IGNORED

Omnitrend's Universe

Kylev

All,

I have been revisiting this game recently, and have really enjoyed the experience. I own a copy of this game (the physical disks and manual are somewhere in Mom and Dad's basement) and have never completed this installment.

The only thing I have come across that troubles me is that, under emulation, I can't find a version of the disk images where the Weapons menu is functional. Everything else about the game seems to be working in both Altirra and A800WIN. I don't get the error sound when trying to access the menu and I have all of the programs for the computer to enable weapons system functions. Every time I select the Weapons menu I hear the accepted beep and the simulator tries to access the disk in drive 2. At this point, the program is hung. It repeatedly tries to access the same sectors on the Flight 2 disk but never brings up the weapons screens.

The weapons functionality was flaky on real hardware (back in the day), but at least you could get to the screens after the menu was selected. Has anyone else been playing this game recently? If so, have you experienced this problem?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Russ

remowilliams,

Thanks for disk images. I will give them a try and let you know how I am faring.

Thanks for the manual. I believe I have previously downloaded this so I will not be using the one you supplied. I really appreciate your making this available, though.

On another note, have you ever imaged the complete product list supplement that used to be available from Omnitrend? I would really like to get my hands on an electronic version. I purchased the supplement back in the '80s, but my copy is stuck in a basement along with the rest of the manual and is quite possibly destroyed by water damage.

Thanks again for your help.

Russ

remowilliams,

You are a life-saver. Those disk images worked like a charm. Now I can fully enjoy completing this game as it was meant to be played. Instead of running from all fights, I can now defend myself.

Thanks, once again, for your timely assistance.

Russ

Well, I checked my A8 Universe box and beyond the disks and manual I found a registration card for the Universe Bulletin Board (an extremely cool idea and perhaps the most exclusive BBS in computing history) but no other supplements. Now I'm curious: was this something you could order? Universe-related or otherwise? I think Universe is possibly the most ambitious (and expensive) adventure game ever conceived for the A8. For the Apple 2, it was definitely Time Zone, but for Atari, yeah, Universe. Just incredible.

The only thing I have come across that troubles me is that, under emulation, I can't find a version of the disk images where the Weapons menu is functional. Everything else about the game seems to be working in both Altirra and A800WIN. I don't get the error sound when trying to access the menu and I have all of the programs for the computer to enable weapons system functions. Every time I select the Weapons menu I hear the accepted beep and the simulator tries to access the disk in drive 2. At this point, the program is hung. It repeatedly tries to access the same sectors on the Flight 2 disk but never brings up the weapons screens.

It looks like your problem with the older versions is detailed in this FAQ: Universe FAQ

texacala,

The supplement was an add-on sold by Omnitrend and replaced the Partial Product List in the 3-ring binder manual. I bought mine at B&C Computervisions when they still had the retail store down in Santa Clara, CA.

The manual posted on Atarimania is the one that accompanied the software and does not include this add-on. The same is true for the PDF version of the manual that I downloaded recently. The Complete Product List add-on is not needed to play the game, but it certainly came in handy when I was playing at being a trader. It listed all of the products available and their sophistications so you could avoid bringing contraband material to planets that don't want them.

MrFish,

Thanks for the link to the FAQ. I will give it a perusal shortly. So far, the version 1.3 images that remowilliams posted have fixed the problem of not getting to the Weapons screen. I have yet to test whether the game will lock up during battle like it did on real hardware back in the '80s.

Russ

The Complete Product List add-on is not needed to play the game, but it certainly came in handy when I was playing at being a trader. It listed all of the products available and their sophistications so you could avoid bringing contraband material to planets that don't want them.

Yes, I've been looking for a copy of that for a long time now to scan, but so far have had no luck. :(

remowilliams,

Sorry to hear that. I will have another go at the parent's basement next time I am over there. Maybe my copy has survived. I will let you know what I find.

Russ

Hmm, not sure I remember seeing it in my copy but I'll have a look next time I'm in that box.

• 5 years later...

Has anyone ever actually finished this game? I put up that question last year but never heard from anyone that had finished the game.

I also put out an file to allow you to get up and running with the very best of equipment in a very short time. I'll post it again here...

David Milsop

Omnitrend's Quick Start.pdf

• Like 1

played this game for years... then lost it bought another copy and noticed they changed some things and the dos they were using... played it again for about a year and a half... moved and sure enough turned up 'lost' again... love the game but it sure can consume some massive amounts of your time

Edited by _The Doctor__

played this game for years... then lost it bought another copy and noticed they changed some things and the dos they were using... played it again for about a year and a half... moved and sure enough turned up 'lost' again... love the game but it sure can consume some massive amounts of your time

The best games do!

Otherwise.... well... we wouldn't waste time playing sucky games. (Usually)

I just wrote/posted a blog post and mentioned your Quick Start Guide ... which was the reason for the necro-bump.

http://atari8bitads.blogspot.com/2017/02/omnitrends-universe.html

Bill

"Look," I hollered to my wife. "I'm famous!" She looked at me and said," That's nice dear. Now take the trash out!"

"Yes dear." So much for fame...

In all seriousness, Very Nice Job.

But I ask again. Has anyone ever finished this GAME??? And what is the importance about loosing contact with Earth?

Oh, is that you behind the poster?

David

• Like 1

But I ask again. Has anyone ever finished this GAME??? And what is the importance about loosing contact with Earth?

Oh, is that you behind the poster?

In all of my attempts at playing this game, I have never even seen a sub space radio message!

That is not me behind the poster, that is VIstaPrint.com "print preview". It is the easiest was for me to capture the 'scale' of the document.

Bill

To help encourage someone, anyone, to finish this game, I created a Omnitrend's Universe group on Facebook.

I finally realized a mistake that I've been making. Whenever I got to the point that I had enough credits to make my way to Arbest and outfit my ship with the best equipment, I always got stuck. It seems, to me anyway, that in the manual under System 3 - Accumulators, part 16 implies that you can only have 3 installed. I'd always get stuck and never have enough energy to do anything else.

• Like 1

To help encourage someone, anyone, to finish this game, I created a Omnitrend's Universe group on Facebook.

I finally realized a mistake that I've been making. Whenever I got to the point that I had enough credits to make my way to Arbest and outfit my ship with the best equipment, I always got stuck. It seems, to me anyway, that in the manual under System 3 - Accumulators, part 16 implies that you can only have 3 installed. I'd always get stuck and never have enough energy to do anything else.

I figured that out one time when I wanted to jump from Vromus Prime to Axia. Fortunately I was still able to go back to the space dock and buy

more part number 16's. What it then took me a few seconds to realize was that you could only fit three in a hull. There is a note below Accumulators

that says you can have a total of 24 modules per ship. So I bought seven more hull and 21 more modules and I was set. You know I forgot to mention

that in my quick start notes. I'll update my notes now.

Thanks for pointing that out.

David

Bill Lange,

You the man! Thanks for reuniting me with a lost piece of Atari 8-bit fun.

I looked in the parent's basement numerous times and haven't found my manual, but this with the other stuff online, brings my available documentation for this game back to what is was in the day.

Now, if I can just find the time to play the game....

Russ.