IGNORED

Maze Craze - 256 Maze Version

MaxSpeed

The mazes are randomly generated in Maze Craze (that's why the screen goes crazy before you start a game) so there are probably tens of thousands of possible mazes.

But you're talking about game variations, and you're actually right. I just tried the ROM on Atariage and it has 16 game variations X 4 visibility configurations. I remember my old Maze Craze cart having a huge amount of game variations that were simply numbered 1-200 something. I never realized they released two versions of it. Pretty cool fact.

BTW: Maze Craze has some cool programming tricks in it. I disassembled part of it to get some help with Marble Craze. The way the maze is stored is interesting. If you know 2600 programming and look at the maze, it's not easy (for me at least) to figure out how he stored the maze. It looks like there's not enough RAM. And the Marble Craze kernal uses a bunch of cycle squeezing tricks from the Maze Craze kernal.

-Paul

In the DP they say there is a 256 game version and a later more common 16 game version that has a decal on the front of "a bumbling security gaurd trying to stop a drug crazed Atari employee from escaping the warehouse with this weeks payroll". I would be very grateful to see the label on the 256 game version so I know what to look for. If anyone has a scan of this label, please post it. The AtariAge rarity guide shows only the 16 game picture label described above. :D

If you have not played this game, it is a simple & great two player game ! Try It ! ;)

I LOVED this as a 2 player game way back when - there was another thread talking about the best 2 player games - this is one of them - Quick, Fast, Hyper and the thrill of victory to run into your opponents face (until they hit the reset button)

Inviso mazes were the best!

Insert your maze craze into your atari 2600. Now with the power switch, make attempts to turn it on ever so slightly. Keep turning it on, to the point it will barely turn on. (this may take several attempts)

Instead of a Maze, a grid will appear. The two characters will be able to run around this grid. It's kind of fun, and I remember doing this when I was about 8 years old.

Check it out.

ClintK

Sweet!  That is one cool image.  Does the corresponding cart label look like that as well?

I've definitely never seen that Maze Craze pix before. Of course, I'm not really into collecting boxes. I would have to guess that only text label carts came in that box. Interesting, very interesting. Scott, do you have any more details?

Sweet! That is one cool image. Does the corresponding cart label look like that as well? If so, I gotta have one of those! Shibby!

AFAIK no. My Maze Craze box like that came with the regular cartridge inside. I think there was a mix up with the art department on which picture was going to be used. That's my theory anyway.

Tempest

It always seemed obvious to me that Atari was trying to pass off the game as having 256 variations, simply because there are 16 selections with four levels of visibility apiece. You have to admit, that is something that the folks at Atari would do.

Later, someone obviously realized that this was just silly (or perhaps received a lot of complaints from buyers), so the front was changed to read "16."

CF

Insert your maze craze into your atari 2600.  Now with the power switch, make attempts to turn it on ever so slightly.  Keep turning it on, to the point it will barely turn on.   (this may take several attempts)

Yeah, that's called "frying". Me & my brother discovered that one when we were kids.

Instead of a Maze, a grid will appear.  The two characters will be able to run around this grid.  It's kind of fun

Yeah, the tag variations are a blast... We'd play that for hours, running around trying to catch the other guy.

Someone else already pointed out the 16 * 4 * 4 = 256 explanation, which makes sense. Technically there ARE 256 different permutations, but it's more useful to treat it as 16 variations with sub-variations.

I'm sure the initial intent was just to amaze (no pun intended) everyone with... WOW... 256 games on one cartridge! In hindsight, the whole promotion of the number of game variations at all was kind of silly, and clearly just a lame and misguided marketing tactic.

But boy, did it work on me when I was 8 years old! I thought it was super-cool that Space Invaders had 112 variations, even though I really only ever played #1 (so I could get the double-shots trick). I used to spend hours reading the Atari game catalogs, and I wanted to get Maze Craze (but never did), just because it had 256 variations. I felt betrayed when the later catalogs started promoting it has having only 16!

The misleading game variation numbers remind me of the old TV commercials for the digital watches that came free when you ordered Ginsu knives. They said it was a six function digital watch. The six functions were:

1. hours

2. minutes

3. seconds

4. month

5. day

6. year

Really it's a 2 function watch: time & date :)

• 5 months later...

You guys are all wrong. The box that says "16 video games" was the original box, and they later changed it to say 256 games. I have the box that says 16 on it, and it has a copyright date of 1978, whereas the box that has 256 games on it has a copyright date of 1980.