IGNORED

Season #2 Game #6 - Astrosmash

Most likely final shot: 756,410 :sad: Went through 90+ lives to get that last 6k. Unless I feel extremely lucky or inspired, I'm laying down the controller...for now.

Not ready to give up yet, but damn close.

post-25215-0-79704100-1309832694_thumb.jpg

post-25215-0-36040900-1309832718_thumb.jpg

Edited by zylon

As long as its normal to the console... as Mills Lane would say "I'll allow it" (I appreciate you being honest however Jacob) unless if some of the Astrosmash veterans can shed any reason why it shouldnt.

Hmmm. Never knew that and might have to test that out. :ponder:

Interesting!

Zylon didn't know this, I didn't either untill last night... it makes things a bit easier IMO.

I did play with original controller and intellivision.

If this score is not valid, I can use my 300ks or try it again.

We will see.

Interesting!

Zylon didn't know this, I didn't either untill last night... it makes things a bit easier IMO.

I did play with original controller and intellivision.

If this score is not valid, I can use my 300ks or try it again.

We will see.

I'd argue the score is perfectly valid. There's nothing about using the regular fire button in conjunction with autofire that fundamentally breaks the game, because you can still only have two shots in the air at any one time. My perception is that simply holding down the fire button isn't especially advantageous, but I could be wrong. My habit is to use it as I would as if autofire is off, against specific targets. When the heat is on, this can send off the second shot more rapidly than the auto fire would. Depending on the autofire cycle, this can give you a kind of doubled rapid shot for a greater chance to hit what you want. This ends up being especially important against flying saucers to get through their blanket of bullets.

You really want an epic fail of Astrosmash, try the handheld Astrosmash that came out in the 10 and 25 in 1s.... That one really is bad....

Akito, I look forward to seeing it...

Jacob, easy hint on Tarmin, STAY AWAY from the scorpions early on, as they throw the lightning bolts that can erase virtually all your 6pts of spirital in one shot (aka build up that side before going after 1)

You really want an epic fail of Astrosmash, try the handheld Astrosmash that came out in the 10 and 25 in 1s.... That one really is bad....

Akito, I look forward to seeing it...

Jacob, easy hint on Tarmin, STAY AWAY from the scorpions early on, as they throw the lightning bolts that can erase virtually all your 6pts of spirital in one shot (aka build up that side before going after 1)

Ugh! I tried that handheld thing years ago. I went on a date with the woodchipper not long after. If I remember right, Buzz Bombers was on there and dumbed down so much that a dead guy could've played it.

I've also tested the PS1 collection. That ones pretty close.

Edited by zylon

So do I, I have a feeling you could do great...

Suprisingly, I have one of those controllers I haven't smashed the heck out of yet... (Thunder Castle is suprisingly playable on it lol)

The PS2 collection of INTV is rather well as well (as well as some good music from Astrosmash!)

I never personally cared for Buzz Bombers, maybe I need to torture myself and put it up for a round lol

D&D Treasure of Tarmin

350 (Disc)

For fun, I played game (3 easy) again, and got the tarmin treasure! First time ever today... defeated Minotaur standing there, all the way down in floor 18?!

The blue book held in right hand, you can move through the walls!

post-3059-0-39106100-1310067588_thumb.jpg

post-3059-0-36897000-1310067662_thumb.jpg

Yes on Tarmin easy (#3 to start) the Minotaur is on level 2, and won't reappear until about 18-21. After that point it is possible to see him multiple times on the same level until you choose to open up his chest.

There are actually 3 books (and 3 types of "wierd power doors") The one you found is the teleport book (will not teleport you into a squarte that has an enemy or another "wierd power door" room. The other two allow you to see through walls, and to turn non platinum items (war weapons, armor/shields, and treasure) into platinum! (red/pink, and purple) respectively.

I also found out that "REST" restores your spiritual/power! LOL... that helps to know that! I got 350, not even knowing I could eat or whatever rest means.

I did know about it by the time I played easy game. I read the manual before but not all the info sticks in my head.

3 books yes, I found and used em all, I had a great game going... on (Disc)

I was very powerful, nice armor and had powerful arrow/bows plus a sheild.

Then on floor 7?, I opened a bag and a black bomb TOOK all my powers away and it destroyed me and my game !!!

My levels were in the 30/40s! UGH...

Yep, buh-bombs :) hehehe, dont trust all nice packages :)

LOL, well I been blown up about 3 more times, but survived them!

No better score, thanks to some scorpion I didn't see to my right who,

I thought I could kill (I was over 20/20 in strength), but he had some massive

weapon, and two hits did me in... :x

Now that I get the rules, I'm enjoying this D&D game more. Intellivisiondid a very nice job on both the D&D games. They remind me of the Pitfall games on 2600.

Why??

Well, both series Pitfall/D&Ds did a major change up in rules and ideas on their 2nd editions, but still decent stuff and nice contrasts to their first games.

My favs are Pitfall and Tarmin.

My least fav would be Pitfall II, I had fun with it but never cared much for the checkpoints. Once I knew where to go, the game became pretty easy and a bit boring, especially with no risk of losing a life.

Wow...

As a kid I NEVER played to the end!

I would get bored and quit after a few hundred thousand with hundreds of extra ships. I figured it was a waste of time.

Today, I didn't play my best game. I think I peeked at 246 extra ships. I have had much higher in the past.

Anyway....At 750,000 the game became "luck" for me. The guided missiles are just to frequent to play a game of skill.

But, the missiles would take out a spinner I could not get too etc. and I fought my way to 900K More than double my previous high.

At 900k I had 8 ships left and I think the game actually eased up on me when I would go below that. Letting me hang on for 45K more points.

I have a new found respect for anyone that hits a million points on this game!

I think this will be my only attempt. But....I could almost taste the million mark myself. And knowing I didn't start out as well as I could....?

I hope someone can do it!

My wife is a little ticked at me now... I was going to bed in a few minutes ( several hours ago! LOL )

Here is my photo.

post-7434-0-06288300-1310273439_thumb.jpg

post-26894-0-08705900-1310274798_thumb.jpg

post-26894-0-04110400-1310274810_thumb.jpg

Peak Score = 936,770

This has gotten very interesting now. As in GameRoom, I've been forced into a bit of humility and the second place spot.

The game definitely takes it's heel off your throat once you get below 8 ships, and that's when you have to make bank as best you can. From about 870,000 onward, I was pretty much riding the single digits of ship count. There's no doubt that the secret to reaching a million is going to be in mastering that part of the end game.

• Like 1

Welcome Austin to the HSC (We're happy to have you), and all I can say is wow, 1980gamer, when you want to make an appearance, YOU MAKE an appearance :) Congrats on your score so far... :)

Remember, posting a AD&D Tarmin score beating mine posted by the end of this round gets your Astrosmash ranking score doubled!!! (Example Akito's 9pts for 2nd is actually getting him 18pts for having his Tarmin score of 580 posted)

Without further ado, here's the updated leaderboard (again not at home hence no graphic version)

Season 2 - Game 6 "Astrosmash w/Tarmin kicker"

1 ) 1980gamer 945,875 (No Bonus) 10pts

2 ) Akito01 936,770 (580 - Yes) 18pts (9*2)

3 ) Zylon 756,410 (No Bonus) 8pts

4 ) JacobZu 642,975 (350 - Yes) 12pts (6*2)

5 ) INTVDude 248,930 (No Bonus) 4pts

6 ) Austin 201,765 (No Bonus) 2pts

7 ) RoadRunner 174,695 (No Bonus) 1pt

8 ) ed1475 104,100 (360 - Yes) 2pts (1*2)

Edited by cparsley