IGNORED

Omnitrend's Universe

Kylev

On 11/16/2019 at 7:54 AM, wgmleslie said:

If you purchase a physical copy of Universe, I suggest going all the way and getting the original 8 /12" x 11" packaging which includes a padded, silk-screened, D-ring, easel-type binder -- which contributed in no small part to the cost of the product.

Those original binders are so nice  :)  

When I contacted Tom Carbone quite some number of years ago though he did still have original copies of Universe, unfortunately he did not have any of the binder copies.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

So I finally got around to ordering the 24x36 poster size of Universe. I didn't get a t-shirt or anything else, it came to about $30 including shipping, it should be here in a few days and I'll post a picture of it. I'm not going to worry about a frame for it, right away anyway, as I specifically installed white hardy-board on the walls around my work station for posters and such to easily apply and remove with that tacky stuff.

I found a vinyl binder version of the game, but for the Apple II, which I would have purchased and then just reformatted the disks and write the Atari versions to them, because I haven't seen any other pop up in the last few months. Unfortunately the asking price for it was $899.00.

I'll probably just print out the PDF's on good paper and put them in my own binder, and I can print out the title on sticker paper I have for the binder cover and disk labels. I just want something to display with my poster and be able to set on my lap or desk and flip through it, it doesn't have to be the real thing if they go for that much.

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 2

omnitrend-universe-v1.201.702.09.png

I also made another little poster of one of Omnitrend's ads for the game on some photo paper as well. Apparently I printed it on the wrong setting, so the very bottom was cut off, but in a good spot that looks ok.

20200203_090055.jpg

Omnitrends_Universe_Omnitrend_Software_1983_ad.jpg

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gunstar said:

My Universe poster arrived today! I'm glad the huge blank spot on my wall that was reserved for the poster is finally filled.

20200206_161405.jpg

Looks good.  I assume you painted those speakers to match the XL styling?  Great attention to detail!

• Like 2

@Stephen Yes, I painted them. From '85 to about '05 I always had mismatching components from 800/XL/XE lines, and I never liked it, I accepted it. When I finally put together a system with matching peripherals, I was so enthused about it I made the decision I want everything connected to the system to match too, ST mouse, PC speakers, etc.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hey guys.. is there any indication in game what version of the game your playing??

Also I have a PDF of the manual , and it talks about Atari  version allowing you to use 2 drives.. I am using SIO2PC.. and I follow the directions but the version I have will not allow 2 drives..

SO my question is.. am I running an older 1.0 or 1.1 or something that does not have multi drive ability?  OR???

James

1 hour ago, BillC said:

It's been a long time, IIRC you had to hold a certain key during boot when using 2 drives. It would then prompt you to insert the Player disc in drive 2, you still had to swap the other discs in Drive 1 when prompted.

My memory was a bit off, I found this in another thread.

OK, got ya Bill, but I had not even been in the game 30secs??

James

Managed to get to the system report.. I dont start with any crew.. it says crew 0.. how does that happen??

Edited by Bikerbob
new information

So through this thread and another Omnitrend's Universe thread, I have found 1.1 , 1.2, and 1.3    - In the early ones I have to do all the disk swapping.

In the 1.3 ones I have run so far.. both on Altirra and on real 800 incognito.. I die before I can do anything.. The clock up in the top corner, I have no idea how its supposed to count.. but it moves fast, and by anything I understand in a date/clock is moving months or years at a time. 

Anyone help me play this??   I think I could dump the ATR back on to floppies and try it that way.. but not sure if something else is going on?

James

32 minutes ago, Bill Lange said:

In Altirra, make sure the emulator is not in Warp Speed mode. Check under the System menu that Warp Speed is unchecked. That should slow the clock down.

In the Quick Start Guide mentioned above, in Step #4, you need to hire a crew and purchase food.

Bill, thanks for the reply.. but this is happening on real hardware or Altirra.. so thats not an issue.. though I made sure I was only emu at 100% anyway.

As for your 2nd point.. the same point you made 2 posts ago.. I never get there.. I die within the first menu choice I make in the game.. PERIOD

James

So just made up some floppies with prosystem.

Construction boots fine, I get to buy the ship, format the player disk is drive 2 (option) format completes, screen goes black. NOTHING. game is done.

Are versions 1.2 and 1.3 official?   I used to own this game, kicking myself for throwing it out or whatever in the late 90s - but here I am. EMU or Hardware FLoppy or ATR.. I cannot get this to run.

James

zip archive here in this thread Version 1.3 format disabled.zip   worked for me. Many others all gave me the issues listed in the above 6 posts.   YEAH!! :)

Edited by Bikerbob
new information