IGNORED

maybe we should learn a thing or two from the retro computers fans!

sermajic

With the ColecoVision, there are very few Hardcore fans. Posting roms would cheapen the whole ColecoVision scene to the point that there would be almost no interested whatsoever.

Anytime you give things away, you make it seem less desirable. Of course everybody wants "something for nothing" but once you they have it, they disappear and wait for the next hand out.

I personally resent the OP coming into the CV forums and starting this shit, this thread and all like it should not be "locked" they should be "deleted", and a warning that if another is started they will be permanently banned from AtariAge.

why ?

because you don`t agree?

With the ColecoVision, there are very few Hardcore fans. Posting roms would cheapen the whole ColecoVision scene to the point that there would be almost no interested whatsoever.

Anytime you give things away, you make it seem less desirable. Of course everybody wants "something for nothing" but once you they have it, they disappear and wait for the next hand out.

I personally resent the OP coming into the CV forums and starting this shit, this thread and all like it should not be "locked" they should be "deleted", and a warning that if another is started they will be permanently banned from AtariAge.

why ?

because you don`t agree?

Just be glad I am not a moderator.

you can run full games from usb, they are cracked all over the net, email me if you wan`t the links!

did you look at xbox live arcade lately?

they`re not selling any less games because they also offer them as downloads!

and we all know its so easy to pirate them with an usb stick if you google a bit, so the drm cart issue logic does not work here

but then...

...good luck living under that rock...

???!!! They offer their game as DEMO, you must buy it to unlock all the game feature. And i think i can google during 100 years, there is no tools to put the XBLA games on USB stick to pirate them. Don't use false example to impose your opinion.

I'm not interested in pirated game ... I have already more than 800 games in my collection from Atari 2600 to XBOX 360 and not enough life remaining to finish them all. And with the ColecoVision i pass more time developing game than playing (And my head is full of idea for tons of new games original/adaptation !!).

BUT ... i'm interested about your link, because i'm sure it is impossible to play game on USB with a 360 without modding the console. And i'm sure it's impossible to play XBLA games even with a modified console.

oh!!! 800 games...

you don`t need to mod the console,

and just knowing how to do it does not mean you are or will be a pirate!

i could easily dump carts,

again it can be googled in seconds

does that mean i will do it?

of course not

pd:about the 360,

google is your friend...

check at taringa

its all over there

No, i absolutly don't tell you're a pirate ... I just say that i doubt (note that know you give me some information, i don't say i'im sure :D) that's possible.

Edit : End of the discution on this point for me.

Edited by bfg.gamepassion

opcode beat me to it, but sermajic, this ends your argument. :? :sad: :ponder:

you can run full games from usb, they are cracked all over the net, email me if you wan`t the links!

and we all know its so easy to pirate them with an usb stick if you google a bit, so the drm cart issue logic does not work here

but then...

???!!! They offer their game as DEMO, you must buy it to unlock all the game feature. And i think i can google during 100 years, there is no tools to put the XBLA games on USB stick to pirate them. Don't use false example to impose your opinion.

what if you want the "retro" thing in a shelf

and the convenience of a file on your sd cart on your console?

don`t you think there`s a market there too?

About ROM distribution in matter of homebrews , i'm against it is not "retro". In 1982 you would never have a coleco game available online! ;)

I don't care about "Market" . I don't talk about business. If i code Game for colecovision it is not for money. It is just passion.

in fact it is just an egoist pleasure. When i code a game it is first for me. The fact that others like the game and want buy it is in fact just a nice side effect.:)

I consider game programming on retro console like an Art. (as could be painting) and my "creation" is the "game+packaging" in a whole. (even i don't make the packaging myself i contribute in the design)

Offering rom as download , would be like if a Painter offered the painting without the canvas...

I don't care about "Market" . I don't talk about business. If i code Game for colecovision it is not for money. It is just passion.

in fact it is just an egoist pleasure. When i code a game it is first for me. The fact that others like the game and want buy it is in fact just a nice side effect.:)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'm not saying that handing out ROMs for free before a cart run works for everybody. I'm just saying that if you offer a multi-tier release e.g. cart on its own (least expensive) through to deluxe e.g. cart, instructions, box and maybe other goodies (most expensive) then there is a price point for everybody.

As you pointed out I actually don't think releasing the ROM hurts sales that much, it is just that it isn't the way I would like people to experience the games. My main motivation when I make them is to see them released as a packaged product, not because of the money or anything, but because that is the way I like to experience those games myself; I don't buy loose cartridges or CDs or whatever, I to be honest I don't like digital. I like to hold tangible stuff..

Now the model you are suggesting doesn't make much sense to me unfortunately because as Pixelboy pointed out, the costs to have the packages done are very high, and low quantities aren't an option, especially in my case, where I don't use laser printing at all. With offset printing it doesn't matter if you order 10 or 500, the price is almost the same, because the setup costs are really high. So if I offer different options, like loose cartridge, full package and digital, in the end those sales are coming all from the same pool, so the more loose and digital I sell, the less full package I sell, and that makes even harder to justify the costs of having the packaging printed in the first place.

That can also be frustrating, because once I get out of packaging for a given game, like Space Invaders Collection, it is hard to justify another run, though in SIC's case I still plan to do that eventually. Actually I want to get back to that game first and fix some stuff, but for that I need to find some free time, which is quite a rare bird those days... :P

Eduardo

About ROM distribution in matter of homebrews , i'm against it is not "retro". In 1982 you would never have a coleco game available online! ;)

I consider game programming on retro console like an Art. (as could be painting) and my "creation" is the "game+packaging" in a whole. (even i don't make the packaging myself i contribute in the design)

Offering rom as download , would be like if a Painter offered the painting without the canvas...

the fact IS that the game will be out eventually as digital download,

even if is takes years

so why not make some money off it?

didn`t want to post a link, but :

http://www.taringa.net/posts/juegos/10616774/Como-meter-juegos-xbox-live-arcede-por-usb.html

can be done, its easy, and no i don`t do it ,

because i buy the game anyway from the store

its also very easy with rebug firmware on a playstation 3

-but in this case, yes, you have to flash your console-

the same can be applied to dumping carts,

do you want me to post a link with detailed instructions in english and pictures

so that even you can undertand them?

just takes second to find it,

that doesn`t mean i will/would do it

just that i think hombrewers should take the advantages new technologies provide

and get the most money out of their games

that means more games for anyone!

more carts for the shelf sealed

and maybe more images on the sd cart to play

opcode beat me to it, but sermajic, this ends your argument. :? :sad: :ponder:

but then...

Edited by sermajic

Ok seriously enough already. You are not gaining any support. First, your link is useless, I see nothing at least in a language I can read. Nobody is arguing WHAT CAN BE DONE, or that roms can be dumped, pirated etc. Sorry but you lose all credibility offering to supply info / links to cracked XBLA games on USB stick if someone Emails you. No more links are necessary, most of us are well aware of what is possible especially if we consider illegal or unethical means.

It is pretty clear, you want something and your not going to get it, please just get over it. All your examples of pirating and proof of what can be done still does not make it right. Obviously no matter how much the authors of these ports or homebrews explain to you why the will not offer their roms you will not accept it, that is fine, you want what you want but going on about it is not going to change their view, move on already. :roll: at this point your just making yourself look bad, oh and really stop trying to play it off like you have a sincere interest in the developers of these ROMS making more money, it is clear what you propose is for your own selfish gain, if your so concerned they make more $$$ just leave them alone to decide for themselves what is best which they clearly have done, you just refuse to listen.

In closing I will let the rest of you deal with this guy form this point on, I can see clearly where the discussion is going. I only wish to add that yeah, I am in desperate financial positions these last couple years, sure I would love ROMS of all your great ports and homebrews etc, but if they are not available to me, or you chose not to make them available I respect and understand your decisions. I THINK until I can sort out my financial issues and once again afford your great carts I can survive, I am sure I can find one or two other Colecovision, 2600, 7800 etc, ROMS to play while I am waiting, I will not try to talk you into releasing the rom for free or low price merely to satisfy my selfish need to play your work lol! ;) Thanks for all you guys do to keep our classic systems new and exciting!

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 4

Ok seriously enough already. You are not gaining any support. First, your link is useless, I see nothing at least in a language I can read. Nobody is arguing WHAT CAN BE DONE, or that roms can be dumped, pirated etc. Sorry but you lose all credibility offering to supply info / links to cracked XBLA games on USB stick if someone Emails you. No more links are necessary, most of us are well aware of what is possible especially if we consider illegal or unethical means.

It is pretty clear, you want something and your not going to get it, please just get over it. All your examples of pirating and proof of what can be done still does not make it right. Obviously no matter how much the authors of these ports or homebrews explain to you why the will not offer their roms you will not accept it, that is fine, you want what you want but going on about it is not going to change their view, move on already. :roll: at this point your just making yourself look bad, oh and really stop trying to play it off like you have a sincere interest in the developers of these ROMS making more money, it is clear what you propose is for your own selfish gain, if your so concerned they make more $$$ just leave them alone to decide for themselves what is best which they clearly have done, you just refuse to listen.

Very well said Sir! I could not have said it better, even if I sat here for an hour and edited a post +1...wish I could make it a +10

Edited by Yurkie
  • Like 1

so just because you can`t read spanish that makes the link useless?

even though i speak 4 languages i still can use google translator to read sites from china!

and

yes, if you read previous posts ,

(they are in ENGLISH by the way),

they write me that microsoft only releases demos and that`s why their live service is so successful

and that you can`t play their games if you don`t buy from the store,

just proven them wrong, nothing more.

i don`t have any economic interest at all in all this,

thankfully i can get virtually any game i want anyway

so was just sharing thoughts!

Edited by sermajic

so just because you can`t read spanish that makes the link useless?

even though i speak 4 languages i still can use google translator to read sites from china!

and

yes, if you read previous posts ,

(they are in ENGLISH by the way),

they write me that microsoft only releases demos and that`s why their live service is so successful

and that you can`t play their games if you don`t buy from the store,

just proven them wrong, nothing more.

i don`t have any economic interest at all in all this,

thankfully i can get virtually any game i want anyway

so was just sharing thoughts!

Reread post #65 then move along please.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toiM1B6E2ww

OK sorry, I decided maybe I will stick with this conversation even knowing where it is obviously going.

I can see from this point it is going to get FUN..... :D Gotta love newbs who cannot accept when they

are not getting things their way or gaining support. :P

• Like 1

Reread post #67 then move along please...

I read it! :roll: That is the post where once again you completely failed to get the point and instead are still whining and complaining because your not getting things your way but your pretending it is something else altogether right? :ponder:

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toiM1B6E2ww

OK sorry, I decided maybe I will stick with this conversation even knowing where it is obviously going.

I can see form this point it is going to get FUN..... :D Gotta love newbs who cannot accept when they

are not getting things their way or gaining support. :P

i dont wan't or need any support,

that`s not my purpose at all

just sharing thoughts!!

then i`m a newb just because i post less than you?

or registered not long ago,

how do you know i`m a newbie?

how do you know how long have i been reading these forums?!

Reread post #67 then move along please...

I read it! :roll: That is the post where once again you completely failed to get the point and instead are still whining and complaining because your not getting things your way but your pretending it is something else altogether right? :ponder:

maybe you need to re-read it all to better understand...

try again, slooowly

i was never whining or complaining