IGNORED

TurboGrafx 16

I got mine today. Paid 45 dollars....console....controllers....and 4 common games. Not sure if that's about right or if I overpaid, but am enjoying the system so far

That's about right on price. (actually a really good deal if you got 2 controllers and games) Enjoy!!!

I've been readin' about the TurboGrafx, and it seems like a nifty system. If I were to purchase one, how much would it cost me? Core system/system with games, etc.

I strongly suggest you get an emulator and try out some games first to see how much like them.

If you're digging what you try out, then try and go for the actual system. Try Ootake. http://www.ouma.jp/ootake/

If you are serious about getting into the Turbo, your best bet is to get a region-modded PC Engine Duo R or RX. The US TG-16 library is very limited and is getting very expensive. The PC Engine version of most TurboGrafx games are MUCH cheaper. My Duo-R has a region switch which allows me to play HuCards from both the US and Japan, plus has a built-in System Card 3.0, and as with all Duos will play CD-ROMs from both regions. Conservatively, if you wanted to get a US TurboGrafx system and have it play all of those games, here's what it would cost you (estimated):

TurboGrafx-16: $50

Turbo CD with dock: $120

System Card 3.0: $100

Import Converter: $75

Or,

US TurboDuo: $200 (but this will most likely need to have all of it's capacitors replaced)

Import converter: $75

Additionally, the Duo-R has more reliable hardware than a US Duo or a US Turbo CD drive.

I paid $200 plus shipping for my modded Duo-R. There's a guy over in Japan who sells on eBay under the name "doujindance", and he has them up for sale regularly. They are also RGB-modded (which may not matter to you, but you can always buy an RGB-Component converter and play it on your HDTV), and come with a brand new laser assembly installed. He generally includes 2 controllers, as well.

I'm just saying, I know a Turbografx or Turboduo looks more impressive on the shelf because they're somewhat hard to find, but a PCE Duo is the much better choice if you just want to play Turbo games.

Chris

• Like 1

If you are serious about getting into the Turbo, your best bet is to get a region-modded PC Engine Duo R or RX. The US TG-16 library is very limited and is getting very expensive. The PC Engine version of most TurboGrafx games are MUCH cheaper. My Duo-R has a region switch which allows me to play HuCards from both the US and Japan, plus has a built-in System Card 3.0, and as with all Duos will play CD-ROMs from both regions. Conservatively, if you wanted to get a US TurboGrafx system and have it play all of those games, here's what it would cost you (estimated):

TurboGrafx-16: $50

Turbo CD with dock: $120

System Card 3.0: $100

Import Converter: $75

Or,

US TurboDuo: $200 (but this will most likely need to have all of it's capacitors replaced)

Import converter: $75

Additionally, the Duo-R has more reliable hardware than a US Duo or a US Turbo CD drive.

I paid $200 plus shipping for my modded Duo-R. There's a guy over in Japan who sells on eBay under the name "doujindance", and he has them up for sale regularly. They are also RGB-modded (which may not matter to you, but you can always buy an RGB-Component converter and play it on your HDTV), and come with a brand new laser assembly installed. He generally includes 2 controllers, as well.

I'm just saying, I know a Turbografx or Turboduo looks more impressive on the shelf because they're somewhat hard to find, but a PCE Duo is the much better choice if you just want to play Turbo games.

Chris

Wow. Thats quite a bit more expensive than I'd've thought. Thats way outta my price range...:ponder:

Every now and then I see this system card 3.0 mentioned. What is that?

I picked my TG16 with Tubro Booster Plus and 1 controller, Blazing Lazer, The Legendary Ax, Alein Crush, Keith Curage in Alpha Zone, and one other shooter I can't rember right now, for $100 or so in a local classic gaming store. I thought that was pretty good.

Think of it as a 32X for the TG-16.

Except that you need a System card 3.0 to play most of the good CD games on the Turbo. The 32X was worthless.

Take a look at this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Turbo_CD_games

Under "Formats", any game that says "SuperCD" needs the system 3.0 card.

TurboDuo consoles (American and Japanese) all have the 3.0 card built-in.

OP: You can buy a TurboGrafx system pretty cheaply, but this is why. Anyone who really wants to get in to Turbo gaming needs to be able to play at least either PCE games or SuperCD games. With just a bare US TG-16, the library is pretty limited and pretty pricey. I should mention though that there is a flash card for the TG-16, and that will allow you to play both TG16 and PCE games.

Chris

So from what Im reading here and from other websites, if you have the basic TurboGrafx system and wanted to play the Japanese HuCards, I would need the import convertor. Is that correct?

Either that or have someone region-mod your system.

Chris

Think of it as a 32X for the TG-16.

The 32X added two more high-speed CPUs with local sdram, a dual framebuffer capable of 256 color paletted or 15 bit direct color modes, and PWM stereo audio. The System Card is just a ram card... think of it like the Saturn RAM cart (or Action Replay cart minus the cheat/region handling).

• Like 3

So from what Im reading here and from other websites, if you have the basic TurboGrafx system and wanted to play the Japanese HuCards, I would need the import convertor. Is that correct?

Either that or have someone region-mod your system.

Chris

This is what I would recommend. I had my Turbo region modded within the last year, and I'm very happy with it. I have a push-button switch that lets me choose between U.S. or Japan. Because I have the region mod, I'm also able to use the Arcade Card Pro, which allows me to play any of the Turbo or PC-Engine CDs on my system. I think the cost of having the mod done and then buying the Arcade Card Pro (which can be found much cheaper than a U.S. Super System 3 card) was in the $100-$110 price range.

• 1 year later...