IGNORED

Advice needed on complete 7800 sealed game collection

Buyatari

Advice from anyone who sold a complete collection before would be appreciated. I'm not sure how to list this or or to ship it.

Not every game is mint and some could use an upgrade. Every game is sealed but one as Title Match Pro Wrestling is complete.

So how do you list such a collection without being able to prove one way or another if the carts are PAL or NTSC without opening them up? Obviously the Sentinel is PAL so it is best not to include that one at all? How about pictures. Do I need individual pictures of every game? Perhaps just pictures of Title Match and Tank Command as I think they are the only individual titles worth 100+?

MVC-016S.jpg

MVC-004S.jpg

MVC-006S.jpg

MVC-007S.jpg

MVC-012S.jpg

MVC-014S.jpg

MVC-015S.jpg

• Like 1

For now I am not breaking it up.

In this particular situation I could see a set getting more then the sum of the parts because there are so many Osheas games in the set and the set is not that large where it would be an impossible task to buy it all in one shot.

I'd like to walk away with 2k after all the fees are paid.

For now I am not breaking it up.

In this particular situation I could see a set getting more then the sum of the parts because there are so many Osheas games in the set and the set is not that large where it would be an impossible task to buy it all in one shot.

I'd like to walk away with 2k after all the fees are paid.

While you might get more than the sum of its parts keeping it together, I think you will be very hard pressed to get anywhere close to $2K after fees, especially given there are no price tags or other chain of custody to prove they are NTSC. When Telegames sold their stock to Classic Game Source, they literally flooded the market with rarer 7800 games. Unfortunately, many were PAL and supposedly even Classic Game Source wasn't aware of that initially. As such, there is still a lot of confusion as to what format is out there in any given sealed collection if it's from more recent sales.

Here's how I would value everything:

For the 10 third party games, you have two worth roughly $100 each and the other 8 worth maybe $25-$30 each. That's roughly $500.

Mario Bros., Commando, Mat Mania, Food Fight, Ninja Golf, and Midnight Mutants are less common and go for roughly $25-$50 each mint sealed. That's roughly another $250 or so.

Then, you have the rarities like Alien Brigade ($60), Basketbrawl ($40), Fatal Run ($40), Ikari ($80), Impossible Mission ($80) , Mean 18 ($50), Motor Psycho ($40), Xenophobe ($40) and Planet Smashers ($40). Allowing for some additional value since they aren't always available (although 2600.com does have many in stock in minty shape right now or had them very recently and usually gets them in on a regular basis), that's another $500.

That leaves 33 O'Shea's or fairly common titles at $5-$10 each. That's another $250 or so, although again, that's assuming the games are minty with no crushing, etc...There have been several sellers dumping titles like Fight Night and Super Huey for a few bucks each and in entire cases for roughly $2 a game recently, so the value has fallen even below O'Sheas levels for some titles.

I don't know how to value the test carts as they look like Best reproductions, but I suppose they could also be legit.

I think best case scenario, you could get $1500 before fees if you found the right buyer, but given the rough shape of some of the rarer titles and the lack of certainty as to their format, I think you're likely to get substantially less.

For the 10 third party games, you have two worth roughly $100 each and the other 8 worth maybe $25-$30 each. That's roughly $500.

I think you are way off here. Title Match is crazy hard to find with the box.

A few years ago maybe, but I have seen three in the past six months on Ebay, two of which were mint sealed. This one is open and I'm not sure what shape the box is in. Even if it's worth $150, that would still be well within the $500 I allotted.

A few years ago maybe, but I have seen three in the past six months on Ebay, two of which were mint sealed. This one is open and I'm not sure what shape the box is in. Even if it's worth $150, that would still be well within the $500 I allotted.

I have no idea how I missed every one of those. I am not saying it is Lochjaw or something, but it is definitely really hard to get. 3 of them doesn't change that. A year can go by where none will show up. Boxed 2600 games like Crazy Climber, Swordquest Waterworld, Quadrun and many other high dollar 2600 games all show up much more frequently than a boxed Title Match. Titlematch doesn't go for that kind of money because it isn't a 2600 game, but it is still really rare.

I have no idea how I missed every one of those. I am not saying it is Lochjaw or something, but it is definitely really hard to get. 3 of them doesn't change that. A year can go by where none will show up. Boxed 2600 games like Crazy Climber, Swordquest Waterworld, Quadrun and many other high dollar 2600 games all show up much more frequently than a boxed Title Match. Titlematch doesn't go for that kind of money because it isn't a 2600 game, but it is still really rare.

Don't mind bojay. Most of the times I see him post in the marketplace, he's crapping on people's prices.

I paid around $500 for pretty much the same collection a few years ago but this one is in better shape.

You paid $500 for a complete sealed 7800 collection? Where, a garage sale :D Just messing with you man, but seriously, this is worth well over $500 IMO

The completely sealed is the better shape part. Most were sealed but not all. I was saying it is worth more than $500.

Don't mind bojay. Most of the times I see him post in the marketplace, he's crapping on people's prices.

Actually, when someone posts that they would like an accurate opinion of the current market, I provide it. I spend tons of time looking at Ebay auctions and visiting on-line retailers, often without buying much of anything anymore. I just like to keep current on the market. There are always times when you can get a lot more or a lot less for something depending on a variety of factors. For example, I know a flipper who bought a Mega Man 9 press kit and sold it for significantly more than several other identical copies that sold the same week on Ebay after refusing to negotiate a reasonable price with several people here on the board over a period of many months of trying to sell it. That doesn't mean that the "value" of that particular item was what he ended up getting, just that someone paid that at one given point in time for whatever reason. Having said all that, if someone has specific data to dispute my estimates of this particular collection's value, please feel free to provide specific numbers and the basis for those rather than attacking me or posting non-specific claims about a particular game being "rare" and allegedly never showing up on Ebay.

I would leave the Sentinel PAL out and sell this as a "complete" NTSC set. There are some crazy rare PAL only items which you would need for a "true" complete set (e.g. HES clamshell releases), and you would get a better price if you sell it as a complete official NTSC release set. You can offer the Sentinel for free to the successful winner or something like that

Actually, when someone posts that they would like an accurate opinion of the current market, I provide it. I spend tons of time looking at Ebay auctions and visiting on-line retailers, often without buying much of anything anymore. I just like to keep current on the market. There are always times when you can get a lot more or a lot less for something depending on a variety of factors. For example, I know a flipper who bought a Mega Man 9 press kit and sold it for significantly more than several other identical copies that sold the same week on Ebay after refusing to negotiate a reasonable price with several people here on the board over a period of many months of trying to sell it. That doesn't mean that the "value" of that particular item was what he ended up getting, just that someone paid that at one given point in time for whatever reason. Having said all that, if someone has specific data to dispute my estimates of this particular collection's value, please feel free to provide specific numbers and the basis for those rather than attacking me or posting non-specific claims about a particular game being "rare" and allegedly never showing up on Ebay.

I don't mind price opinions but really if you read my post the advice that I looking for was on how best to present it and how to ship it. I'm worried about the PAL/NTSC aspect. How do you word that without sounding like you are trying to hide something and cover your ass at the same time. I also wonder what to take pictures of without too many or too little as collectors are a bit more picky than they used to be. Finally any advice on the cheapest safest way to ship a large collection like this.

As for prices I agree with some you have stated but others not so much so. Plus I'm not looking to price the complete set lower than the accumulated price of the absoulte lowest price each game could be found for in 1-3 years time searching every day online. For someone spending lots of time online a set like this is a walk in a park to aquire but not everyone has the same time or patience level. So I am hoping that it will be attractive to someone who wouldn't mind knocking it off in one shot at a price that is affordable, but not outragous and well worth it to someone with a bit more money than time to track down a sealed Tank Command etc.

I forget what I paid but I bought this collection when Mitch sold it back in 2001-2002 or so on eBay. I don't think the test carts are Best carts. The high scrore cart is the first version which I never got around to sending in for the upgrade. The other two I know little about except that when I won the auction I had multiple requests to sell them seperate and one of them came with that huge stack of papers you see in the pictures.

I don't mind price opinions but really if you read my post the advice that I looking for was on how best to present it and how to ship it. I'm worried about the PAL/NTSC aspect. How do you word that without sounding like you are trying to hide something and cover your ass at the same time.

You'd have to state that its a "complete set of NTSC North Americal official releases". You could state that'd you've thrown in a PAL Sentinel to complete the set of released ROMS, as I don't believe there are any official released PAL games that were originals other than Sentinel? Someone could confirm this. Actually, the 7800 32-1 PAL cart is actually Atari 2600 games, so you technically should provide that to have a complete set of roms (albeit they are not all A7800 if you know what I mean).

So maybe for simplicity sake and so you dont have arguments, leave out the Sentinel and sell as a complete set of official NTSC Nth American releases.

I don't mind price opinions but really if you read my post the advice that I looking for was on how best to present it and how to ship it. I'm worried about the PAL/NTSC aspect. How do you word that without sounding like you are trying to hide something and cover your ass at the same time.

You'd have to state that its a "complete set of NTSC North Americal official releases". You could state that'd you've thrown in a PAL Sentinel to complete the set of released ROMS, as I don't believe there are any official released PAL games that were originals other than Sentinel? Someone could confirm this. Actually, the 7800 32-1 PAL cart is actually Atari 2600 games, so you technically should provide that to have a complete set of roms (albeit they are not all A7800 if you know what I mean).

So maybe for simplicity sake and so you dont have arguments, leave out the Sentinel and sell as a complete set of official NTSC Nth American releases.

He appears to be more worried about the fact that there is no good way to prove all of the Atari titles are actually NTSC without opening them up.

Oh, so we need to provide specifics to dispute your assessment? I guess you are the gold standard. That is funny because you didn't provide a single example. Your only argument on Title Match was a (very suspect) claim that 3 of them have showed up on Ebay in the last 6 months.

Oh, so we need to provide specifics to dispute your assessment? I guess you are the gold standard. That is funny because you didn't provide a single example. Your only argument on Title Match was a (very suspect) claim that 3 of them have showed up on Ebay in the last 6 months.

You don't have to do anything. I'm stating what I know to be the facts and if you don't believe them or agree with them, that's fine too. It doesn't change the fact that you have provided no helpful or relevant information in this thread either way. You claimed I was "way off". Ok, if that's the truth, then what in your opinion is a boxed not sealed copy of the game worth in the context of an otherwise sealed collection? Just doing a basic Google search, I found a minty but not sealed PAL copy sold recently on Ebay Australia for $23 AUD. It looks like one complete copy was sold by Atarimania a few years ago for $300 and a sealed copy for slightly more. StLouisRams also had a sealed copy listed for $400 on Ebay for a long while and ended up selling it for significantly less at auction. That was, however, several years ago and as I said, a number of copies have been popping up recently, although they could be PAL for all I know.

Personally, as a sealed collector myself, a collection like this would be worth less to me all together simply because I would be buying it knowing that this game is not sealed and that a significant number of the other games are not in mint condition. I would also probably avoid the whole thing because there is no proof it's NTSC as opposed to PAL or expect a significantly lower price considering that I would just be grabbing a few titles, knowing that I would have to replace at least a third of the games to have a really nice minty set. If this was gem mint with confirmed NTSC copies, this set would easily go for $2K or more. As it stands, I can't see anyone paying anywhere near $2K, but I am happy to be proven wrong and maybe there are sealed collectors who have different standards or ways of valuing collections.

Girls, girls, your both pretty.

I kid, but really its just not this big of a deal. If you really want to know what an item is worth in the current market list it for $.99 and let it ride. If there is enough interest to drive the price then you will know what its really worth right now.

We all know eBay pricing has gone to shit anyway so why do we keep talking about it? I know we have to have some way to figure out the value of these items but no one looks at completed listings anymore and that is where the real answers are. More often the not the answer you will get is that the item wont sell for $x.xx or more as there are many more unsold "auctions" then sold for every item I have ever looked for. I swear BIN is the worst thing that even happened to eBay and everything people sell on eBay.

• Like 1

You don't have to do anything. I'm stating what I know to be the facts and if you don't believe them or agree with them, that's fine too. It doesn't change the fact that you have provided no helpful or relevant information in this thread either way. You claimed I was "way off". Ok, if that's the truth, then what in your opinion is a boxed not sealed copy of the game worth in the context of an otherwise sealed collection? Just doing a basic Google search, I found a minty but not sealed PAL copy sold recently on Ebay Australia for $23 AUD. It looks like one complete copy was sold by Atarimania a few years ago for $300 and a sealed copy for slightly more. StLouisRams also had a sealed copy listed for $400 on Ebay for a long while and ended up selling it for significantly less at auction. That was, however, several years ago and as I said, a number of copies have been popping up recently, although they could be PAL for all I know.

Personally, as a sealed collector myself, a collection like this would be worth less to me all together simply because I would be buying it knowing that this game is not sealed and that a significant number of the other games are not in mint condition. I would also probably avoid the whole thing because there is no proof it's NTSC as opposed to PAL or expect a significantly lower price considering that I would just be grabbing a few titles, knowing that I would have to replace at least a third of the games to have a really nice minty set. If this was gem mint with confirmed NTSC copies, this set would easily go for $2K or more. As it stands, I can't see anyone paying anywhere near $2K, but I am happy to be proven wrong and maybe there are sealed collectors who have different standards or ways of valuing collections.

My information was just as relevant and helpful as yours since both of our opinions were based purely on personal observation over the years. Looking at this reply though leads me to believe that my reply was more helpful since you aren't even sure whether the 3 you saw were PAL or NTSC which is a HUGE factor.

I don't doubt that a few PAL copies might have popped up recently since it isn't too rare at all from what I have seen. NTSC is a whole different story though. I could definitely see a nice boxed copy selling to someone who needed it for $200 or more.

Anyhow, I am out of this conversation now. Final statement... Title Match is really tough to find boxed. It is worth a fair amount of money itself. This is a nice set. Make good offers. Good luck on the sale Buyatari.

I forget what I paid but I bought this collection when Mitch sold it back in 2001-2002 or so on eBay. I don't think the test carts are Best carts. The high scrore cart is the first version which I never got around to sending in for the upgrade. The other two I know little about except that when I won the auction I had multiple requests to sell them seperate and one of them came with that huge stack of papers you see in the pictures.

Actually, it wasn't me you bought it from. Though I seem to vaguely remember the auction I can't remember who the seller was.

The three other carts you have are the diag cart, high score cart and monitor cart. Curt made the high score cart but it was sold by a couple of different Atari dealers. The monitor cart is sold by Video 61 and is still available. The diag cart has been sold by several different vendors over the years though Best is probably the only one still selling it.

Mitch