IGNORED

Space Harrier Released

Sheddy

I'm sorry to see people complaining this much. considering that Chris(sheddy) is giving away the rom and Source for free I don't understand where someone has the right to bitch this much. I'm even selling the game in my store (because of steves sale price) for only $39.95. What more can people ask for?

I say "Thank you Chris for this awesome game. I was proud to be a part of it and I hope to see something else from you in the future"

• Like 4

hey...

The ATR that is downloadable in this thread does not work on my brandnew bought AtariMax 8Mbit flash carts. It programs fine, but the programmed cart does not work.

I downloaded through another link (on a german message board) a so called working version of Space Harrier for 8Mbit carts, but now I'm here on my vacation address I find out this version is again a .BIN file. I can not do anything with that here, and I wonder if i can do something with that at home.

Is there someone who can provide a new and tested version of Space Harrier for the (new?) AtariMax 8Mbit flash carts? I would love to play the game here.

thanks

Marius

I'm sorry to see people complaining this much. considering that Chris(sheddy) is giving away the rom and Source for free I don't understand where someone has the right to bitch this much. I'm even selling the game in my store (because of steves sale price) for only $39.95. What more can people ask for?

I say "Thank you Chris for this awesome game. I was proud to be a part of it and I hope to see something else from you in the future"

Now I understand what we talked some Months ago about that Money investment on that game.

I really don't understand this...

Most of the People with real Machines surely use the cart price on a Night or a Dinner.

They sure have XBOX, PS3,... and buy Games for them...

This really have no comprehension.

And what anyone here that try and invest time on doing new and great stuff will think when they saw this about a Game that probably the best in all the A8 Machines History.

Hope all continue to do something for A8!

José Pereira.

• Like 1

The ATR that is downloadable in this thread does not work on my brandnew bought AtariMax 8Mbit flash carts. It programs fine, but the programmed cart does not work.

I downloaded through another link (on a german message board) a so called working version of Space Harrier for 8Mbit carts, but now I'm here on my vacation address I find out this version is again a .BIN file. I can not do anything with that here, and I wonder if i can do something with that at home.

Is there someone who can provide a new and tested version of Space Harrier for the (new?) AtariMax 8Mbit flash carts? I would love to play the game here.

Marius, I attach my .atr that works with my AtariMax cart but I downloaded it from here too!

Space Harrier (Maxflash 8 mb cart flasher).atr

@Philsan

What is the age of your 8Mbit carts? I have the newest ones (I guess. I received them today). I'll try your ATR tonight, and if that fails I will contact Steven Tucker and send him the BIN. Perhaps he understands the problem...

Thanks anyway for you fast response!

Greetz

Marius

@Philsan

What is the age of your 8Mbit carts? I have the newest ones (I guess. I received them today). I'll try your ATR tonight, and if that fails I will contact Steven Tucker and send him the BIN. Perhaps he understands the problem...

Thanks anyway for you fast response!

Greetz

Marius

My cart is only few days older than yours, unless Steven store mine in a cellar with good wine. :D

Have you tested it with another Atari?

Edited by Philsan

The guy has spent 10 years coding this thing. He has the source code.. What is a month or so (if even that long) of aditional work, moving some code around and recompiling to produce a version that would load into extended ram in stages?

WOW

@philsan It still does not work. But I got a bit further now...

To all:

When I insert the cart and switch on the computer -> nothing happens or sometimes i get into basic, sometimes i get into selftest, with Qmeg OS installed I get into Qmeg OS.

BUT:

When I first switch on the Atari and THEN insert the cartridge (followed by reset) it works.

Is this a known issue?

I have tried this on standard 64KB XL/XE too. Same issues.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks

Marius

Looks like the cartridges start in bank zero, but Space Harrier is expecting it to start in 7F. The Maxflash Studio software will start normally in bank 0 or 7F, which is why the carts work fine but not with Space Harrier.

It can probably be worked around easily by just placing a JMP to the startup code in Space Harrier bank 0 code, however I will go through a couple of carts and see if there is a hardware issue.

Steve

The guy has spent 10 years coding this thing. He has the source code.. What is a month or so (if even that long) of aditional work, moving some code around and recompiling to produce a version that would load into extended ram in stages?

Isn't it asking too much.

How many disks you would need to save it?

How much does a 5 1/4Diskette cost today?

How many extended Memory and SIO2PC users are there?

Why he will bother doing that? He has done things universal and for all.

Today this is a Hobby but wasn't also a Hobby on the past?

On the past we all have to get money from our family...

Today we are almost all living their own lifes and finances... We just need to see if we have Money we buy, if we don't we don't buy.

I don't have Money now to buy an 800XL then I don't buy.

When I have I know that I will need to double or triple the Machine price to buy cables, those carts (including Kjmann package of SH),...

It's just a financial question and by now I do all things and play games in an emulator.

I have to accept what all here does and in what format they release.

It's indeed very good to have all these games for free.

Many people here are best, probably, on Commy, CPC and Zx Market where Chronosoft,Psytronic and others still sell the games in cassete and diskette formats.

These companies still think that they are today's Ocean or U.S.Gold (they even doesn't seem to sell most of the games at budget prices).

And most of the games are more like old Budget CodeMasters, Mastertronic or Firebird releases.

Oh God! Make me good but not yet!...

I prefer that Sheddy waste 1Month thinking and planning what game he would code in the next years.

It then take it's time but for sure will be another 'Crash Smash' or 'Szziler' in Zx/C64 Magazines words.

I just can't be quiet with all that is going on!

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira

Looks like the cartridges start in bank zero, but Space Harrier is expecting it to start in 7F. The Maxflash Studio software will start normally in bank 0 or 7F, which is why the carts work fine but not with Space Harrier.

It can probably be worked around easily by just placing a JMP to the startup code in Space Harrier bank 0 code, however I will go through a couple of carts and see if there is a hardware issue.

Steve

But why my new cart works then?

But why my new cart works then?

There were some old stock and some new stock sent out in the last couple days. Since the cart I'm holding is new stock and has the behavior of starting in bank zero, I'm guessing you have the old stock carts.

I'm going to open up a few momentarily and check the hardware. If there is an issue I'll rebuild them all before any more go out.

If someone can rebuild the SH sources to include a startup stub in bank 0 as well as bank 127, it will work fine on these carts.

Steve

Edited by classics

I had flaky issues with my (older) 8MB carts on the machine I was using. I did the Bob Puff #1 stabilization mod on it and it's worked just fine since.

I used the .bin in post 11

All my Atari's I'm using are updated with these fixes. That can not be the issue. It is probably what Steven Tucker describes in his posts about that start Bank.

@Steve. Btw. Your summergames conversion works great. I guess the hardware (carts) is fine. So I hope you can fix the spaceharrier issue here. Thanks a lot!

Marius

Steve

Oops :| It hadn't occurred to me that there could be versions of the 8mbit carts that started in different banks. I'd assumed the jmp straight to bank 0 in bank 127 was just there to make it easier for the Maxflash Studio software to work with both the 8Mbit carts and the 1Mbit carts (which always start in bank 0). I'll see about getting a fix done that can work with both versions.

• Like 1

Ok, I am rebuilding all of the 8mbit cartridges I have in stock before any more go out.

There are a few recently manufactured 8mbit carts out now that will start in bank 0x00 instead of 0x7F. This is not an issue with programs/menus created with the Maxflash Studio software, as it will handle start in either bank 0x00 or 0x7F.

However, programs that expect bank 0x7F at startup will not work and crash on startup. Those cartridges will need to be exchanged for new ones, or the programs patched to work with startup in bank 0x00.

I have tracked down the problem to a change in the 22V10 used. I didn't notice it in FQA because the carts work perfectly fine with Maxflash Studio generated software. Sorry guys.

Once I have rebuilt all the carts in stock and those still boxed up waiting for the post office I will report back again as I will be testing all of them with SH to make sure the issue does not crop back up.

If you are holding one or more of these carts and want them exchanged, please contact me at classics@atarimax.com and I will arrange it for you.

Thanks,

Steve

• Like 1

WOW

Well, one could flip this around.

Wow! Look at this 10 year effort! Not only can I just play it for free, but look! The source code is there too, and I can build it on MY STUFF! Who would have thought I would ever get a chance to work with something like this, able to customize it for my classic computing setup, just how I want it!

:)

• Like 1

Rather than you waiting for me, this is the fix by Jürgen on the ABBUC forums for Megamax carts that Rybags linked to a few pages back. The Megamax works like the "problem" Maxflash carts, and Jürgen left in the stuff that makes it work on the normal Maxflash carts - So it should work with all Maxflash carts as well. I've attached a programming image here too.

Just checked it on one of the carts that's going to get reprogrammed, works perfectly! :-)

Steve

Rather than you waiting for me, this is the fix by Jürgen on the ABBUC forums for Megamax carts that Rybags linked to a few pages back. The Megamax works like the "problem" Maxflash carts, and Jürgen left in the stuff that makes it work on the normal Maxflash carts - So it should work with all Maxflash carts as well. I've attached a programming image here too.

Just checked it on one of the carts that's going to get reprogrammed, works perfectly! :-)

Steve

No it doesn't. Sorry Chris. This version Crashes during stage 2 Every time.

Steve

No it doesn't. Sorry Chris. This version Crashes during stage 2 Every time.

That's...curious. The hack looked OK on the face of it. It doesn't overwrite any code or data. :?