IGNORED

Galaga 2600 hack!

Jr. Pac

I will probably be NOT selling this one. Since there isn't a Galaga for the 2600 (exept for that horrible River Raid hack), I decided Pheonix would be almost perfect to make into Galaga. :D I have started this thread on 'revision 9', so I attached the first 'revision'. The ROM laeled Phoenixgalagahack9 is revision 9, and Phoenixgalagahack1 is the first graphic mod (starts on wave 3).

Phoenixgalagahack1.bin

Phoenixgalagahack9.bin

post-29027-0-98632300-1310450742_thumb.png

post-29027-0-99934000-1310450751_thumb.png

• Like 1

Kool!

Why not hack Galaxian instead?

Both Phoenix and Galaxian are far from how Galaga sprites are programmed to move across screen... Maybe some adaption of Juno First might look like Galaga...

Thanks. Galaxian's ship/bug/enemy movements are not even close to Galaga, and I thought Phoenix was a good game to hack into Galaga because the sprite colors, movements, etc were similar. I looked at Juno First, and it barely looks and plays anything like Galaga in my opinion. Isn't Juno still copyrighted since it's a homebrew, anyways?

Thanks. Galaxian's ship/bug/enemy movements are not even close to Galaga, and I thought Phoenix was a good game to hack into Galaga because the sprite colors, movements, etc were similar.

I disagree. Phoenix movements are further from Galaga than Galaxian and to say Phoenix is close is a s t r e t c h.

In Phoenix, the birds don't even swoop down and return through the top of the screen like Galaxian. It makes sense to me to hack Galaxian since Galaga is in the same family.

• Like 1

Thanks. Galaxian's ship/bug/enemy movements are not even close to Galaga, and I thought Phoenix was a good game to hack into Galaga because the sprite colors, movements, etc were similar.

I disagree. Phoenix movements are further from Galaga than Galaxian and to say Phoenix is close is a s t r e t c h.

In Phoenix, the birds don't even swoop down and return through the top of the screen like Galaxian. It makes sense to me to hack Galaxian since Galaga is in the same family.

I'm trying to make Galaga, not Galaxian. :? It's just more like Galaga to me, in some respects, because for example, some ships you need to hit twice like in Galaga. I can make a Galaxian hack as well if you want.

Simplistically speaking, I'd argue that Galaga *is* Galaxian, just with the ship capture/dual fire option and bonus stages.

Turn the border to black, maybe sprinkle some stars in the background, require a few hits to blow up some of the fighters, add the above three features and voila! 2600 Galaga :lol:

Edited by save2600

I'm trying to make Galaga, not Galaxian. :? It's just more like Galaga to me, in some respects, because for example, some ships you need to hit twice like in Galaga. I can make a Galaxian hack as well if you want.

Well, it's your hack...just trying to help...you do know that Galaga is the second title in the Galaxian series, right?

Simplistically speaking, I'd argue that Galaga *is* Galaxian, just with the ship capture/dual fire option and bonus stages.

Turn the border to black, maybe sprinkle some stars in the background, require a few hits to blow up some of the fighters, add the above three features and voila! 2600 Galaga :lol:

Well, it's your hack...just trying to help...you do know that Galaga is the second title in the Galaxian series, right?

I do know that it is the 2nd title in the Galaxian series. Thanks for the suggestions, but I can only hack graphics. Maybe once I figure out Batari Basic I can program a game from scratch! ;)

I do know that it is the 2nd title in the Galaxian series. Thanks for the suggestions, but I can only hack graphics. Maybe once I figure out Batari Basic I can program a game from scratch! ;)

In that case, you should be able to hack the graphics of the bottom row of Galaxians to yellow & blue, another row red & white and the top row green & yellow.

In that case, you should be able to hack the graphics of the bottom row of Galaxians to yellow & blue, another row red & white and the top row green & yellow.

By graphics, I meant design only, not color. I might be able to do color. I just am doing this for the fun of it, and might not even make a hack of Galaxian.