IGNORED

Is the PS2 dead?

theres still so many games that i wish had come out over here, i'd give my arm for the ps2 earth defense force titles alone.

considering the still massive install base i'm shocked that even the shovelware publishers have abandoned it. the past year or 2 would have been ripe for low-budget japanese oddities.

• Like 1

The PS2 is by far my favorite system of the last 15 years (sorry Jaguar ;)).

I have to agree! If I were forced to get rid of all my systems but could keep only one, it would be PS2.

i also agree. 90% of the games this gen have been easy to skip and i'm not missing anything. i'd rather fire up freedom fighters,rogue trooper or the suffering for the 20th time than play assassins creed or whatever. theres some current stuff i enjoy but i'll take the ps2 any day.

• 1 year later...

This is some sad, corporate-bullshit, but it's all I have to go on. There's NO PS2 retail presence anymore at Walmart, and only a small shelf of used PS2 at Gamestop. I KNOW.....WALMART AND GAMESTOP......F**K BOTH OF THEM. I'm just describing what I've seen. PS2 is dead. I didn't even see the "Catz" "Bratz" kind of thing.

Love the PS2, I do.

TPM-CGYoda.JPG

There's NO PS2 retail presence anymore at Walmart, and only a small shelf of used PS2 at Gamestop.

I guess that it depends on where you are. Around here, most Wal-Mart stores still have a handful of PS 2 games in stock (albeit just sports and music games). I seem to recall having seen a 2012 (or 2013) sports game at Wal-Mart too -- I was very surprised as I did not think they were getting any new stock. Most titles are not yet at clearance prices.

Until the recent closure of most of the stores, Zellers still sold PS 2 games and some Superstores still have a few PS 2 games remaining. I suspect that all of this is old stock that, for whatever reason, has not been marked down for clearance. Zellers was famous for having full-price games for many years after the system was discontinued.

Gamestop has a small bin of battered used sports games without a manual or the original case. Everything has been thoroughly picked over.

Hey all,

You have seen that the PS2 games they gutted and put into those annoying yellow paper CD holders, man i hate those things, are now on sale at GameStop for 5 for $1, that is if you buy the games $.99 and under, which I have found quite a lot of, I've bought about 15 so far. Also anything $4,99 and under is buy two get two free. I know that one manager told me to buy more! He wanted to get them out of the store, so I think the PS2, at least here in the States is about done. Great system though. I didn't like it at first because it was outdoing the DC, my baby!, but it does have a lot of good games so I've come to like my PS2. It would be nice to see someone do a couple of homebrews for it, if Sony will allow it.

Rich

Where I am located presently - Martin, TN - the Walmart (all the Walmarts I'm going to mention here are "supercenters") have ZERO PS2 presence. Not a single system, not a game, not a controller, and not even an empty/unstocked place for any of the systems. Even the Wii is a bastard-child at this store. This is not a well-run store, to be sure, in most other respects.

There's another store about 10 miles to the north (Fulton, Kentucky) - and it's pretty much the same thing as far as the PS2. There are some controllers and a couple "Greatest Hits" tiitles, but no systems. There are a few Wii things, but not many, and only a few Wii titles.

There's another store about 10 miles to the west (Union City, TN) and they have almost nothing PS2, and the Wii selection is reasonably-complete.

The only reason I mention the Wii (in this context) is because it is the next "bitch" system, and imminently susceptible to dumping and clearance, as-is the PS2. Still, one has to respect the amazing holding power of the PS2. I'm not sure if the PS3 and Xbox 360 can match it in such terms of "length at retail," but I think the Wii can not. The rest remains to be seen.

I think the 360 and PS3 have a great shot at lasting an extremely long time because of the ecosystem effect. People have a lot invested in digital purchases which will keep them vested for these platforms. Just like someone that has iOS or Android will be less likely to switch.

Another thing in their favor is the online infrastructure. The gaming experience is more communal than ever. Every time I boot up the Xbox, I see multiple parties I can jump into. And then you have friends go party hopping all the time. It's like being back in college.

I know the party system has served Microsoft well as I see cliques on Xbox by the game en masse even though some of them don't particularly have a strong interest in a given title, they end up buying it to share the experience with their friends.

I think both the PS3 and X360 will outlast the PS2, which has had a great run. If memory serves, the PS3 is about to hit its 6th anniversary which is about how old the PS2 was when the PS3 came out, yet so far the PS4 is just rumor and won't be out for another year at least.

I think this gen will last longer because Sony is bleeding money and can't afford to launch a new console at a loss. Microsoft will probably want to keep the 360 alive until 2014 to make up for all the money they lost on the original X Box and the RRODs in the first few years of the 360.

360's going to be alive longer than that. It's conceivable that a successor won't even release until late 2014 (Even though I think most people are betting on a year from now).

And both platforms are profitable and have large install bases, so I'm sure we can look forwards to two or three years of excellent support after their replacements hit before things start their multi-year dying out process that the PS2 has been going through for a good 3 or 4 years.

Things like Call of Duty 3 the last time around are going to be commonplace this time I suspect.

Now is the time to get PS2 games on the cheap. Goodwill's and Salvation Army's are chock full of good to excellent condition non-sports titles all around my area. My collection has been growing...

You won't find anything like that in our thrifts, but the prices have dropped in a few of the used game stores right around here. If there are PS2 rpgs that one missed the first time around, now seems to be the time to buy.