IGNORED

Best TV's for classic consoles.

Really? I'd love to see a photo of it in use... I've seen those 13"ers on eBay & was curious if they'd be worth the space they occupy or not.

Here's a pic of one (not mine).

42864-01.jpg

I'd show a pic of it in action, but I have someone staying in my room so I can't get to it at the moment.

Edited by ApolloBoy

Here's a pic of one (not mine).

I just love the shape of the classic Trinitron CRT screen. I think I remember the advertising calling it "vertically flat." So it's not a flatscreen, but it's pretty far from a "fishbowl" like some of the others. It's like a wedge out of a large cylinder - very unique, instantly-recognizable, and always accompanied by a phenomenal picture.

My mom used to have a Macintosh Color Classic, and the first time I saw it, I knew what kind of built-in monitor it had.

ClassicColor.JPG

I think I prefer the older vertically-flat to the actual full-on flatscreens, because of uniqueness. Of course, I'll take a flatscreen Trinitron any day of the week, too.

Not to pile on, but this idea that "it ain't authentic if it ain't RF" has come up several times, and in my opinion it doesn't make much sense. I addressed it in another thread recently:

All an A/V upgrade does is take the original signals from the console and amplify or reshape them into a purer form, which can be used directly by modern televisions and monitors. The RF modulator might have been a necessary intermediary in the 70s and 80s, when all we had were televisions with antenna inputs, but it isn't any longer. By installing an A/V upgrade, you're really removing a restriction to seeing and hearing the console in its best possible state, not adding something that the console didn't originally have.

However, if your console works fine through RF and you're happy using it that way, that's your choice. In some cases (like the Intellivision), I've found that the available A/V upgrades don't give you enough of an improvement to justify the trouble and expense.

Quite. I bought one of the last of the Sony Trinitrons before they all disappeared. Fantastic, it's my main and only TV. I cannot stand seeing the noise in LCD and plasma displays, improved as they have become. And I, too, have heard people complain about the massive weight (close to 300lbs) of that set. So what? Am I carrying it anywhere? No. That Sony is HD and has multiple inputs including HDMI. I wish SED had been pursued, I don't know what I'm going to do when this CRT kicks off.

As for the "it ain't authentic if it ain't RF" discussion, I agree that it doesn't make sense. Furthermore, I lived through that era. You know what else you need for a truly "authentic" experience? For all video games to be 8-bit and for arcades with classic games to be widely accessible. Because back then we didn't know that there would be 16-bit and 32-bit and 64-bit consoles and online gaming. Part of the "authentic" experience was the assumption that we were playing the "best" consoles available. And back then it was sort of true when there was nothing but Atari 2600s, then Atari 5200s and Colecovisions and Intellivisions. But now they are grossly underpowered, slow, and the games are blocky-looking compared to Playstations and Xboxes. And there aren't loads of twitch arcade games that people are expecting to be converted to home consoles. And no vector games! Crap!!

I have a modded Atari 5200 for two reasons. First, I don't care to have that goofy power block/switchbox permanently hooked to my setup. Second, it's very easy for me to take that 5200 to someone else's house and simply hook it up to his flatscreen TV with the RCA jacks. I plan to mod my Sears Telegames Video Arcade (Atari 2600) for the same reasons. And to avoid excessive color bleed.

You can't beat CRTs for the classic console gaming experience. But you won't get half of the potential out of that CRT if you feed the console through an RF switchbox hanging off the back of it, either.

• Like 2

I use a 13" Symphonic CRT. I got it at a yard sale for $5, and I love it. The only problem is, with NES games, it cuts off a bit from the top. So Let's say in Super Mario Bros., the MARIO and the other text on the top are only half showing. It's perfect for my Atari, but I needed to get an adapter to use my SNES Jr. (it only has AV out, and the Symphonic only has Coax in). The picture is really clear and the sound is and really sharp.

I recently picked up a 20" sony wega CRT at Goodwill. Came to $12 after the 50% discount thing they do from time to time. Great little TV, though it does seem to have a fair amount of geometry issues....still, classic systems look better on my new $12 TV over any of the newer equipment I have by long shot. (not to mention no input lag)

I have two of these Samsung GX Gaming Televisions and they work/sound EXCELLENT. I have my retro systems hooked up to them and also use them for PSX and Gamecube.

Mendon

I always wanted to pick one of these up. I remember they were on display at every gaming store at some point and looked fantastic.

I have two of these Samsung GX Gaming Televisions and they work/sound EXCELLENT. I have my retro systems hooked up to them and also use them for PSX and Gamecube.

Oh my gosh, I have one of these too, and I forgot about it completely, as I put it back in the box and forgot about it few years, now.

Yes, they rock! I was sorry they didn't catch on more, and I was hoping they'd release a 20" version.

Only minor complaint is that there's no S-video, but I declare the composite input is super sharp, sharper than some of the other small CRTs I've used.

Hah! I'd totally forgotten about those, 100% wiped from my memory. Now I remember that the then-local Gamestop had one they'd use to test systems & games with. Only place I'd ever seen one. I might have to hunt one down now, after hearing that they're decent. I do like the big fold-out speakers, at least that'd free up a power outlet.

Mendon

I saw one of those at a Goodwill last summer but passed on it. Looks like a cool idea, I just couldn't think of any reason I'd need it. Plus, they wanted like $30 for it.

Thanks to this thread I was eying pawn shops and craigslist for 32" CRTs. I found a Trinitron KV-32XBR400 for $80 and snagged it today. Now I get to work on how I am going to make a cabinet out of pine board that will enclose 15 game consoles, a 40" widescreen LCD and this new 36"W26"H CRT. Whoo hoo!

Unfortunately, it appears as though my complete Lethal Enforcers for Genesis has a dead light gun, I'll have to test my other systems to be sure though. These things do still work with Light Guns over Composite right?

Edited by sheath

Not to pile on, but this idea that "it ain't authentic if it ain't RF" has come up several times, and in my opinion it doesn't make much sense. I addressed it in another thread recently:

All an A/V upgrade does is take the original signals from the console and amplify or reshape them into a purer form, which can be used directly by modern televisions and monitors. The RF modulator might have been a necessary intermediary in the 70s and 80s, when all we had were televisions with antenna inputs, but it isn't any longer. By installing an A/V upgrade, you're really removing a restriction to seeing and hearing the console in its best possible state, not adding something that the console didn't originally have.

However, if your console works fine through RF and you're happy using it that way, that's your choice. In some cases (like the Intellivision), I've found that the available A/V upgrades don't give you enough of an improvement to justify the trouble and expense.

Yeah, I have my 2600 running with composite because it's a lot clearer, but my 4-port 5200 looks awesome on RF! Which is a good thing, since I'd have to mod the console quite a bit to get composite out and to be able to connect the power adapter without the switch box.

730wgz.jpg

Sony WEGA KV32FS120. It's one of the most recent 480i sets they made. It's from 2005. I actually have two of them. I picked up an extra in case something happens to one. These things aren't going to be easy to get in 10 years.

The 36" would have been ideal, but those weigh 225 pounds and need four people to move. It was hard enough to move two of these 32" at 160 pounds each with two and a half people. And that was going downstairs only. I will be hiring movers when I move for sure.

These sets are almost perfect. I wish they had two component inputs, but one is serviceable. They have the digital 3d comb filter for the best composite image and the service menu allows me to fix every geometry problem except convergence.

Sony WEGA KV32FS120. It's one of the most recent 480i sets they made. It's from 2005. I actually have two of them. I picked up an extra in case something happens to one. These things aren't going to be easy to get in 10 years.

The 36" would have been ideal, but those weigh 225 pounds and need four people to move. It was hard enough to move two of these 32" at 160 pounds each with two and a half people. And that was going downstairs only. I will be hiring movers when I move for sure.

These sets are almost perfect. I wish they had two component inputs, but one is serviceable. They have the digital 3d comb filter for the best composite image and the service menu allows me to fix every geometry problem except convergence.

These are the best TV's for classic gaming in my opinion. Everything I have that I hooked up to it looks amazing. I'm debating if I should get another. They are extremely heavy. Having the base on the bottom is great too.

Sony WEGA KV32FS120. It's one of the most recent 480i sets they made.

These are the best TV's for classic gaming in my opinion. Everything I have that I hooked up to it looks amazing. I'm debating if I should get another. They are extremely heavy. Having the base on the bottom is great too.

Base on the bottom? That thing's attached?

The Sony 40" XBR Trinitron is the ULTIMATE classic gaming TV.

http://www.amazon.com/SONY-KV-40XBR800-Trinitron-Wega-Color/dp/B0000789GB

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8L5hbUnrNjX/p_15840XB800/Sony-KV-40XBR800.html

I used to know some people with it, and several years ago, it was the first TV I played in HD - (Gran Turismo 4 in 1080i on that one track that will do it).

The only problem is it's rare, and it weighs 300 pounds.

It also has INCREDIBLE sound with a subwoofer built-in. (contributing to that weight, no doubt)

The Sony 40" XBR Trinitron is the ULTIMATE classic gaming TV.

http://www.amazon.com/SONY-KV-40XBR800-Trinitron-Wega-Color/dp/B0000789GB

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-8L5hbUnrNjX/p_15840XB800/Sony-KV-40XBR800.html

I used to know some people with it, and several years ago, it was the first TV I played in HD - (Gran Turismo 4 in 1080i on that one track that will do it).

The only problem is it's rare, and it weighs 300 pounds.

It also has INCREDIBLE sound with a subwoofer built-in. (contributing to that weight, no doubt)

300 lbs. is ridiculous. You'd need at least 6 people to move that!

No wonder everyone switched to flat screens.