IGNORED

Upcoming Virtual Jaguar 2.0.0 release

Shamus

Where there actually any popular systems that used the '060 (apart from numerous miggy and falcon/tt upgrades, though i have'nt heard of any st upgrades using '060) as the preferred processor

Nope. Just Amiga, Atari, and a couple Mac upgrade cards from third parties. Which is too bad as it was an excellent processor - more than a match for the Pentium at the time. Motorola abandoned it for the PowerPC. :(

Nope. Just Amiga, Atari, and a couple Mac upgrade cards from third parties. Which is too bad as it was an excellent processor - more than a match for the Pentium at the time. Motorola abandoned it for the PowerPC. :(

I think the network kit of the era used them. Eg Cisco 2500 routers feature the 68030 in some models, dare say the bigger devices will have used the bigger devices.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, I guess Ryan is doing some maintenance on icculus.org as the main page is gone too. :P

The latest development series can always be found on http://outrage.the-crow.co.uk/builds/, what's on the main site is always the latest official release. Also, support for gamepads was taken out since before the official 2.0.0 release and will finally return in the 2.1.0 release.

That said, 2.1.0 is just around the corner. Just have to polish a few things and decide whether or not a few regressions are worth holding up the release anymore. I'm thinking no, since the performance of it is so much better now than it was. :)

• Like 3

Well, I guess Ryan is doing some maintenance on icculus.org as the main page is gone too. :P

The latest development series can always be found on http://outrage.the-crow.co.uk/builds/, what's on the main site is always the latest official release. Also, support for gamepads was taken out since before the official 2.0.0 release and will finally return in the 2.1.0 release.

That said, 2.1.0 is just around the corner. Just have to polish a few things and decide whether or not a few regressions are worth holding up the release anymore. I'm thinking no, since the performance of it is so much better now than it was. :)

Do these still need the QT stuff, if not, is the Version of VJ without the QT stuff been updated along with your updates (and link please)

Edited by carmel_andrews

I checked out the latest from GIT and compiled on OS X 10.8.2. Performance is much better than 2.0.2, but it's still fairly choppy and sound has a lot of static. The windows builds which were linked to don't have this issue. Is this currently a known issue for Mac builds?

For reference, this is running on a 2.2Ghz Core i7 with 16GB RAM.

EDIT:

Just to add ... CPU utilization never exceeds 82% (usually down around 50%) and anywhere from 3 to 6 threads will be active at a given time.

The sound problems can even be heard from from the opening BIOS screen.

To be honest I don't know what the problem could be as your machine has more than enough raw oomph to run VJ without problems (other than those that we know about). :(

Choppy video could be bad OpenGL drivers and/or bad Qt timers; static-y sound could be an SDL issue, a sound IRQ issue, any number of things. By all rights, it should work just as well as the Linux and Windows versions...

Do any other SDL/OpenGL apps compiled from source exhibit the same problems? If so, then it could be libraries that out of whack. Other than that, I haven't the foggiest.

Well, it could be that the OS isn't giving the sound IRQ enough time to do its thing then. It's hard to say without knowing what VJ is getting for running time. If you have a system monitor which shows CPU utilization graphically (something gkrellm for Linux) that might yield some clues.

Can you run the Windows version on your machine through Wine? If it performs as poorly as the native one, that would also tell something. :)

Can you run the Windows version on your machine through Wine? If it performs as poorly as the native one, that would also tell something. :)

I can't get it working at all through Wine. It starts to load the app, but the UI never displays.

It works fine under both Parallels and VMware Fusion.

Yup, the native app on OS X is noticibly worse than in Windows through virtualization.

Here's what I'm using to build. Everything is the latest from Macports:

gcc - 4.2.1 (from latest Xcode release)

SDL - 1.2.15

zlib - 1.2.7

QT - 4.8.3

I've tried compiling with GCC 4.4 and higher, but get the following error while building:

g++: unrecognized option '-Xarch_x86_64'
cc1plus: error: unrecognized command line option "-arch"

Also, not sure where that -Xarch_x86_64 flag is coming from, it sure doesn't come from us. ;)

Here's where it comes during the build process:

-e *** Making Virtual Jaguar GUI...

g++ -c -pipe `sdl-config --cflags` -O2 -ffast-math -fomit-frame-pointer -arch x86_64 -Xarch_x86_64 -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 -Wall -W -D__GCCUNIX__ -D__THINK_STUPID__ -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_OPENGL_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.3/mkspecs/macx-g++ -I. -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.3/lib/QtCore.framework/Versions/4/Headers -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.3/include/QtCore -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.3/lib/QtGui.framework/Versions/4/Headers -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.3/include/QtGui -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.3/lib/QtOpenGL.framework/Versions/4/Headers -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.3/include/QtOpenGL -I/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.3/include -Isrc -Isrc/gui -I/System/Library/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework/Versions/A/Headers -I/System/Library/Frameworks/AGL.framework/Headers -Iobj -F/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.8.3/lib -o obj/about.o src/gui/about.cpp

It's likely coming from QT.

Those -X and -m look like Apple specific extensions to gcc. Maybe qmake tuned its output for the Apple version of gcc? If so, perhaps doing a "make clean" before compiling with the newer compiler will help. :ponder:

Yes, they are Apple specific and QT is building its makefile using Apple specific syntax. This behaviour happens regardless of what compiler is set to default before a clean compile.