IGNORED

Space Harrier Released

Sheddy

Oh I don't disagree, but I was specifically referencing the most recent games to come out of Europe in the last few years... We have a number of those that don't work on NTSC

I was very disappointed to find out the Night Driver port is PAL only.

Oh I don't disagree, but I was specifically referencing the most recent games to come out of Europe in the last few years... We have a number of those that don't work on NTSC

i was dissapointed to find out the Atari 8 are not able to do NTSC/PAL like the ST and Amiga. :(

i was dissapointed to find out the Atari 8 are not able to do NTSC/PAL like the ST and Amiga. :(

Now that we have data on Antic's internals, it should be pretty easy to make a drop-in replacement that can do 50/60 on the fly. :)

Sega themselves didn't use a Hyphen or Colon. they used a comma just like I did.

That don't make it correct, lol. If Sega jumped off a cliff, etc... :)

Any chance of photo or scan?

Their website seems to hold back the news for about 6 months.

Not yet: I didn't buy it this week because I'm trying to demonstrate to the wife that I'm "economising". :) I'll pick it up tomorrow and scan it, though. ;)

hahaha... that's good! reminds me that I cancled my WoW account plus less games buying... but this week I could not resist and bought the latest Dragon Quest for the NDS...

Any chance of photo or scan?

Not yet: I didn't buy it this week because I'm trying to demonstrate to the wife that I'm "economising". :) I'll pick it up tomorrow and scan it, though. ;)

hahaha... that's good! reminds me that I cancled my WoW account plus less games buying... but this week I could not resist and bought the latest Dragon Quest for the NDS...

Oh, it's terrible. I've even had to stop buying monitors, lol. :)

Today I ordered 5 of those brilliant MaxFlash 8Mbit carts.

There is a "SALE" going now on AtariMax. 5 8Mbit carts, for less than 100 USD!!

That's a VERY decent price!

+1 for AtariMax again.

I can't wait playing this game! I hope the shipping will go lightning fast.

Greetz

M.

Today I ordered 5 of those brilliant MaxFlash 8Mbit carts.

There is a "SALE" going now on AtariMax. 5 8Mbit carts, for less than 100 USD!!

That's a VERY decent price!

+1 for AtariMax again.

I can't wait playing this game! I hope the shipping will go lightning fast.

Greetz

M.

Thanks for the heads up - that is crazy cheap!

So can someone make a XEX or ATR to play this game on a disk system?

Normally that would be up to the author of the game in my opinion. If Sheddy doesn't want to do it or he doesn't give his blessing to somebody interested in doing it then you're out of luck.

So can someone make a XEX or ATR to play this game on a disk system?

I have a 130xe with 320K would that work?

(Sorry if its been asked, I havent been following, but the game looks GREAT)

I made a tough decision about 7 years ago(!) that to bring about improvements I wanted, I had to move over to a cart only format

http://sheddyshack.co.uk/2003/12/move-to-cartridge-only/

I'm happy for anyone else to give it a shot, but sorry, I don't want to re-develop the game myself - it's not a quick or simple task.

I made a tough decision about 7 years ago(!) that to bring about improvements I wanted, I had to move over to a cart only format

http://sheddyshack.c...cartridge-only/

I'm happy for anyone else to give it a shot, but sorry, I don't want to re-develop the game myself - it's not a quick or simple task.

Almost EIGHT years ago!

Your perseverance on this project is incredible.

Respect!

http://sheddyshack.c...cartridge-only/

Almost EIGHT years ago!

Your perseverance on this project is incredible.

Respect!

Much respect! Not only did he persevere, but the game turned out to be incredibly awesome! Quite often, after so many years devs will sometimes do anything just to get done. Kudos for not doing that. :thumbsup:

Why all the hounding the dev about a disk image, just buy the cart you cheap mofos.

exactly my thoughts.

If I have a real Machine working and some € that's what I'll do.

(And i must get one this year)

I think we have to help/motivate all the guys that are doing something for the Machine.

Buy carts or anything new that are coming with coloured Packages.

A game like SpaceHarrier sure deserves it!

Buy those 8Mbit 5carts for $99,95 it's also good to help the ones that are spending time to build them but to save many, many old games that we can download for free

Edited by José Pereira

Why all the hounding the dev about a disk image, just buy the cart you cheap mofos.

exactly my thoughts.

I dont see how you can spend 10 years developing something, and then release it in a way that limits it to people who happen to own ONE SINGLE piece of aftermarket hardware sold by one single home-brew developer (no offense to ATARIMAX of course, he builds an excellent product, but that's what all developers are these days. Noone has the sales figures to qualify them as a "commercial" manufacturer.)

Seems like a pretty limiting choice, in my oppinion.

I respect Sheddy's decision, no matter what he decides, because it is HIS GAME, and he certainly has the right to do whatever he wants.

But, I don't consider anyone a "cheap mofo" because they dont want to buy a flash cart. Theres alot of things I wouldn't waste my money on, even though I could easily afford them.

And to further the point of those who requested a disk-based version, I'll say this:

The guy has spent 10 years coding this thing. He has the source code.. What is a month or so (if even that long) of aditional work, moving some code around and recompiling to produce a version that would load into extended ram in stages?

Keep this in mind. A "disk based" version is very generic in application. It can be run from SIO2PC, SIO2USB, SDRIVE, SIO2SD, SIO2IDE, MYIDE, SUPRA/KMK/IDEA, MIO, BLACK-BOX, IDE PLUS 2.0, SIDE, or even multiple floppies.

The way the game is coded now it runs from ONE product.. ATARIMAX Flash cart..

You can't win, as a coder, in my opinion. If the game had been released on disk and required 320KB of on-board RAM, we'd have had people complaining that it required a RAM upgrade. Now, for my money, installing a RAM upgrade is a more complex prospect than buying a Flash cart (particularly if you own an XL).

Back in the day, we'd have had to put our hands in our pockets to buy the software. The author isn't even asking for us to do that. All we have to do is buy the hardware, and that's on sale cheaply at the moment.

In addition, who knows how closely tied into the current banking scheme the code actually is? Sure, there's more than one flash cart about (I certainly think SIC! cart support, for example, would be doable), but banking out of $4000-$7FFF is a rather different prospect. The banks are then 16KB, not 8KB, and if the game has been designed in 8KB bank chunks, and all the inter-bank calls rely on the same assumption, then it could take a lot longer than a month to code up a disk version.

At the end of the day, if you want to play Space Harrier, but consider the media it runs on to be a waste of money, I guess the only way forward is to not play the game.

A game (or anything that doesn't rely on the OS or DOS) is certainly a more "flexible" undertaking than, say, a GUI, but nevertheless there were probably extremely good reasons for making Space Harrier run off a cart, and I doubt the decision was taken lightly or in haste.

Like I say - you will never please everyone.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 3

Sheddy taking 10 years to complete the game the way he wants to, with the method of distribution he wants to and it still not being "right" in some peoples eyes is like somebody saying that the Mona Lisa isn't perfect because it needs a picture of a space shuttle in it :roll:.

exactly my thoughts.

I dont see how you can spend 10 years developing something, and then release it in a way that limits it to people who happen to own ONE SINGLE piece of aftermarket hardware sold by one single home-brew developer (no offense to ATARIMAX of course, he builds an excellent product, but that's what all developers are these days. Noone has the sales figures to qualify them as a "commercial" manufacturer.)

Seems like a pretty limiting choice, in my oppinion.

A limiting choice? So is writing it for an 8-Bit Atari when there may be more C64s out there, or writing it for the C64 when everybody has a PC or Mac these days...

You'd think people around here were coding for the fun and satisfaction of it rather than to make money, wouldn't you? Honestly...

Although I'm in the 'let it run on a stock machine' brigade I think the cart was the better idea because although he's used what would be considered an obscene amount of ROM back-in-the-day you can plug the cartridge into a stock machine and play it like any other cart game, which I think makes it more accessible than needing a RAM expansion.

Seeing as these cartridges can be rewritten I think I might be picking one up myself when I can go up north and grab my hardware...

Edited by sack-c0s
  • Like 2

I certainly think SIC! cart support, for example, would be doable)

Space Harrier uses an 8 Mbit (1 MByte) card while the SIC! card is maximum 4 Mbit (512 KB) so that would be a problem.

To make it fully compatible with 80s hardware, a disk version should use SD floppies of 90KByte. So that would make it a 12 disk sides game :D

Robert

To make it fully compatible with 80s hardware, a disk version should use SD floppies of 90KByte. So that would make it a 12 disk sides game :D

Make it 20, put a fancy intro on it ;)

I suppose you would be someone who is happy to run an Atari 8-bit SD floppy version of the laser disk game "Space Ace". :D :P