IGNORED

What upgrades are these?

Rachel-Emma

These pictures were taken by me today of my Dads 130XE that he bought when the computer was released in 1985. It has been stored away for some time and has not had any power through it for at least 12 years as he had a few problems with it. I am hoping to get it fixed though.

If anyone can tell me what upgrades have been done to this board, please come forward ;)

post-28818-0-81648600-1308755660_thumb.jpg

post-28818-0-18007000-1308755696_thumb.jpg

These pictures were taken by me today of my Dads 130XE that he bought when the computer was released in 1985. It has been stored away for some time and has not had any power through it for at least 12 years as he had a few problems with it. I am hoping to get it fixed though.

If anyone can tell me what upgrades have been done to this board, please come forward ;)

The Atari chip on the board is an OS.

Hi,

Here's another photo, which shows what appears to be a red PCB dangling at the front of the case:

This is an internal Centronics / Parallelport solution for using a standard Centronics printer. There´s a second PIA installed over the existing one (the second PIA is a 6821, which is nearly the same line 6520). The eprom and OS ROM adaptor PCB contains a special OS version with a modded "P:" handler, so every program that prints data to "P:" automatically works with the expansion.

I found this article from Erich Hauer (sorry - only in german) with schematics.

Hope that helps, Juergen

bpl_xle_b169.zip

Edited by tf_hh
  • Like 1

Could be an original Cupid? Suppose it depends on when it got its upgrade. The UK scene was pretty vibrant just before your dad put it into storage. So it could have been fitted or supplied later by someone like Derek Fern or Dean Gerraghty.

I have a Cupid interface one in one of my XLs but I'm pretty sure that the PIA is piggy-backed in that. Mine is undoubtedly a more recent hack job, probably from internet documents.

Could be an original Cupid? Suppose it depends on when it got its upgrade. The UK scene was pretty vibrant just before your dad put it into storage. So it could have been fitted or supplied later by someone like Derek Fern or Dean Gerraghty.

I believe the guy that fitted and made this was a guy known as "Jaffa" aka Ian Halliwell. He nearly got caught in the 80's because he made excellent duplicate copies of the US Doubler.

I believe the guy that fitted and made this was a guy known as "Jaffa" aka Ian Halliwell. He nearly got caught in the 80's because he made excellent duplicate copies of the US Doubler.

I understand he also had a sideline in counterfeit cakes... ahem. :)

heehee :P something like that

• 3 years later...

ok well i now im years laet in this but soory not touched an 8 bit for god nows how long

the 2 mods on 800xl are cupid printer inteface and contoller board both used to be sold by computer house

the later printer port was ever a 6821 or best a 68b21 pia chip

both of these look pretty sad ripoff of real thing and iv seen quiet a lot of others work an bady copys and ahd to re worked yes mr fern if your reading even your repirs

oh best say who i am most old 8 biters new me as a part of lace (london atari compuetr en) so if you ever find a 320 xe wiht cupid and 2 nice clear led probaly one of mine same as 256 xls