IGNORED

Really ugly use of Atari stuff..

yuppicide

Miss Atari, then maybe this is a discussion that you and I oughta have in private amongst ourselves because to have it here in the open forum we'd both have to go up into the attic of our respective houses and drag the cross out of it and then nail ourselves to it for our beliefs...

Don't even try it, you'll never get the last nail in.

• Like 1

Miss Atari, then maybe this is a discussion that you and I oughta have in private amongst ourselves because to have it here in the open forum we'd both have to go up into the attic of our respective houses and drag the cross out of it and then nail ourselves to it for our beliefs...

Don't even try it, you'll never get the last nail in.

I heard that joke on The Young Ones :rolling:

• Like 1

Do you cut and paste this stuff from some manifesto you have been writing for the last 30 years?

I couldn't care less for mods, but having to constantly see your spam all over this forum is making me want to go and mod the shit out of my system!

Unfortunately RichG1972 wont stop his long winded ranting posts until everyone thinks exactly the same way as him.

It is a shame because he seems to know a lot about restoring consoles to their original condition. He just cant accept the fact that people can do what they want with their own consoles.

Yeah well I just solved the problem for everybody, I PMed Albert and told him that I want any and all images I posted here sent back to my email account because I do not have them on this computer anymore, and secondly told him to delete all my postings and erase my account I have better things to than get caught up in DRAMA, I had dram in Chambersburg Pennsylvania so I left, and there is drama HERE so that is why I decided to have Albert delete my account on here for good, so you see I CAN accomodate all of you in one fell swoop and give you what you want so keep the pedal to the metal and your gown down that's a big 10-4 and I'm gone!

Oh and one further thing I CAN accept that people will do what they want to do with their own consoles I just specifically request that if it is one I have restored to mint condition which in turn makes it more VALUABLE than a modified one that has modern day technology in it, if it is one I restored to mint condition, don't come to me to fix it if something goes wrong with it that you can't fix yourself because I refuse to bail someone out of a problem that THEY created by a display of their own ineptitude!

You can add the video to your post too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-l5FyA3pgo

or better yet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksSPZTZES0

Do you cut and paste this stuff from some manifesto you have been writing for the last 30 years?

I couldn't care less for mods, but having to constantly see your spam all over this forum is making me want to go and mod the shit out of my system!

Unfortunately RichG1972 wont stop his long winded ranting posts until everyone thinks exactly the same way as him.

It is a shame because he seems to know a lot about restoring consoles to their original condition. He just cant accept the fact that people can do what they want with their own consoles.

Yeah well I just solved the problem for everybody, I PMed Albert and told him that I want any and all images I posted here sent back to my email account because I do not have them on this computer anymore, and secondly told him to delete all my postings and erase my account I have better things to than get caught up in DRAMA, I had dram in Chambersburg Pennsylvania so I left, and there is drama HERE so that is why I decided to have Albert delete my account on here for good, so you see I CAN accomodate all of you in one fell swoop and give you what you want so keep the pedal to the metal and your gown down that's a big 10-4 and I'm gone!

Oh and one further thing I CAN accept that people will do what they want to do with their own consoles I just specifically request that if it is one I have restored to mint condition which in turn makes it more VALUABLE than a modified one that has modern day technology in it, if it is one I restored to mint condition, don't come to me to fix it if something goes wrong with it that you can't fix yourself because I refuse to bail someone out of a problem that THEY created by a display of their own ineptitude!

What a drama queen... :roll:

And a close analysis of your cranium will reveal sawdust, setting aside the fact that you are inept, insufficient, inexcusable, pompous, pusillanimous and pathetic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWHfFdmisoo

Edited by Osbo

I'll only stay if people don't crucify me for being an Atari purist, while yes the number of people who endorse the modifications may outnumber the number of us purists, the ones who prefer to keep a system original I guess I can see their point that one of us is no more right than the other but I wasn't saying don't mod systems period, instead I challenged the modders, like lets use this as an example suppose just SUPPOSE, one of us got a system where a section of the mainboard was missing, a modder might take that as a means of having to build a modification to save the system.

Ok that's one way to supposedly save it, but here is where the real challenge lays....find an image of a board that isn't broken, and DUPLICATE that board component for component, trace for trace, make a NEW board to the specs of the old board using today's equipment.

I noticed something about the original components on some of the boards that were used back in the day, the tips prior to flowing the solder over the resistors and capacitors and potentiometers....they were not even TINNED prior to insertion into the mainboard. THAT frigging IRKED me so what did I do to mine after I rescued it from the Never Grow Up shop? One by one I de-soldered each component of the mainboard, tinned the tips of them with an infusion of fresh solder, then inserted them back into the board, soldered them into place and VOILA the signal output was increased as was signal strength and solder integrity and strength in each joint and the system is perfection now.

Now a lot of you might consider what I did to be a waste of time, and maybe it was but at least this might have fixed any unseen hairline crack in the solder that later on could have become problematic, and for someone like me who took someting that was once a hobby and turned it into something both profitable and FUN, I found it remarkably satisfying, the only thing worse than re-soldering an old Atari 4 switch woody's mainboard to me is re-wiring an entire 70's era 8-track tape player.

I noticed something about the original components on some of the boards that were used back in the day, the tips prior to flowing the solder over the resistors and capacitors and potentiometers....they were not even TINNED prior to insertion into the mainboard. THAT frigging IRKED me so what did I do to mine after I rescued it from the Never Grow Up shop? One by one I de-soldered each component of the mainboard, tinned the tips of them with an infusion of fresh solder, then inserted them back into the board, soldered them into place and VOILA the signal output was increased as was signal strength and solder integrity and strength in each joint and the system is perfection now.

Uhh, okay. And I'll bet you immediately went online and hammered out a hundred-page Unabomber Manifesto somewhere about "perfecting the system" and the "evil!" of inept soldering.

• Like 2

I don't think this is anything for someone to really fall out about.

If modding was restricted by law to Atari 2600 Jrs then there certainly wouldn't be anything to fall out about. :D

At the end of the day I admire people who take care and effort to restore and keep Atari stuff in original ex-factory condition but I don't have a right to tell someone else what to do with their own Atari gear.

Uhh, okay. And I'll bet you immediately went online and hammered out a hundred-page Unabomber Manifesto somewhere about "perfecting the system" and the "evil!" of inept soldering.

I am not going to reply to this thread any further until all the paper assholes posting to it can STOP picking apart and shooting down everything I fucking say instead of seeing the logic in it, I mean it IS there its just a matter of the fucking pinheads seeing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not going to reply to this thread any further until all the paper assholes posting to it can STOP picking apart and shooting down everything I fucking say instead of seeing the logic in it, I mean it IS there its just a matter of the fucking pinheads seeing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a logical point to make, then make it without being so dramatic. We're talking about old video game consoles, after all. No need to turn the temperature and the volume all the way up when talking about them.

• Like 5

I'll only stay if people don't crucify me for being an Atari purist . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B65mtE2TN1w&rel=0&fmt=35&showinfo=0

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZk_HnE-cdU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZk_HnE-cdU&rel=0&fmt=35

A lot of us have our little drama queen moments and disagreements and arguments, but we'll either agree to disagree and drop it for the most part or we'll keep poking each other with sticks once in a while. Rarely does anyone get 'crucified' unless they have a chronic victim mentality and won't drop the act, so they end up going out in a blaze of thread-closing glory.

If you have a logical point to make, then make it without being so dramatic. We're talking about old video game consoles, after all. No need to turn the temperature and the volume all the way up when talking about them.

Yeah well I am supposed to keep an open mind about unnecessary modifications to a system that was designed a certain way for a reason, while there are those of you who would close YOUR minds to the way I see things, one hand washes the other right? I swear if someone saw me taking the time to restore my father's Atari 2600 system which has been stored for the past 20 years not being used, and came at me with "wouldn't it be easier just to mod it?" I swear I'd whack them square in the head with my ratchet handle, because my father's Atari system didn't have the modifications when he initially bought it for us in 1981 and it never will when I get it from him after he is long dead and gone, which I have sadly learned will be in about another 2 weeks due to the rapid spread of the cancer ravaging his body and UNLIKE the 2600 game Fantastic Voyage there is no way to save him or "combat" the cancer.

I'll only stay if people don't crucify me for being an Atari purist, while yes the number of people who endorse the modifications may outnumber the number of us purists, the ones who prefer to keep a system original I guess I can see their point that one of us is no more right than the other but I wasn't saying don't mod systems period, instead I challenged the modders, like lets use this as an example suppose just SUPPOSE, one of us got a system where a section of the mainboard was missing, a modder might take that as a means of having to build a modification to save the system.

Ok that's one way to supposedly save it, but here is where the real challenge lays....find an image of a board that isn't broken, and DUPLICATE that board component for component, trace for trace, make a NEW board to the specs of the old board using today's equipment.

Now a lot of you might consider what I did to be a waste of time, and maybe it was but at least this might have fixed any unseen hairline crack in the solder that later on could have become problematic, and for someone like me who took someting that was once a hobby and turned it into something both profitable and FUN, I found it remarkably satisfying, the only thing worse than re-soldering an old Atari 4 switch woody's mainboard to me is re-wiring an entire 70's era 8-track tape player.

No one will crucify you for it. People may disagree but I doubt anyone would have a problem with you wanting to keep your systems stock and believe that it is wrong for you to take pride in your restorations. AA is a nondenominational Atarian Church. As long as you believe the fundamental truths(with Atari all things are possible and that you should play with others as you would have them play with you) then you are welcome. All other beliefs are open to interpretation.

I swear if someone saw me taking the time to restore my father's Atari 2600 system which has been stored for the past 20 years not being used, and came at me with "wouldn't it be easier just to mod it?" I swear I'd whack them square in the head with my ratchet handle

Okay, I'll give rational discourse an honest try. Let's focus on this statement. What do you mean by the terms "restoration" and "modding"? "Restoration" to me means restoring it to its original condition: replacing defective or worn parts with ones that match the originals, giving the case a good Windex job, maybe doing fine cleaning with a toothbrush if it's especially dirty, and so forth. "Modding" to me means making modifications (hence the name!) in the form of additions to or subtractions from the original design, such as installing updated A/V output jacks or painting it fire engine red or adding decals. By phrasing the question in the form of "why don't you mod it instead of restoring it?", you seem to be lumping the two together. And if you're going to try to tell me that adding harmless little A/V jacks is a form of inappropriate modding, I'd refer you to what I wrote earlier:

All an A/V upgrade does is take the original signals from the console and amplify or reshape them into a purer form, which can be used directly by modern televisions and monitors. The RF modulator might have been a necessary intermediary in the 70s and 80s, when all we had were televisions with antenna inputs, but it isn't any longer. By installing an A/V upgrade, you're really removing a restriction to seeing and hearing the console in its best possible state, not adding something that the console didn't originally have.

If I'm wrong about this, tell me why instead of flying into another sputtering rage.

When do you leave? Or that was all made up too?

Yeah well I am supposed to keep an open mind about unnecessary modifications to a system that was designed a certain way for a reason, while there are those of you who would close YOUR minds to the way I see things, one hand washes the other right? I swear if someone saw me taking the time to restore my father's Atari 2600 system which has been stored for the past 20 years not being used, and came at me with "wouldn't it be easier just to mod it?" I swear I'd whack them square in the head with my ratchet handle, because my father's Atari system didn't have the modifications when he initially bought it for us in 1981 and it never will when I get it from him after he is long dead and gone, which I have sadly learned will be in about another 2 weeks due to the rapid spread of the cancer ravaging his body and UNLIKE the 2600 game Fantastic Voyage there is no way to save him or "combat" the cancer.

I'm so sorry Rich.

RichG1972: I'm sorry to hear about your father too. Obviously Atari is a very personal thing for you and as such you have strong "beliefs".

For most of us Atari is just a fun hobby. We come onto forums to discuss this hobby and most people don't take it as seriously you do. So when you start posting very longs post berating anyone who wants to mod a console you are going to upset people.

I know you have knowledge you can contribute about restoration, so don't leave the forum but please try to ignore posts about modding.

This is going to be my last post about this. All the best RichG1972, I hope you don't leave the forum over this.

• Like 1

And if he didn't have an Atari 2600 and took you to baseball games religiously instead, you'd be all nuts over baseball because of the emotional connection.

It's not your fault. A lot of guys have daddy issues. They grasp tightly to the connection they had with their fathers. It could be Atari, baseball, football, soccer, model car building, toy rockets, guns, fireworks, or whatever. If you could read the mind of every rabid fan of something, you'd probably find that over 80 percent of them are that way because of the emotional connection to their daddy or some other father figure.

The Atari thing is your connection to your father. We get it. You're not crying about some random guy dying of cancer in Africa. The only reason why you care about your dad having cancer is because you know him. If he was a stranger, he wouldn't even be on your radar. So what I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't expect the rest of the world to deeply care about your situation. There are billions of people out there with all kinds of problems. Some have parents who have died or are dying in horrible ways. You're not the only person in the world who has watched or is watching a loved one die of cancer. I'm not saying that your situation doesn't matter and that you should shrug it off and get over it. I'm saying that the rabid, burning Atari connection that you have with your father is your personal 'hang-up,' not ours. We have our own hang-ups.

There's nothing wrong with posting your opinions and getting into little arguments here and there, but if you keep climbing up onto crosses, you'll end up getting banned sooner or later.

• Like 3