IGNORED

SIDE next HDD for Atari 8 bit preorder

zaxon

Which reminds me... did you fix your MyIDE interface at last? The fix with the LS573 works really awesome here. At this moment my MyIDE interfaces are my most used, and most favorite harddisk interfaces. I even prefer them above my blackboxes.

I never touched the MyIDE interface in over a year (largely owing to instability problems, although I suffer these with both my production SIDE carts too), and I'm afraid I'm out of touch with the latest fixes. Naturally if you can point me in the right direction, it will assist me in getting the driver finished. ;)

Which reminds me... did you fix your MyIDE interface at last? The fix with the LS573 works really awesome here. At this moment my MyIDE interfaces are my most used, and most favorite harddisk interfaces. I even prefer them above my blackboxes.

I never touched the MyIDE interface in over a year (largely owing to instability problems, although I suffer these with both my production SIDE carts too), and I'm afraid I'm out of touch with the latest fixes. Naturally if you can point me in the right direction, it will assist me in getting the driver finished. ;)

The final fix is this:

1. Disconnect the following IDE pins from the MyIDE PCB. These are pins 33, 35 and 36; which are IDE A0, A1 and A2.

2. Bend up all pins of a LS573 except pin 10 and 20.

3. Optional: cut all pins from the LS573 except 10, 20, 1, 2, 3, 4, 11, 17, 18 and 19 (pin 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15 and 16 aren't used, so you can cut them of)

4. Piggy back the LS573 on the LS245 so pin 10 and 20 are connected. All other LS573-pins are not connected to the LS245. Ofcourse you can also do another solution... like glueing the LS573 upside down on the pcb... whatever you prefer.

5. Remove the connection from Atari A0, A1 and A2 to the PCB. So cut the connections from cartridge pins 3, 4, and 5 to the PCB. Look at the pictures on AtariMax forum what good places are to cut the traces.

6. Solder a wire from Atari A0 (cartridge pin 5) to LS573 pin 2; a wire from Atari A1 (cartridge pin 4) to LS573 pin 3 and Atari A2 (cartridge pin 3) to LS573 pin 4.

7. Solder a wire from LS573 pin 1 to LS573 pin 10 (GND)

8. Solder a capacitor 220pF*** from LS573 pin 10 to LS573 pin 11

9. Solder a wire from LS573 pin 11 to Atari CCTL (cartridge pin 15)

10. Solder a wire from LS573 pin 19 to IDE A0 (IDE pin 35), a wire from LS573 pin 18 to IDE A1 (IDE pin 33) and a wire from LS573 pin 17 to IDE A2 (IDE pin 36).

*** In my Steven J. Tucker MyIDE cart 220pF was the right value. In my homebrew version with LS32/LS04 220pF was also the right value. But.... in my homebrew version based on 74F32 and 74F04 TTL's, 470pF gave the wanted results.

Important note

You'd investigate your MyIDE PCB very good. There are a lot of nice/handy connection points, so there is no need to connect a wire directly to the cartridge connection pads. Simply cut the traces on the right places. On the AtariMax forum (this thread: http://www.atarimax.....php?f=7&t=1090 ) you can find clear pictures. Unfortunately this thread is full of experimental ideas, so the final fix might be not clear (that is why I typed all this in this answer). The pictures are clear though.

The idea of the fix is simple. A0..A2 are connected to IDE A0..A2 in the original design. In theory this should work great, but there are some minimal (but serious) timing issues, which cause all the serious sh*t in the past with these interfaces. This simple solution is great.

I have been a great fan of MyIDE, but I have to be honest: the stubborn issues from the past drove me crazy... and a few times I did decide to stop using MyIDE. But then... finally... this fabulous fix came over. I did the fix... and.... everything (really EVERYTHING) worked, like it should work. Even on the most instable atari's... even the most incompatible, never working Compact flash cards... suddenly they started working, like it always should have been working.

I heard that Sijmen had still a few CF cards (Kingston) that do give problems, but I can not confirm that. All my CF cards (I have tested more than 40 cards, even a few very problematic ones) do work perfect now.

So I'd say: give it a shot. It is worth a try.

MyIDE is really "el-cheapo" to build... but it works great.

(Btw. this fix is on your own risk haha; I hope I did not make any typo's)

Edited by Marius1976
  • Like 1

Update,SIDE posted to:

Fletch

Sleepy

Faicuai

UKretrogamer

unnek

skosh

mr.Oakley

DyLucke

Venom

TYracking code i send on pw or email.

Indeed. I did receive such code.

To my surprise, in turns out that the status-list has been respected, after all the 2-way bickering and "bitching".

All-in-all, this is a VERY ENCOURAGING sign, I must admit.

Hey Firedawg, I thought your participation on this thread was over (as of a few messages ago), but I don't blame you, the thread became infectous over the last few months, can't live without having a daily dose eh!.... ;)

Well, I am number 5 on that list, and yet mine has not been sent. So I am glad Firedawg keep track of this.

Updated 6/19 by request:

Mike

Hey Firedawg, I thought your participation on this thread was over (as of a few messages ago), but I don't blame you, the thread became infectous over the last few months, can't live without having a daily dose eh!.... ;)

:grin:

Meh. I ordered on July 14, but I haven't heard a thing.

Looks like it paid to be a hater on this thread :(

No, looks like it paid to merely observe, cooperate, communicate, and apply common sense in this thread.

All of your posts seem to ridicule the very existence of "the list" of people who are due SIDEs. You seemed adamant to want to prove some point that you "shouldn't have to be" on the list or that "people shouldn't be penalized" for not being on that list" or similar such gibberish. Meanwhile, it was explained to you (or at least attempted) that there were some difficulties in zaxon accessing the original Google Checkout orders, HENCE THE NECESSITY OF THE LIST.

The list was not some relay in irrelevance. Firedawg pleasantly volunteered to add you to the list, and you indulged yourself in some game that you shouldn't have to, as if you had a point to prove.

Well, point proven. You're not on the list. You should have been. Proving whatever "point" it was you were trying to (please explain again - what exactly are you trying to prove?) may have resulted in your getting passed over. Pure genius! :dunce: :dunce: Not predictable at all, eh? :lolblue: :lol: :lolblue: :lol:

• Like 2

Is the list still being updated for shipment completion purposes?

If so, could someone please update to show my order complete. As Zaxon mentioned in a recent post, mine was posted earlier in the week and arrived yesterday.

Two (separate) SIDE units ordered, two duly received (Only one is listed in FireDawg's chart as I'd already received my first SIDE from a previous run when the chart was first compiled).

As other purchasers have now been given tracking numbers, I think it would be good to have receipt of these units acknowledged on this thread on arrival. This way, everyone can see who has (or hasn't) had their order fulfilled. If the list could continue to be updated on a regular basis, we'll ALL know once this initial shipment is complete.

I'd like to take the opportunity to say "Thank You" to Piotr for delivering on his promises and FireDawg for taking the time to compile and update the list.

• Like 1

(please explain again - what exactly are you trying to prove?)

My first post on this thread came after a suggestion that the list should be used to prioritize orders, and I wanted to point out that not everyone who ordered a SIDE (including me) was on the list. If Zaxon didn't know who had ordered SIDEs, I assume he would have said so on the thread to allow people who weren't on the list to add themselves--but he didn't.

I'm sorry that I made you so upset.

And this is a reason why i post my toys from UK via Royal mail.I post it yesterday and is delivered. 7 Weeks ago i post 2 usatans from France, first to USA second to Spain. Delivery to USA take 2 week's so is ok. To Spain 5 weeks !!!!