IGNORED

SIDE next HDD for Atari 8 bit preorder

zaxon

Well 4.7 is still in beta, that's why I have the menu default on.

Normally the menu should be off and the system can boot either in MyIDE-mode or SDX-mode.

holding SHIFT during powerup or reset+powerup the user gets the menu.

I can compile a version for you to checkout, no problem.

Do you want SDX or MyIDE as default, or shall I compile both versions?

I added fat32-formatting to the new version. So you can init a card with MyIDE, then use FAT32-format

to format the rest of the card for PC-usage. This also allowes you to use APT. This only works with cards

of 256Mb and larger. The card is roughly divided in half.

Later,

Sijmen.

I'm a bit late in replying :)

But, if you can compile those two versions to try, that would be cool :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Jay

Any updated shipping information on orders placed last July? Still very patient, but would like to stay current with status of this project. Has anyone received their SIDE lately?

Thanks,

Mike

Well, the only response was from BillC that he received a partial order on 12/23 of 1 unit. No one else has reported receiving a Side this month. I know on January 11th Zaxon stated that he was back on production, and supplied a picture showing a big stack of unpopulated boards with no cases. Hopefully, my SIDE (ordered/paid July 17th) is in that stack somewhere.

Mike

post-16380-0-25805400-1327799633_thumb.jpg

It's been ages since I ordered mine...

Here's what I have on Google CheckOut (no changes in a long time):

Your order has been sent to zaxon.

zaxon is responsible for charging and shipping your order. Have questions?Contact zaxon.

• Oct 23

You sent zaxon an email with the subject: What is the status of my order?

Message: "Hello, and hope everything's fine on your side. I placed this order on Sept. 4th, and today is Oct. 20th (roughly six weeks). Do you know what's the actual status of my order? Many thanks, in advance."

• Sep 4

zaxon charged your VISA xxx-YYYY for £45.00. "GOOGLE ***" will appear on your billing statement.

• Sep 4

zaxon received your order.

• Sep 4

You placed an order with zaxon on Sep 4. Google Checkout sent a copy of this receipt to (...)

Like Bill, I received 1 of 2, but on Dec 21st, but zaxon may need another 30 extension if he's backed up ;) Jay

I hate to say I don't think he needs another 30 days. I think he needs to deliver what he's promised. There's no justifiable reason to send 1 of 2 ordered to anyone when both were ordered and paid for at the same time. That seems to have been done not once but twice. There's no justifiable reason to open another run when he hasn't completed the first. No one has come forward at this time and reported recieving their order in the whole month of January. The last word from him promised all shipped by mid January and certainly by the last of January. This promise was before reporting that he was unemployed with more time to devote to completing the orders. And this follows previous promises to ship soon. People who ordered in July haven't recieved their orders yet, nor even gotten notice of shipment.

There's no transparency. We have no idea how many were ordered and paid for, much less how many have been shipped so far. That alone would give us an idea of when to expect our orders. No updates unless he's asking for more time and promising shipment soon. Then those promised ship dates pass with no updates. The pic we were given only confirms that sometime in the last six months he had a pile of SIDE boards on his desk.

I hate to be so down on him. You can come up with all the excuses in the book for someone. Some of them might even be true. But in the end the person has to do what he has promised or excuses is all you will ever get from them. I want to take someone at their word. When they say they will do somthing I expect them too. What else should I expect?

If I was Zaxxon, I would put all the whiners' orders last..

The silent ones still don't have their orders either.

Edited by Dropcheck

There's no transparency. We have no idea how many were ordered and paid for, much less how many have been shipped so far. That alone would give us an idea of when to expect our orders.

That's is EXACTLY the source of the problem (and not the items's absence, itself).

We have NO IDEA of what exactly to expect (and why)... even though the cash is out. Quite opposite to my Ultimate1MB experience, though. Furthermore, even if we did not have any idea, trying to contact the manufacturer does not help either (I never got feedback through the formal purchase-channel, Google Checkout).

If Zaxxon is going through a really hard time (economic), or health-wise or emotional, or he had a major problem with the materials or manufacturing, he is welcome to step forward and explain what such problems are.

I am definitely not going to "die" because I have not received this board... but wasting cash "willingly" was never part of my plans, nor I think it should be tolerated (for the sake/health of this small community).

In any case, I do wish the best to Zaxxon, and hope he gets this finished (it is a very nice upgrade).

F.

I Lol'd.

On a serious note, I think 6 months is more than ample time to expect something. This is why i hardly ever buy anything in advanced. My money is exactly what it is, my money. I work hard for it and if I want to spend it, i feel that I should get my return on it rather quickly. I think the only time when i purchased something that wasnt already assembled is when i decided on the XM-301 SIO2SD that Flash built me. But even then, i did my homework and emailed him and recieved emails from him on his progress and when to expect it etc.. In other words, it was all about the communication. IMO he should have made a few at a time in advance and sold them, then use the money for a second run and so on...

I think we're all aware enough here to realize that problems can occur with projects like this, and stuff doesn't always come in on time. Zaxon is FAR from the only person to have kept folks waiting a long time for stuff. I myself have two extremely patient clients suffering at the hands of unexpected problems with third-party equipment. However, I keep them in the loop, and while they may not be especially pleased about the delays, they at least know I haven't fled the country. Yes - all the communication takes time, but I'm afraid it's not really optional. I've spoken to a few people who waited a LONG time to get highly anticipated bespoke stuff delivered from other vendors - some of which cost a lot more than SIDE - and once again it was crappy communication or unrealistic, placatory promises which got their goat.

Another problem besides the lack of communication is the fact that some of us paid for this board in July, and are still waiting, but a few were sold on Ebay months later. When you prepay to help finance a project, it's not an unreasonable expectation that you get the first boards produced.

• Like 1

The Case sucks..

Theres an injection molding error that has caused the screw-hole bosses on the 2 case halfs to be misalligned by about an eighth of an inch.

post-8775-0-42155100-1320778717_thumb.jpg

Zaxon drilled the holes for the button and switch so far "off" that with the case assembled properly, they dont even work..

post-8775-0-22390000-1320778740_thumb.jpg

Oh, and last, theres hot glue inside the case to keep the board from flopping around/rotating.. who knows how long that will last...

Im not too concerned with cosmetics.. but from the standpoint of functionality, Im not impressed with the case at all..

Oh, I see. You are only allowed to whine after you get your SIDE. :D Sorry Ken, I could not restrain myself from taking the shot.

Mike

• Like 1

I ordered my Atari Side on October 22nd 2011, after seeing Mark Vegeers' YouTube Video. I waited a while and then e-mailed Zaxon via Google Checkout on January 3rd 2012 enquiring whether it would be shipped by the end of this month ( January ). So far, no change on the order status or the ace device delivered by the postman.

If we had regular updates, everyone would feel a bit more at ease. But at the moment, I stare at my Atari 800 XL and say - " Your *new* friend will be here soon ... " ;)

Alex. :)

Well 4.7 is still in beta, that's why I have the menu default on.

Normally the menu should be off and the system can boot either in MyIDE-mode or SDX-mode.

holding SHIFT during powerup or reset+powerup the user gets the menu.

I can compile a version for you to checkout, no problem.

Do you want SDX or MyIDE as default, or shall I compile both versions?

I added fat32-formatting to the new version. So you can init a card with MyIDE, then use FAT32-format

to format the rest of the card for PC-usage. This also allowes you to use APT. This only works with cards

of 256Mb and larger. The card is roughly divided in half.

Later,

Sijmen.

I'm a bit late in replying :)

But, if you can compile those two versions to try, that would be cool :thumbsup:

Thanks,

Jay

No problem, I'm late as well ;-)

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1086

SDX is default, hold SHIFT-key at bootup to enter the boot-selection page.

Here you also find the fat32-loader SIDE.

Later,

Sijmen.