IGNORED

Opinion of iPad for gaming

I am curious what folks here think of the iPad as a gaming machine. I have used an iPhone for a long time, and while it is very convienient to browse the internet with, generally the games suck (with a few exceptions). However, I am wondering if the experience is enhanced on the iPad. I know that there are joystick paripheralls that make contact with the screen. Do these actually work? I am also wondering if the overall gaming experience is better with the big screen in your lap. For example, would an overhead game like GTA: Chinatown Wars be better with a section of the city sitting in your lap, so to speak? I would like to here from those who have exensively used the iPad for gaming. Thanks!

Edited by toptenmaterial

The games that are designed for the iPad work very well. I've spent a good amount of time with N.O.V.A. 1/2, Dungeon Hunter 1/2, Infinity Blade, Angry Birds, and most of the EA board games (Yahtzee, Scrabble, Monopoly, Risk, etc) and all of them are top notch. Both Asphalt 6 and NFS Hot Pursuit are worth playing as well, though not as highly regarded as the first list above. I haven't played much Catan or Carcassonne, but I would suspect they are both good. There have been other games I've enjoyed, but I don't have my pad in front of me at the moment.

I don't have an iPad, but i've had a few chances to play some games on it.

Personally, I found it to be more fun than playing on an iPhone. Having a bigger screen really adds something. However, it depends on the game.

I'll put it blunt and simple: If you see a game and think "Oh my, that'd be really fun to play on a big screen", then it probably is. If you see a game and think "Oh my, that'd suck on an iPad", then it probably does.

There's probably other people on the forums that have more experience with iPad gaming than I do, but that was my 2 cents.

I've spent some time using it and my general feeling is that if a game isn't designed specifically for the iPad to take advantage of the touch/swipe/tilt controls then it blows.

What this means is that if you see ports of your favorite classic games and think "hey, I'd love to have these classics with me on the go" you'd better have realistic expectations on how fun those games will actually be with controls that simply aren't suitable for the application. I've spent a few hours playing Q*Bert, Frogger, Mappy, and Pac-Man on flights and such, and while it's more entertaining than reading the vomit bag, I was still dying left and right simply because the controls weren't doing what I wanted (which is terribly maddening). No matter how dumb of a concept it is to play Pac-Man with a touch-screen d-pad or with swipes of your finger, there will be those who will try to tell you "you just need to get used to it" but my personal take on the matter is, touch controls absolutely suck for games designed to be played with joysticks--period.

• Like 3

I've spent some time using it and my general feeling is that if a game isn't designed specifically for the iPad to take advantage of the touch/swipe/tilt controls then it blows.

What this means is that if you see ports of your favorite classic games and think "hey, I'd love to have these classics with me on the go" you'd better have realistic expectations on how fun those games will actually be with controls that simply aren't suitable for the application. I've spent a few hours playing Q*Bert, Frogger, Mappy, and Pac-Man on flights and such, and while it's more entertaining than reading the vomit bag, I was still dying left and right simply because the controls weren't doing what I wanted (which is terribly maddening). No matter how dumb of a concept it is to play Pac-Man with a touch-screen d-pad or with swipes of your finger, there will be those who will try to tell you "you just need to get used to it" but my personal take on the matter is, touch controls absolutely suck for games designed to be played with joysticks--period.

I couldn't have put it better. Anyone who can get used to touch controls are truly gifted human beings (in a good way).

There have been a few games that were designed for "hard" controls that have been adapted that work well. The Cave releases of Espgaluda and Mushihimesame are great to play and I've read that the most recent release (Death Smiles) is even better, though I haven't had a chance to try it yet. They did some work in changing the games a bit to make them more accessible though, so tough to say if they count for this discussion as they aren't direct ports, just very close.

But I do agree, until I picked up an iCade the Atari pack was nearly unplayable. With the iCade, it's bliss!

Shameless Plug// You could always check out my newest game Pinball XL, which I dessigned specifically for iPad. //Shameless Plug

I also agree that games not design for the touchscreen / tilt control tend to disastrous. Just try and play Tempest, for example.

The iPad is a great platform for gaming, particularly the iPad 2. Portable, big screen, light, excellent audio-visuals, etc. As was mentioned, if a game is suited to touchscreen controls it works very well, even games you might not think, like Galaga 30th or Reckless Racing HD (a top down, classic style racing game). While I would not recommend it solely for playing games, the fact that it's a superb e-reader, good web browser, excellent multimedia player, has a metric ton of apps, etc., I can unequivocally recommend owning one. Hell, I've even found that I can touch type easily on the screen (when turned), which, combined with its other features, makes it a great workplace notetaker.

I don't have any other the control add-ons, like the fling, but I do have the iCade. I'm not entirely sold on the need for that, but it's just one of many examples that gaming is to be taken seriously on the thing, and of course it's extremely well supported.

Even though I use/own other tablets, the competition still have a way to go in most regards...

Games designed for the iPad, I really enjoy. Games like Infinity Blade, Death Rally, SuperLaser, Let's Golf 2, Space Miner HD and so many more. Plus they usually cost only $1~$5 ...or they are free, like last weekend on the 4th of July!

Every couple months I like to post a video about what iOS games are worth people's time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IYbL_JKhIQ

• Like 1

The iPad really is a great emulation platform provided you jailbreak it. Right now I have MAME, NES, SNES, N64, GBA/GBC, and Genesis emulators all setup along with great versions of the Scumm emulator and DOSBox with thousands of games ready to play. Most of the emulators also support Wiimotes and the Wii Classic controller through bluetooth. Have to jailbreak that thing :)

I bought Shining Force on the Ipad thinking it was a new version developed for the Ipad/Itouch.. but was dissapointed when I realized it was just an emulated version of the Genesis game with the old virtual d-pad controls. Boo. At least it was only 99 cents.

But that being said, I love gaming on the Ipad.. as said before if it's a game designed for it, then it works really well. You really have to go into these things with no bias. In a single day I can play my 3DS for hours, and still have good time on the Ipad when I can get a hold of it from my 2 year old. :P