IGNORED

Possible new game coming...

PacManPlus

I have just been given permission to make 'Pel Plus' for the 7800. I want to figure out the logistics before I start: http://www.kongregat...tedfun/pel-plus

It looks like it can be fun. I plan on doing Paddle controls, as well as the classic controls the game uses now. I can probably do this with stock hardware as it doesn't require extra memory nor has a complicated soundtrack to go with it.

I saw it on the monitor while in GameStop one day, and I immediately thought it would make a good port to the 7800... It seems pretty addicting...

Bob

• Like 1

I just get a red X. :-(

What kind of game is it?

Thanks guys!

It's this, except that the Pels can originate from either side of the screen (not just the left):

Bob

Ah ok, thanks! I'm on another computer now, and I can play it from the link in your first post. Great game! I can totally see myself playing a lot of it. So of course I'd be down for a cart as well! :D

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I'm working on a few projects. I had too much of an issue with collision detection for Frenzy, so I put it back down for now. With Battlezone, I need to re-visit the line drawing routine to somehow make it faster. (My blog has the list of games I've started).

Bob

Hi Bob,

I'd suggest you go to atarimania.com and look up Trial by Fire! for the Atari 8-bits. It is the same game concept but with graphics to draw you into the game. If you are planning to use paddles then it would be nice to use more than three horizontal positions and have the objects bounce based on the position of the "paddle".

I look forward to seeing this completed.

This looks a lot like that classic DOS game "Bouncing Babies" only 2-directional!

That game used to make me want to punch the monitor it was so hard! :) Look forward to this one as well!

That game was also a clone of Nintendo's Fire LCD handheld (which has very similar gameplay). I have a keychain version and the versions in Game nd Watch Gallery 1 and 4. Good stuff!

Is there going to be a mode in this game with a single pel where you try to get the pel in the three baskets near the top left or top right of the screen?

This looks a lot like that classic DOS game "Bouncing Babies" only 2-directional!

That game was also a clone of Nintendo's Fire LCD handheld (which has very similar gameplay). I have a keychain version and the versions in Game and Watch Gallery 1 and 4. Good stuff!

Oh, there were dozens and dozens of games in this same "Catch/Dodge the Falling Object" genre then. Interesting to see a new entry, to say the least.

Edited by Rex Dart

That game was also a clone of Nintendo's Fire LCD handheld (which has very similar gameplay). I have a keychain version and the versions in Game and Watch Gallery 1 and 4. Good stuff!

Oh, there were dozens and dozens of games in this same "Catch/Dodge the Falling Object" genre then. Interesting to see a new entry, to say the least.

That may be so, but there is no doubt Fire is the game Bouncing Babies is based on, right down to the flaming buliding on the left and the ambulance on the right. It hard to tell which came first, but Fire was 1980 and many of the similar ones came after.

• 8 years later...
On 6/28/2011 at 12:40 AM, PacManPlus said:

I have just been given permission to make 'Pel Plus' for the 7800. I want to figure out the logistics before I start: http://www.kongregat...tedfun/pel-plus

It looks like it can be fun. I plan on doing Paddle controls, as well as the classic controls the game uses now. I can probably do this with stock hardware as it doesn't require extra memory nor has a complicated soundtrack to go with it.

I saw it on the monitor while in GameStop one day, and I immediately thought it would make a good port to the 7800... It seems pretty addicting...

Bob

Thanks for awesome additions to the steadily growing 7800 library (the 7800 must be by now the longest running home-video-console ever to have a stready output of new game releases).

I started a thread about converting Pac Land (1984 arcade), to the 7800.

Interested in contributing, much or little?

Edited by Giles N