IGNORED

Reactor is more fun than the original arcade version

lucifershalo

Playing the arcade version on mame with a trackball

I dont feel the "kick" that I have with the 2600 version

of course the graphics are cruder

but the "resistance/chewiness" of movements with the joystick are more fun than the original arcade

now, if someone could add some stuff by hacking it

like identifying clearly

the different numbers (score, number of enemies left, number of decoy left,...)

and maybe improve a bit the graphics

that would be even better :cool:

Playing the arcade version on mame with a trackball

I dont feel the "kick" that I have with the 2600 version

of course the graphics are cruder

but the "resistance/chewiness" of movements with the joystick are more fun than the original arcade

now, if someone could add some stuff by hacking it

like identifying clearly

the different numbers (score, number of enemies left, number of decoy left,...)

and maybe improve a bit the graphics

that would be even better :cool:

The 2600 version is good except you lose the second button to force the bad guys into the walls.

I play the 2600 version with the trackball and it plays a lot nicer.

Hmm, I may have to try out the 2600 version, figured it wouldn't be good w/out the trackball. In my MAME cabinet, Reactor is one of my favorite games to play. I just can't get past the vortex levels. :P

~telengard

What I do is try to earn and save my decoys for the vortex levels. When the stage starts, I'll place a decoy close to a wall to kill off the bad guys.

From there, the only thing I have been able to do to avoid getting "sucked in" is to keep rotating outside the vortex without hitting the walls. I'm still working on that.

The 2600 version is easy in comparison once you hit the vortex levels.

I've played a lot of the Parker Bros. titles, but never played Reactor. I'm sure I could research it online, but since anyone reading this thread is likely a fan, what's the gameplay like? Is there anything comparable on the 2600 you'd compare it to?

It's one of a kind. I would advise looking for a game play video on YouTube of the arcade game.

So, I watched about ten minutes of the arcade being played and then for a bit more perspective, I watched a review of the VCS version on YouTube. As far as first impressions go, it looks like a lot of fun... one of those games where your hand has to be able to move the joystick even before your brain has fully interpreted what's going on- at least in the higher levels. I also was really impressed how the sounds and voice were implemented in the arcade version and was equally impressed that the game was pulled off so well for home play (the way the 2600 displays the reactor core is downright freaky- I couldn't stop staring into it!). I'm definately going to have to pick up a copy. The funny thing is I really don't recall this one being on the shelves when I was a kid. Did it come along later in the lifspan of the 2600?

A final note... It's funny how our parents were so concerned with trying to protect us from Bugs Bunny slipping a stick of TNT to the Tazmanian Devil on Saturday Morning TV, but we had unquestioned access to games like this and Missile Command. :)

Reactor in the arcade was always pretty special to me as a kid. The cabinet was beautiful and the audio was fantastic. So for me the arcade version will always get me more pumped to play. However I still love the port and played it for more hours than I could count (mostly as a kid). Never tried the 2600 version with a trackball though, gonna have to give that a shot.

I feel the 2600 version is very lacking compared to the arcade, both from missing decoys to the music.

The 2600 has both...the music definitely doesn't compare

Hmm, must have been something else other than the decoys. I remember being dissappointed compared to the arcade one. Basically, need a nice subwoofer for the audio, and maybe it will help.

I feel the 2600 version is very lacking compared to the arcade, both from missing decoys to the music.

The 2600 has both...the music definitely doesn't compare

Hmm, must have been something else other than the decoys. I remember being dissappointed compared to the arcade one. Basically, need a nice subwoofer for the audio, and maybe it will help.

In the arcade game, you have an energy button which is missing from the 2600 version.