IGNORED

The Complete 3 Modded Atari 2600!

mtshark7

Modding the console destroying its value...

From $20 to $15 perhaps??? icon_ponder.gif

Truthfully, on eBay, I bet this would be a selling feature, adding value to a large number of potential buyers. I would bet that most nostalgic 30 to 40 somethings would prefer this type of set up. Most folks who decide to get back in to the Atari for a quick stroll down memory lane aren't really looking to purchase an old CRT and hook up an R/F switchbox. It usually just ends up taking too much effort for most people.

Now if it were something like an H6...those are becoming scarce, so I would completely agree. Those consoles are coveted for their condition, as they are no longer a dime a dozen.

Nice work on the modifications Mark. icon_thumbsup.gif

• Like 5

Well done!

I've been working on an LED mod for my H6 (completely reversible, before anyone jumps on me) and I found that the speaker vents only face backward. Apparently, on top of only 6 switchers having speaker vents, they can point in different directions.

One recommendation: even at my monitor's resolution of 1920x1080, I had to scroll around to see your pictures. When you post, you might want to cut them down to something like 1024x768 before posting.

• Like 1

Maiki, what part of "it's NOT your Atari 2600" are you NOT clear on? If someone wants to mod the system so that it can run on a modern TV set without any problems, more power to them for doing that. If you enjoy the purism of playing it on an ancient TV set, then more power to you.

• Like 2

Thanks Guys for the feedback!

I also thought the LEDs through the speaker vents would have a nice ‘glow’ effect…but it’s actually shows a glowing dot instead, lol…I might consider adding a thing of tin foil to create the glow effect and add a pic if it’s successful…any suggestions do tell!

I tell you I had to go through hell and back to get this thing working correctly! I literally thought I was in the twilight zone making this crazy thing, lol

My Responses:

Maiki: Umm in case you haven’t seen it’s a LIGHT 6-switcher. I also own a non-mod light 6-switcher & (soon) heavy 6-switcher (non-mod)...as well as a mint cond. Vader (non-mod) console I got from atari2600.com....so do tell how I'm not a real Atari 2600 gamer? :ponder:

Bennybingo: Thanks buddy for sticking up for me! :thumbsup: You’re the man!

I might be buying some more stuff from you sometime next month…got suckered into spending my $ on ebay this month due to my ebay bucks that EXPIRE!

SlowCoder: How do I change the resolution? I thought they were small since it’s not that much MB? I took them via my thunderbolt so I’m not too sure what the picture resolution is.

Vic George 2K3: Well said! :thumbsup:

Zylon: Thanks….now I gotta figure out how to play ALL of my different Atari 2600 consoles evenly :D

Rex Dart: Agreed! :)

To realise a better glow effect you urgently need brighter LEDs with a high degrees of reflexion area (is it called like this in English?!)!

Check your electronics-part shop for more details ;)

[Edit]

I mean something like this: LED with 10.000 mcd and 30 Degrees

or this: LED with 6500 mcd and 45 Degrees

Sorry, I only got some links to a german shop, but I bet it will be easy for you to find similar shops in the US :D

Edited by Deja-Q

hmm...I guess I could remove the 100 Ohm resistors from them but I dunno how much brighter that would be. That’s why I figured the tin foil idea would work so the light would bounce off the tin foil creating a glow effect that way. The plastic being thick doesn't help either lol. If I get around to it I'll try the tin foil idea and if that doesn't work I'll remove the resistors.

hmm...I guess I could remove the 100 Ohm resistors from them but I dunno how much brighter that would be. That’s why I figured the tin foil idea would work so the light would bounce off the tin foil creating a glow effect that way. The plastic being thick doesn't help either lol. If I get around to it I'll try the tin foil idea and if that doesn't work I'll remove the resistors.

Yikes! NO that's the wrong way! Then you'll destroy the LED for sure.

Remember the Laws of Mr. Ohm? After bright comes dead... you know :lol:

just see my edit of last post ;)

Edited by Deja-Q
  • Like 1

SlowCoder: How do I change the resolution? I thought they were small since it's not that much MB? I took them via my thunderbolt so I'm not too sure what the picture resolution is.

In response to your response to my post (;)), there are numerous freeware/open source image manipulation programs available. GIMP is a great program, capable of very sophisticated image editing (akin to Photoshop), but would be way more than you need. Paint.NET is a good entry level one, probably more in line with what you're looking for. Then there's, dare I say it ... MS Paint ... gag.

• Like 1

yea I posted that before you edited your post...yea I'm not gotta remove the resistors...especially all the BS I went thourgh modding this thing...thanks for the links...I'll check around to see if they sell any LEDs in your post.

I think these are the LEDS I bought:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062551

Thanks for your help :)

I'll let you know how I make out

To realise a better glow effect you urgently need brighter LEDs with a high degrees of reflexion area (is it called like this in English?!)!

Check your electronics-part shop for more details ;)

[Edit]

I mean something like this: LED with 10.000 mcd and 30 Degrees

or this: LED with 6500 mcd and 45 Degrees

Sorry, I only good some links to a german shop, but I bet it's easy for you to find similar shops in the US :D

Hmm I guess I could always BT (Bit Torrent) a copy of the latest Photoshop again since my latest copy is CS2 :ponder:

Thanks for the tips :)

SlowCoder: How do I change the resolution? I thought they were small since it's not that much MB? I took them via my thunderbolt so I'm not too sure what the picture resolution is.

In response to your response to my post (;)), there are numerous freeware/open source image manipulation programs available. GIMP is a great program, capable of very sophisticated image editing (akin to Photoshop), but would be way more than you need. Paint.NET is a good entry level one, probably more in line with what you're looking for. Then there's, dare I say it ... MS Paint ... gag.

No pal. That looks like a "normal" LED with only 20 mcd.

You need a much more brighter version of more than 300x this brightness ;)

Radioshack doesn't seems to have this kind of electronic parts :sad: :(

Maybe this link helps? LEDsuperBright.com

Edited by Deja-Q
  • Like 1

I think these are the LEDS I bought:

http://www.radioshac...oductId=2062551

No pal. That looks like a "normal" LED with only 20 mcd.

You need a much more brighter version of more than 300x this brightness ;)

Radioshack doesn't seems to have this kind of electronic parts :sad: :(

Maybe this link helps? LEDsuperBright.com

Yep, that'd about do it. :) Your whole Atari would be visible from the moon. Refraction angle will also be important.

Yep, to the moon and back, my friend :lol:

BTW I used the 6500 mcd LEDs some years ago as replacement for the car interrior light.

After modifying I just thought they could really been brighter :ponder:

So, don't be too cheap with the amount of light. You can always dimm then by a bigger resistor.

But you cannot brighten them up if you only got those "dim lamps" ;)

Deja-Q: Thats a great site! It suck's the LEDs are a lil pricey. (EDIT: Just realized the number to the left was quantity, lol) I would definitely have to wear sunglasses while playing ;)

SlowCoder: LOL Good point! :)

zylon: Moon patrol is one of my favorite 2600 games! :)

If I did buy those LEDS from LEDsuperbright.com would I have to increase the resistor value? Or would 100 Ohm do the trick?

Edited by Mark T

Deja-Q: Thats a great site! It suck's the LEDs are a lil pricey. I would definitely have to wear sunglasses while playing ;)

If I did buy those LEDS from LEDsuperbright.com would I have to increase the resistor value? Or would 100 Ohm do the trick?

The price looks terrible but take a look at the packaging unit! They sell them in 100 pcs each pack.

So you gotta check if there's a way to get just 1-2 from them or another shop.

The value of the resistor depends on the Volts you have there.

As Mr. Ohm said:

Resitor = Volts / Ampere (This value you can evaluate from the technical specs of the LED.

For example you got 5V and the max current of the LED is 24 mA you need a resistor of 208 Ohms (if it's not available, take next higher value) ;)