IGNORED

"CARTRIDGE STEALER" the origin.........

Ok, back in 1984, a friend of mine and a member of this site were at the ripe age of 12 and 13. we started hanging out at the local mall, as most kids did at the time. we were very into our video games (both arcade and home) but my friend was more into his home pcs. we didnt have enough money for games so we came up with an idea to obtain them....for free. at first, we would take the coleco games out of the boxes and then stick them in cheap atari boxes, pay for them. we did this a few times until we came up with another idea. we would take 3 cartridges out and stick them in WICO joystick boxes, eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2208025176911?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=220802517691&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] while leaving the joystick inside. the joystick cost roughly $15, which was a hell of alot of money back then. we then would go into the mall, take the cartrides out and return the joystick, getting our money back.

meanwhile, back at school, we talked to each other about our adventures. we soon came up with a concept: put it into comics!!! we soon came up with a comic called "the adventures of the cartridge stealers". the comic had us going to the mall, and...stealing cartridges! each comic was full of action and new characters were added and as we got deeper into the comics, so did the storylines. the comics ran from 1984 to 1989. we incorperated everything into our comics, much like family guy. we had gi joe, transformers, the a-team, you name it....we had it.

oh, cartridges werent the only thing we stole!

Ok, back in 1984, a friend of mine and a member of this site were at the ripe age of 12 and 13. we started hanging out at the local mall, as most kids did at the time. we were very into our video games (both arcade and home) but my friend was more into his home pcs. we didnt have enough money for games so we came up with an idea to obtain them....for free. at first, we would take the coleco games out of the boxes and then stick them in cheap atari boxes, pay for them. we did this a few times until we came up with another idea. we would take 3 cartridges out and stick them in WICO joystick boxes, eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2208025176911?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=220802517691&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER] while leaving the joystick inside. the joystick cost roughly $15, which was a hell of alot of money back then. we then would go into the mall, take the cartrides out and return the joystick, getting our money back.

meanwhile, back at school, we talked to each other about our adventures. we soon came up with a concept: put it into comics!!! we soon came up with a comic called "the adventures of the cartridge stealers". the comic had us going to the mall, and...stealing cartridges! each comic was full of action and new characters were added and as we got deeper into the comics, so did the storylines. the comics ran from 1984 to 1989. we incorperated everything into our comics, much like family guy. we had gi joe, transformers, the a-team, you name it....we had it.

oh, cartridges werent the only thing we stole!

While creative, I sure wouldn't be bragging about being a thief! You might want to delete your post.

• Like 4

Heh well I myself wont judge the activities of anyone at the ages of 12 / 13 but yeah probably better in an off topic post. I certainly have not been an angel my whole life but such stories may also taint the view against you form other members which you might not care about but if you may be considering building a buying / selling / trading rep here (do you have a rep for that already?) at some point such tales might come back to bite you on the ass. Again, no biggy to me and not trying to come down on you but I can tell you some people are very closed minded and believe once a thief etc......

• Like 1

I believe it's 3 years for larceny, though it can very by state. If you left the state the statue of limitation stops until you return. Also, someone would have to press charges, and prove there was a crime.

Is there a statute of limitations on such things? I would be careful bringing such things to the forefront.

Geez, I'd hope so.

I knew people who would pull this kind of crap when I was a teenager. Teens seem to think this kind of thing is amusing, but let's face it, teens don't spend much time thinking at all.

Not pointing any fingers at people on here, lord knows I'm no angel, but a lot of adults have that same problem! :roll:

By mentioning it....you seem to be proud of it...yeah, you were young...but it's nothing to be proud of...

The comic part is a clever idea...but not the stealing part...

wow, i would have thought people would have been more excited about the comic part rather than the stealing part!

it was almost 30 years ago, i grew up since then!

• Like 1

By mentioning it....you seem to be proud of it...yeah, you were young...but it's nothing to be proud of...

The comic part is a clever idea...but not the stealing part...

wow, i would have thought people would have been more excited about the comic part rather than the stealing part!

yes, it was wrong but to crucify me by saying i shouldnt have posted it is a bit harsh. i mean afterall, millions of people boast about thier illegal past and present and actually make money boasting of it.

Don't worry I won't judge you. lol

Matter of fact, I think everyone has some type of skeletons in their closet-- you just didn't have a problem opening the closet door and turning the light on. :)

lmao!! believe it or not, I had a chance to get a job at dc comics. my father has some friends there and they wanted to get me a job but I had to work my way up, meaning i would literally have to be more or less, a "trash guy". I didnt want to start like that so I declined the offer. would have been nice!!

my father used to work for dc in the 60s and he used to bring my bro back comics all the time, including the templates. but my father always got mad and broke everything. :(

Now, that's cool stuff there! Reminds me of my stepdad. He worked at Reynolds Metals here in St. Louis, and they did a bunch of the printing for Anheuser Busch. I remember taking in stacks of unused beer bottle labels for show n tell in grade school. :)

• Like 1

Now, that's cool stuff there! Reminds me of my stepdad. He worked at Reynolds Metals here in St. Louis, and they did a bunch of the printing for Anheuser Busch. I remember taking in stacks of unused beer bottle labels for show n tell in grade school. :)

lmao!! i wonder if a kid did the same thing today and get away with it without being suspended? schools are so uptight now!

Didn't you know? Here on AtariAge, there's no statute of limitations on the theft of video games. :P

@The OP............

See? This is what I was talking about! There are those here on a moral high-horse who apparently did nothing wrong in their past. :roll: I'll even go as far as to say some who you would think would be all about forgiveness yet have obviously judged you for relating something you did as a kid, some wonderful people here huh? It does not matter what your point was or that you have explained your focus, they do not care as they've already judged and classified you on one post. Oh now I am sure they will follow with all sorts of excuses, explanations, clarifications etc, whatever. I just new it was a bad idea.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

god forbid you had a childhood and did some stupid stuff!!!!

sheeesh there are some uptight NERDS here!!!

Graffiti, break and enter (without theft), drugs, general nuisance, fraud, - judge me if you want - but damn it was fun, I got caught for some of it, and I don't regret a thing. Got it out of my system young and moved on. Now it's only ebay that I defraud! ;)

Edited by nofrills100
  • Like 1