IGNORED

Basic Programming cart ... anyone use it?

SlowCoder

Not sure if it was better to put this here, as it doesn't pertain to creating new games, really. But I was wondering if anyone actually uses the "Basic Programming" cart? Looking at the screenshots ... holy cow is that hideous! Does this cart have any actual functionality? You can't save anything, right?

Not sure if it was better to put this here, as it doesn't pertain to creating new games, really. But I was wondering if anyone actually uses the "Basic Programming" cart? Looking at the screenshots ... holy cow is that hideous! Does this cart have any actual functionality? You can't save anything, right?

BASIC programing would of actualy been an ok program despite its not "real" BASIC... but it only has enough RAM for about 10 lines of code... which makes it next to useless... no,I take that back, with the lack of being able to save its COMPLETELY useless. Im actualy quite surprised no one has ever tried to make a hack that expands its memory functions or output to a shoebox recorder with a cable simular to the one the Texas Instrament had... I do beleve there was a company that made a rom ripper for the atari that outputted to such a cable.

Anyone coders out there willing to step up to the call and make BASIC programing 2.0?

I have two CIB copies myself, one NTCS one PAL (I gought the PAL for the overlays as the NTCS didn't have them or the manual...and the PAL copy ended up having a 2nd pair and the manual (which differs in no way form the NTCS version)

Edited by Syntaxerror999

I've never tried the Basic Programming cart myself but I have used the Basic programming on the CompuMate.

It's limited compared to Basic on home computers, the maximum program size is 2kb. However it does let you save to a cassette, or I connect it to the sound card on PC and save and load MP3 files.

I do want to get the Basic Programming cart and controllers if I ever see it cheap.

• 1 month later...

i got the basic cart cheap. didnt know the single large keypad wouldnt cut it. just ebayed 2 controllers and "hunt and score" so far its the only non-game cart ive heard of. can anyone think of any more. why?

I used to do something useful with it, I forget what because I was still a baby. But I recall making sure I had this up and running a lot.

Edited by Keatah

• 2 weeks later...

All I can remember is mom and dad calling over the neighbors to show them what little junior was doing! Whatever it was it was sure impressive because they got on the horn and called over their friends too.

I have pictures of the evening but I don't know if I can make out the onscreen text or anything.

• 4 weeks later...

I picked up the cart a few weeks ago just because I didn't have it and I had wanted it as a kid. Unfortunately, it came without the keyboard controllers or overlays, so I'm still on the lookout for those as well. I do however have the controllers that came with Star Raiders around. So I might be able to give this cart a try out anyway.

Does anyone know what a fair price for a complete Basic Programming cart with controllers and overlays goes for these days?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what a fair price for a complete Basic Programming cart with controllers and overlays goes for these days?

I pad $25 shipped for a complete Cart, Instructions, Box, Overlays. I really wanted one complete, and thought that was fair.

Edited by Pioneer4x4

Well, like I say, I recall doing things that impressed the neighbors and mom's and dad's friends. I forget what exactly it was. That was 35 years ago.

My favorite one I do remember was -

10 A=A+1

20 Print A

30 Goto 10

It's a bonafide real program that does something! Slick, eh?

Edited by Keatah

ahh common. yes, the basic programming cart is VERY limited. we've got to be able to do just a bit more than that.

ive seen like 4 "programs" written for the basic cart. only about 4 written for the compumate as well. kinda suprising. at least the basic cart has a graphics screen. the compumate does not have any commands for affecting any sort of graphics in basic.

it would be cool to write something simple that displays someones name or business name for an atari display. something better than just printing the name over and over again with no change. like the name being printed more twards the left/right everytime. or alternate "atari 2600" and randomly interject "-=00000=-" "player0ne" "-=00000=-

it may be beyond the scope of some people to fully master any programming, certainly myself. With some small effort it should be possible to understand the full range of something soo very limited. right?

would there be any "easter egg" or hidden thing in the basic cart? why not? being that is not a game cart, would studying the bin or decoded file be much different than most atari2600 games? since games are apparently "hacked" is it possible to modify the 'basic programming' cart?

does anyone know what version of basic would be the simplest. perhaps the closest to either of the 2600 basic languages? looking over the book "basic computer games" ive not seen any simple enough. 'russian roulete' MAY convert to compumate basic. oops wrong thread.

someday you'll see an atari in the background of some retro-scifi movie with a basic cart doing something cool looking, oohh.. theres a retro-scifi movie plot brewing..

doesnt 'basic programming' deserve as much attention as any other atari 2600 game? can anyone think of any other non-game cart?

???

Any other non-game cart? Sure, there was the much more powerful MagiCard and I guess you could say Video Life wasn't a game. Birthday Mania, Color Bar Generator... there's probably a couple more I'm not thinking of. You could make the argument that SwordQuest:Fireworld wan't much of a game ;)

There's been threads in the past about this, along with Basic Programming examples and all... I'm betting the search function could turn up those threads.

Edited by Mirage

I'll say one thing for Basic Programming, for a R3, it's pretty hard to find! I've been collecting 2600 games for over 4 years pretty steady (up to over 300 titles this month) and I JUST found my first copy last week. I've even got three sets of keyboard controllers but this is my first copy of BP!