IGNORED

Space Harrier Released

Sheddy

Chris,

I am not a fan of Space Harrier (my thumb suffers too much with this game...) but you've done a wonderful work.

BTW, I like the hi-score saving feature.

Not only you're an excellent coder but you're one of the few actually able to start and finish a big project.

• Like 1

First of all - great game! speed is awesome!

Sheddy :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I had a quick play around in the Altirra debug with this...

Saw one block of code executing with lots of consecutive STYs (brute force "CPU blit" )

Any reason why is it STY ?

I bet Sheddy had a good reason, but what was it ? :)

don't know myself actually! STAs and STXs, yes.

Have a look if you want. (This would be useful for trying to convert to other storage formats too. You'll soon see why I'm not too keen.) Start at sh.asm. Apologies in advance for general messiness and not very many helpful comments.

Attachment is .7z, but inside a .zip as AtariAge doesn't allow .7z - and it's too big as a .zip to post

SH.zip

• Like 6

here's a revised version

High Res Version Click Here

World-class artwork, for a worldclass piece of code... and all this for a computing platform that somehow has managed to escape the effects of space-and-time, and live on with vibrancy, for almost thirty (30) *Y*E*A*R*S*...

F-*S*I*C*K* (!!!)

F.

Have a look if you want. (This would be useful for trying to convert to other storage formats too. You'll soon see why I'm not too keen.) Start at sh.asm. Apologies in advance for general messiness and not very many helpful comments.

Attachment is .7z, but inside a .zip as AtariAge doesn't allow .7z - and it's too big as a .zip to post

Damn - thank for posting that!

First of all - great game! speed is awesome!

Sheddy :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I had a quick play around in the Altirra debug with this...

Saw one block of code executing with lots of consecutive STYs (brute force "CPU blit" )

Any reason why is it STY ?

I bet Sheddy had a good reason, but what was it ? :)

Thanks, Chris, for releasing the source code!

So is someone gonna make an XE SUPERCART binary?

I really dont fancy the idea of buying another atarimax cart, when Ive got like 12 Bughunt carts laying around here that could easily be modified to use a 27C080..

I'd be real happy if someone did this. I'd even do a "write-up" on exactly how to mod the cart, so others could benefit..

That would be awesome! FInally, a good use for a Bughunt cart! icon_wink.gif

Chris, I just going through your comments file and I was wondering how did you converted the game. Did you disassembled the original game and hacked it to get a grip how the game handles all the stuff? because when I am reading your comments I suppose that you not only played the game til death but also know everything from the arcade machine and the code itself? or did you used the Amiga/ST versions?

:o :o

Respect for this masterpiece of work!!!

Also nice to see it work on my real hardware, using a MaxFlash cartridge & Maxflash Cartridge Studio. (The .bin-file to be found here works! :) )

Also very nice to see the source code. Especially interesting to see how the sprites/objects are 'hard-coded', using unrolled drawing routines.

But, my mouth really fell open when I saw all the source code: over 7000 files. What a job!!! :-o

Also respect to kjmann, but most respect (by very very far) to SHEDDY :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Sorry, I'm sure this was addressed earlier, but what are the memory requirements for this? will it work with a stock 64k XL? :ponder:

If you have a 1Mbyte Flashcart (EDIT: or the official game cartridge), then it will work on stock 64kB XL hardware.

Edited by analmux

Sorry, I'm sure this was addressed earlier, but what are the memory requirements for this? will it work with a stock 64k XL? :ponder:

If you have a 1Mbyte Flashcart (EDIT: or the official game cartridge), then it will work on stock 64kB XL hardware.

The .bin Keeps crashing in my atari800 emulator. do I need to have specific settings applied?

EDIT: just got it, changed cartridge type. very nice!!

Edited by VicViper

Chris, I just going through your comments file and I was wondering how did you converted the game. Did you disassembled the original game and hacked it to get a grip how the game handles all the stuff? because when I am reading your comments I suppose that you not only played the game til death but also know everything from the arcade machine and the code itself? or did you used the Amiga/ST versions?

Did play arcade version a lot, but didn't look at the code on any versions. Writing my own code from scratch was the fun bit for me.

• Like 2

I just programmed an 8MBit flash cart and played some rounds.... perfect! Awesome gfx and great stereo-sound! Time to order some new 8MBit carts - I´ll never erase space harrier from the cart! Great work! Thanks a lot for your constant work.

Sleeπ

Edited by Sleepy

And a colon or dash before "Get Ready" in the title would be nice... ;)

Anyway: I almost forgot to say what I was intending to post about. UK readers: check out this week's "Micro Mart" for a nice write-up by Shaun on the Space Harrier release.

Edited by flashjazzcat

And a colon or dash before "Get Ready" in the title would be nice... ;)

Anyway: I almost forgot to say what I was intending to post about. UK readers: check out this week's "Micro Mart" for a nice write-up by Shaun on the Space Harrier release.

I fixed the Spelling Error and the Random Caps. Sega themselves didn't use a Hyphen or Colon. they used a comma just like I did.

Sega themselves didn't use a Hyphen or Colon. they used a comma just like I did.

That don't make it correct, lol. If Sega jumped off a cliff, etc... :)

Any chance of photo or scan?

Their website seems to hold back the news for about 6 months.

Not yet: I didn't buy it this week because I'm trying to demonstrate to the wife that I'm "economising". :) I'll pick it up tomorrow and scan it, though. ;)