IGNORED

Omnitrend's Universe

Kylev

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The interview with William Leslie, the developer of Universe for the Atari 800, has now been posted on Antic The Atari 8-bit Computer Podcast. You can download it from iTunes or Google Play or at:

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/antic-interview-286-william-leslie-omnitrend-universe

thanks

Randy Kindig

co-host Antic ataripodcast.com

That URL didn't work but this one should:

http://ataripodcast.libsyn.com/webpage/antic-interview-286-william-leslie-omnitrend-universe

The URL hyperlink underneath the text has an extra /category/ in it.

(I really need to catch up on these podcasts -- keep up the great work guys!! )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...
On 2/9/2017 at 10:58 PM, Bill Lange said:

So I made a 24x36 poster of Universe. Let me know what you think.

post-188-0-32840600-1486699114_thumb.png

Hi Bill, 

Bill Leslie here (aka William G M Leslie III).  Would it by possible to purchase a copy of your poster?  I love it!

Thanks!

• Like 7

I played quite a bit out of this game BITD. Never fully comprehended if there was ever an "end-game" to it. There were parts of it that seemed advanced for its time. I played it after Elite came out on the BBC Micro and there were things I liked in it - such as the ability to target certain components in an enemy ship (Elite Dangerous now has that). I also thought the way the trading board was set up and changed as trades came and went was a particularly great idea.

On 11/5/2019 at 5:07 PM, Tickled_Pink said:

I played quite a bit out of this game BITD. Never fully comprehended if there was ever an "end-game" to it. There were parts of it that seemed advanced for its time. I played it after Elite came out on the BBC Micro and there were things I liked in it - such as the ability to target certain components in an enemy ship (Elite Dangerous now has that). I also thought the way the trading board was set up and changed as trades came and went was a particularly great idea.

Somehow, when Tom and I were writing and designing the game, an actual end never really came up for discussion until we were very near to freezing the code and shipping.

I did tack-on an end of sorts (or a clue to it).  It requires that you have a W-reun in the cargo hold and that you be in a certain star system after a certain date.  I don’t remember the date exactly (maybe 5-10 years in?) but I’m pretty sure you need to be in the Douglas-Ouyang system for something to happen.

It’s been 35 years, so the details are a bit fuzzy but a screen that probably no one has seen in a very long time will appear.  It is not like any of the other screens in the game.  If you do find it, please get some screen captures!  It has some interesting sound effects unique to the screen as well.  A copy of the Player disk would be a good thing too.

The W-reun is described in the Complete Products Guide (last page) as, “Ancient irregular octagonal stones found in space.”  What else is octagonal?

s-l300.jpg

• Like 6

I've played Universe a lot over the years. Playing in Altirra with two virtual drives to cut down on excessive disk swaps and ability to speed up the emulator during the slow (graphic drawing) parts is really useful. I always enjoyed figuring out profitable trade routes and those one or two items that you can make ridiculous profits on. I never saw the End Game screen.  

I very much hope too, but I've not looked into it yet, pricing and such. There is a limit to how much I'll pay to have a big poster printed, and I don't know what Vistaprint's or similar prices our on such things. I've had stuff printed for my business, but it was shirts, hats and truck door company magnets and the 500 business cards for $10 thing. (just the cards for $10 of course, the total was around $300)

Edited by Gunstar

27 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

I very much hope too, but I've not looked into it yet, pricing and such. There is a limit to how much I'll pay to have a big poster printed, and I don't know what Vistaprint's or similar prices our on such things. I've had stuff printed for my business, but it was shirts, hats and truck door company magnets and the 500 business cards for $10 thing. (just the cards for $10 of course, the total was around $300)

I purchased a 11 x 17 print ($3.89) and 2 XL t-shirts ($15.96 for both) , so it wasn't too bad.  I got the print in 11 x 17 because 24 x 36 (poster size) is a very hard size to find a good frame for under $50.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2019 at 1:08 PM, Bill Lange said:

If any one of you that have downloaded the poster and actually have it printed and hung, please post a pic.

I purchased a 11 x 17 inch print from Vistaprint and a Darice 97269 Modern Frame, Plastic and Glass, Black, 11 x 17 inches from Amazon.  The print came out very well and the frame is excellent -- strong ABS plastic and real glass with rounded edges.  The frame came in a layer of sticky bubble-wrap and the print in a heavy cardboard tube.

IMG_0193.jpg

• Like 8

On 11/8/2019 at 1:51 PM, wgmleslie said:

I purchased a 11 x 17 print ($3.89) and 2 XL t-shirts ($15.96 for both) , so it wasn't too bad.  I got the print in 11 x 17 because 24 x 36 (poster size) is a very hard size to find a good frame for under $50.

I'll make my own frame, 11x17 isn't big enough for me, especially if the 11x17 is that cheap. I want the 24x36. I just happen to have some 24x36 storm window pains I can use the glass from. I'll probably get a t-shirt too. I still need to find an original Atari 8-bit version of the game too, complete and in good condition or better. I was always curious about this game back in the day, but with a small teen-age budget and knowing little about the game from small ads in Analog/Antic magazines, I was weary of spending 3 times the normal game price on it. Of course now, I wish I had spent the money. But then I am not sure I would have had the patience and attention span for it back then that I do now.

11 hours ago, Gunstar said:

I'll make my own frame, 11x17 isn't big enough for me, especially if the 11x17 is that cheap. I want the 24x36. I just happen to have some 24x36 storm window pains I can use the glass from. I'll probably get a t-shirt too. I still need to find an original Atari 8-bit version of the game too, complete and in good condition or better. I was always curious about this game back in the day, but with a small teen-age budget and knowing little about the game from small ads in Analog/Antic magazines, I was weary of spending 3 times the normal game price on it. Of course now, I wish I had spent the money. But then I am not sure I would have had the patience and attention span for it back then that I do now.

I was going to make my own as well but I'm a bit shy on time and I just wanted it done.  Below is a photo of the t-shirt I purchased.  The transfer is very nice but for some reason (lack of sleep?) I didn't order the shirt in black.  But it still looks good in white.

If you purchase a physical copy of Universe, I suggest going all the way and getting the original 8 /12" x 11" packaging which includes a padded, silk-screened, D-ring, easel-type binder -- which contributed in no small part to the cost of the product.

IMG_0202.JPG

IMG_0205.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0209.JPG

• Like 2

@wgmleslie Yes, of course I want the best version of the game, so now I know what to look for, thank you. It will probably cost me at least the full original price, if not more too! But then, in today's money that would end up being about the same or less...right? I was imagining a black T, yes, and maybe get the print a bit larger than on your's too.

2 hours ago, Gunstar said:

@wgmleslie Yes, of course I want the best version of the game, so now I know what to look for, thank you. It will probably cost me at least the full original price, if not more too! But then, in today's money that would end up being about the same or less...right? I was imagining a black T, yes, and maybe get the print a bit larger than on your's too.

I think on Vistaprint, that was the maximum printable area.  Good luck with your search!