IGNORED

Active clubs and magazines

TXG/MNX

I've been in contact with two:

1) SPACE -- Minneapolis / St. Paul;

2) SCAT -- suburban Chicago.

SPACE does have a newsletter, which is published periodically; SCAT plans to reissue theirs. I believe that a membership to SPACE costs approximately $20 USD; a membership to SCAT is $10. Both groups accept international members.

In addition, I believe that there is an active Atari group in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada; the Toronto Atari Federation is, well, on life-support.

David

I've been in contact with two:

1) SPACE -- Minneapolis / St. Paul;

2) SCAT -- suburban Chicago.

SPACE does have a newsletter, which is published periodically; SCAT plans to reissue theirs. I believe that a membership to SPACE costs approximately $20 USD; a membership to SCAT is $10. Both groups accept international members.

In addition, I believe that there is an active Atari group in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada; the Toronto Atari Federation is, well, on life-support.  

David

Hmm interesting are there some more outthere?

I don't believe that the club in Victoria is still active. I live there/here and I haven't been able to track them down. The information on the freenet website is very old. The BBS is down and the library were it is said they meet doesn't even remember who they are/were.

If anyone knows if they exist anymore, let me know! I used to be a member about 10-12 years ago.

• 6 months later...

Reviving this thread with recent news of more existing users' groups:

1. ACEC (Atari Computer Enthusiasts of Columbus) is alive and well -- and members meet twice a month!

contact colonel71@excite.com for further details.

2. There's a users' group in Northern Indiana that's still active. Does anyone have any more information about this?

3. And, since I neglected to mention this last time, let's not forget about Dan Iacovelli's Atari Video Club, which recently hosted the Video Game Summit in Lombard, Illinois.

It's interesting to note that almost all of the existing North American groups are located in or around the Great Lakes. Hmm...

Reviving this thread with recent news of more existing users' groups:

1. ACEC (Atari Computer Enthusiasts of Columbus) is alive and well -- and members meet twice a month!

contact colonel71@excite.com for further details.

2. There's a users' group in Northern Indiana that's still active. Does anyone have any more information about this?...

You mean IMAGE(Indiana Michigan Atari Group Exchange) they are still

Active contact Stephen Elek Jr.(Selekjr@alumni.nd.edu) they do have meetinmg every month

3. And, since I neglected to mention this last time, let's not forget about Dan Iacovelli's Atari Video Club, which recently hosted the Video Game Summit in Lombard, Illinois....

Technically we are not computer user group but computer owners

are welcome to join(The above mentioned group (IMAGE) is also a member of the group via newsletter exchange)

(local meetings are not being set up yet but I expect that it will be started some time next year)

It's interesting to note that almost all of the existing North American groups are located in or around the Great Lakes. Hmm...

thats true

Dan Iacovelli

As an aside, I was at the last Atari meeting in Victoria. The club still exists as there are a few hardcore Atari fans who are keeping it alive. They tend to talk about all sorts of things, and their PCs alot, but I made them talk a little about Atari last time. ;)

I've going to bring my 1200XL in to the next meeting since one of the guys there said he has never seen one. They mentioned they had the whole Bellcom PD library which I wouldn't mind getting a hold of, as well as whatever else they might have squirelled away.

Anyway, Atari lives on in a few places!

Hi,

Are there still some active clubs for the Atari 8-bit and (disk-)magazines?

The only one I know is ABBUC  http://www.abbuc.de

I am a member but I like to hear about other clubs/magz..

How about... MyAtari?! As for clubs, there is the excellent Cheshunt Computer Club. I went last week, watch out for the report.

Speaking as an ex-SPACE member, don't expect much Atari-related info. Meetings often consisted of club bylaws discussion & talking about who was bringing what to the next potluck. AFAIK they still offer monthy DOMs, & they have an online newsletter that gets updated occasionally.

I know well (from my experience with TAF in the late '80s and early '90s) that users' groups can be fractious and cliquish, but they really do need (all of them, with the possible exception of ABBUC) all the help they can get right now. I understand that Michael Current will be stepping down as head of SPACE in September, and they're looking to elect a new President -- who will be able to bring in new ideas and shape the club as he/she wants. I'd volunteer, but there's that little problem of that 3000 mi round-trip commute...

How 'bout running for President, RJ? :)

With this topic in mind, I am in the process of re-activating MilAtari.  I've managed to track down what was left of the original group and am securing 20 some odd year stock of newsletters, software, and computers.

Marty,

AVC used to exchange newsletters with MILAtari back in the late 80's

if you do restart it let me know I'll be gald to exchange newsletters with Milatari agian.

Dan Iacovelli

@davidcalgary: I said "EX-member"! :D Actually, meetings were on Fri nights which cut into my social life, so I quit.

Michael was a good president & is a good guy, but he's the one who concentrated on bylaws & we barely discussed Atari at all!

My guess is the new prez will be Greg Leitner- a longtime member in good standing who has taken on nearly every officer position thus far & my original contact for joining up in the first place!

Again, it was fun, but they lack much when it comes to talking Atari...

I've discussed restarting the Austin Atari Computer Enthusiasts group several times with a couple of the (former) members. What's odd is that AACE never really officially ended, as the two other members (Rick D. and Dave M.) still meet up on a monthly basis. I know of at least a couple of other people here in Austin who would be up for it reforming, so I say let's do it! I'm going to start looking into finding a good meeting space for "official" meetings. While I was in AACE, meetings were never very formal at all, so there was very little discussion of bylaws and such and plenty of discussion on all things Atari. It would be great to really get it going again!