IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 4 Round 11 (Special Round)

zylon

I hit the 60 point saucer quite a few times so it does exist. ;)

When the invaders are blue, point value is lowest. If you can time it so waves start out green, you're golden. :cool:

Oh, it exists. It's just that you don't actually get any points added to your score for hitting it (unless there's a bug-fixed version floating around out there.) When you get a chance, give it a try and check if you actually are getting those 60 points added to your score.

When the invaders are blue, point value is lowest. If you can time it so waves start out green, you're golden. :cool:

Oh, it exists. It's just that you don't actually get any points added to your score for hitting it (unless there's a bug-fixed version floating around out there.) When you get a chance, give it a try and check if you actually are getting those 60 points added to your score.

I wonder what I was getting then? :? I don't often have the time to scan and do the mental math.

I wonder what I was getting then? :? I don't often have the time to scan and do the mental math.

I don't think you get anything. Here's another post that mentions the issue. I doubt I would have noticed it myself, except that I saw it mentioned on the Space Invaders Arcade thread that I pointed to earlier. It's only reasonable to assume you're actually getting the 60 points that are displayed, but it doesn't seem to actually be the case.

Edited by sdamon

I wasn't planning on posting these "bonus point" scores, as I didn't want to be pumping up the numbers, but it looks like I'd better go ahead:

Invaders bonus: 1184

Galaxian bonus: 6730

Total: 7914

Good thing you did; you needed them. If you'd lost your 2 bonus rp, it would've cost the whole round. :thumbsup:

I engineered total all-out competition from start to nail-biting finish. :D :cool:

FYI: Original issue carts only were used by myself on real system. I might look into that hacked version though. :ponder:

Edited by zylon

Good thing you did; you needed them. If you'd lost your 2 bonus rp, it would've cost the whole round. :thumbsup:

I saw that! Was glad I kept those photos on my phone "just in case!"

I engineered total all-out competition from start to nail-biting finish. :D :cool:

Well done there! I really had to struggle to get that extra rank in Galaxian to tie it up Sunday night.

FYI: Original issue carts only were used by myself on real system. I might look into that hacked version though. :ponder:

Rest assured that I only used the original issue Invaders cart here as well. I'm not sure if a hacked version exists that only includes the 60 point bug fix, but I wouldn't be opposed to using one in future competition if everyone agreed to it. (I would suggest that if someone were to create such a hack, there should be a visual difference to distinguish it from the unhacked version... such as a different color score border, perhaps.)

Also, I would have mentioned the bug earlier if I had any idea that going for the 60 point saucers was part of your strategy. I just thought that the 60 point saucers were random.

I can only count and time shots on first 3 waves of each invasion, rest of the time I get what I can. :) I have good reason to believe I can pass that 41k if I need to later. ;)

30-31k is about my ceiling on Galaxian, after 10 waves I just can't focus enough anymore.

Megamania I just never figured out on any system. I score almost exactly the same thing on A8,5200,2600 versions so I didn't even play after opening shot. :|

BTW: Pittston, PA myself. :)

Edited by zylon

Congrats sdamon, on the fine win! :thumbsup: This round really was a nailbiter, much more than I thought. I didn't push my Galaxian, as there just wasn't enough time for a fair response. I opted for game 9 bonus to hone my chops for next time ;)

Zylon, I think your nephew needs to teach me how to play Space Invaders...10-15K?, thats just incredible! It's my all time weakest game since I first played it at a friends house on 2600. I did notice the "60 pt saucer" issue when my score just added 10 pts after pegging one...oops Atari :P

• Like 1

12k was the best I could do on SI till I sat and actually studied his(my nephew) play. In between I asked him why he did certain things and came up with my method. :)

I'm glad everyone had a great time and if there's no errors, we'll lock this one up for posterity. We've got some Pacman to play. :)

This was an awesome round. I like the 3 game format as it kind of adds an element of suspense to the mix as well as lets some of us non pros stay in the mix a little :).

The space invaders back and forth was really a blast to watch ,congrats on big scores !

I agree with Zylon in that for galaxian, a dark room where you can fully see the screen is key. You really need to feel the game rather than try to follow it or watch it for lack of a better term.

My high score was accomplished in a room with no window or patio door reflection [at my inlaws] and I went nearly 35,000 without losing the first ship.

my stumbling block was in the 35-36k range as the game transitions from slow to faster paced. Once I got the feel for that , it seemed to get easier and easier. The day I hit 38k I was consistently hitting 34-36K over a 6 hour period if that gives an idea on the time put into it. Oddly enough that was the same day I hit the 4700 in game 9 . I wished I had stuck with it longer that day I just grew tired and went to other games to get the heart rate back down.

I played at home during the last few days of this round , my entire living room is glass so I had tons of reflections which does hamper the feel aspect as you then begin to look and anticipate rather than using the force :)

As I tried to play game 12 in SI for the bonus point last night, I got frustrated and went back to galaxian game 9, I hit 4980 but in a hurry back to SI ,I didn't snap a pic though it wouldn't have mattered as 5800 was the bench mark {beauty score by the way}.

I'm happy I could contribute and am ecstatic to have broken an HSC record. Truth be told I didnt care much for galaxian on the 5200 over the years , never put a dimes worth of time in it until this past round, was really hoping to light it up on megamania and fell short, its funny how things work out.

Well, off to pacman .

• Like 1