. In non-market speak:

Most of the action has been going on in the qt-experimental branch and I held off announcing it because, well, it was in a very sad and broken state. But now it's actually looking pretty good, if I do say so myself. ;) The adventurous can play with it by downloading and compiling from source. Point your handy-dandy svn tool at:

https://shamusworld.gotdns.org/svn/virtualjaguar/branches/qt-experimental

Once I get it to the place where it needs to be (basically, all GUI functionality in place and working) I'll be merging it back into trunk and it will be the mainline code from then on. All I ask is those who make binaries from this stuff and post them is not to misrepresent what it is, which is an SVN snapshot. Naturally, I'd be curious to know what issues people running into compiling this on the win32 platform (Mac too!). Post your experiences here and I'll try to respond as quickly as I can.

Thanks for reading. :)

• Like 13

Hopefully with enough interest in it people will be willing to compile and distribute binaries for their favorite platform as I alone do not possess the means to do so. :)

To those compiling along at home, from r340 onward you should be able to press keys and make stuff happen in VJ (ATM they're hardwired to arrows and ZXC for C, B, and A). Have fun! :D

Edited by Shamus

Hopefully with enough interest in it people will be willing to compile and distribute binaries for their favorite platform as I alone do not possess the means to do so. :)

To those compiling along at home, from r340 onward you should be able to press keys and make stuff happen in VJ (ATM they're hardwired to arrows and ZXC for C, B, and A). Have fun! :D

Need to set back up my Mac dev environment and see if this will compile. I'm sure it will. Anyway, probably a month before I can get to that. And GCC 4.4? Not sure I have that. I think I have as high as 4.. maybe Apple has some updates to 4 to bring it up to 4.4

Well, it doesn't use any fancy features of 4.4.x, so *should* compile on an older GCC. Most of what the newer versions have done is force me to clean up the code. :D Actually, I'm kinda surprised that Apple hasn't rolled out the 4.4.x version yet; it's stable and in maintenance mode as the GCC guys are tooling up for 4.6.

Apple have always been a bit shit about keeping up with the latest versions of things. Also they've now started charging for xcode! Cheeky gits.

I'd offer to build a binary but you've got a load of dependancies I would prefer not to have to track down and build. The one thing macs have never had was a good package management system (yes I know there are two of them but I don't really like either one).

Laziness is its own reward, I guess. :D

I guess I'm spoiled, I have an excellent package manager that makes it dead easy to get dependencies. Maybe I should put links in the INSTALL file? :P

ZLIB: http://www.zlib.net/

SDL: http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php

Qt: http://qt.nokia.com/downloads/

libcdio: http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/libcdio/ (this is optional)

Still, three dependencies (four if you want libcdio) isn't bad. The only one that would take time to build from source is Qt, and I think there are pre-built binaries for that.

I guess I might as well put this out there, since the release is pretty close: Is there anyone out there willing and able to build win32 and Mac versions? If so, please post. :)

Maybe a screenshot to entice you? :D

post-4305-0-33593100-1308847283_thumb.png

I was unable to get it to build in Windows, it had a zlib not found error; something to do with pkg-config. Tried it with precompiled zlib and compiling zlib myself.

Mitch

same here.

Wasnt really sure wether I was just missing a script or missing a tool. Tried looking on google and found something named pkg-config.

So when trying to compile that it required glib. so after half an hour of compiling glib. then compiling pkg-config still the same when trying to build vj.

Guess I'm too spoiled with integrated IDE's. I'm usually only used to using the environment instead of configuring it. Bet I would have had it running within half an hour if I would have a gentoo install. But then that would not run on win32 either :)

Edited by Putty

I was unable to get it to build in Windows, it had a zlib not found error; something to do with pkg-config. Tried it with precompiled zlib and compiling zlib myself.

Mitch

same here.

Wasnt really sure wether I was just missing a script or missing a tool. Tried looking on google and found something named pkg-config.

So when trying to compile that it required glib. so after half an hour of compiling glib. then compiling pkg-config still the same when trying to build vj.

Guess I'm too spoiled with integrated IDE's. I'm usually only used to using the environment instead of configuring it. Bet I would have had it running within half an hour if I would have a gentoo install. But then that would not run on win32 either :)

Sounds like you had almost the same experience as me.

I found a couple different compiled version of pkg-config on the internet but they didn't work for me either.

Mitch

Funny it tells me there is no zlib. I checked and i do have the zlib1.dll file in my bin folder.

In the image you see I run pkg-config from the commandline and as it executes it tells to it needs input params. So it seems to be in my path.

Any idea anyone?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/840/pkgconfig.png/

I'm off to the competition for today. Would like to see if I can get that compatibility list up to date (I mean its like over 24h old OMG).

Yep, that's the exact same error I am getting.

I just did some Google searching and I found this:

Add pkg config path variable

Add the following line to the *top* of C:\MSys\1.0\msys.bat:

set PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/win32/lib/pkgconfig

I can't test it till this evening though.

Mitch

Hm, I didn't think pkg-config would cause so much trouble. :P I was simply trying to figure out a cross-platform way to detect this stuff (which is why the Qt and OpenGL tests are unpopulated). You can bypass the zlib check in the makefile by removing all the stuff after "check-zlib: msg-ck-zlib" on that line. Same goes for any other check that fails.

And no, I will not consider autotools. No, no, a thousand times NO! :P Maybe I should think about cmake, though. :ponder:

Going from memory, generally, if you configure, make and make install inside of MSys (MinGW's command line environment) it should install things where MinGW expects them and stuff should just work. Been a while since I've used it though, so that may no longer be the case.

Let me know how it goes with the pkg-config var. :)

If you configured and made pkg-config inside of Msys/MinGW, the VJ makefile should be able to pick it up properly. Not sure why it didn't, unless you're not doing your building inside of the Msys environment. :(

BTW, on Gentoo you would have had it faster, as all you would have to do is:

emerge virtualjaguar

:D

Ok, OSX build news: it's annoying as all hell.

Macs can install libraries either in the unix way (/usr/local/lib), or the mac way (/Library/Frameworks). Any pre-bundled package of them is going to come as a framework, in order to get a unix-style library installed, one has to build it from source. It is possible to fix your makefile to look for the framework installs, I think, but I haven't looked into it since I'm a bit busy and a lot lazy.

I'm going to install SDL and zlib from source (despite already having both as frameworks), just please tell me Qt doesn't have to be built again from source. I've already got it installed (and used, love it) and really don't want to have to mess around with it too much.

Edit: oh yes, and you have to add /usr/local/lib and /usr/local/bin to your path in order to find the damned things once they're in, they're not there by default on macs.

Edit 2: ARRGH! Add pkg-config to the list of things needed but not there by default. This is why mac uses hate linux developers, too many assumptions about what a unix environment looks like.

Edited by Tyrant
  • Like 1

If you configured and made pkg-config inside of Msys/MinGW, the VJ makefile should be able to pick it up properly. Not sure why it didn't, unless you're not doing your building inside of the Msys environment. :(

BTW, on Gentoo you would have had it faster, as all you would have to do is:

emerge virtualjaguar

:D

"./configure && make && make install" (within msys) is what I used for most of the libs I compiled. Some of them didnt have a configure script but did have a series op copy commands listed.

Your statement on gentoo is not quite true unless someone has already added the latest vj revision to portage. However it would be a lot easier to fetch and compile all the dependencies.

edit:

Well it started compiling but I'm having issues with qt includes. Ill give it another go tomorrow. it's getting late down here.

Edited by Putty

ok, I give up, it won't find Qt, and I won't piss around installing it from source.

I'm not 100% sure where the Qt binary packages drop stuff, I think some is in /Library/Frameworks and some in /Developer

I'm really having a hard time understanding the difficulty here, if Qt installs itself and the environment is sane it should have includes and headers where the build system can find them. This "Mac Way" vs. "Unix Way" doesn't make the slightest bit of sense, again, if the environment is sane. You can open up a terminal and type qmake, right? If so, I don't know what the problem is other than the makefile having a test for Qt (which can be easily bypassed, BTW) that doesn't work on the Mac because the main developer of Virtual Jaguar (me) doesn't have access to a Mac development environment.

Mac developers can get all pissed about Linux developers making assumptions about build systems but that's going to get them nowhere and it only makes Mac developers look like a bunch of whiny, snotty, ivory tower dwellers. The only thing that's going to make things any better is an open dialog between the two developer camps, not name calling and ire. :roll:

• Like 2

I'm getting an error during compile on Snow Leopard.

src/gui/configdialog.cpp:1: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction setsrc/gui/generaltab.cpp:1: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction setsrc/gui/about.cpp:1: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set
src/gui/app.cpp:1: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set

I have a 2011 Macbook Pro with a Core i7 processor (Sandy Bridge).

EDIT:

If I use 'make' instead of 'make -j6', it shows the error actually coming from about.cpp.

src/gui/about.cpp:1: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set