IGNORED

AtariAge 3.2 Forum Preview Video

Albert

Earlier today I created a video that shows off some of the changes and improvements in Invision Power Board 3.2, which we will be running here soon. Here's a link to the video, and I highly suggest watching it in full-screen in HD, or at the least changing it to 720p and then making the video window larger. Here's a link to the video:

This is the first screencast I've ever created, and I even bought a nice commercial package (Screenflow in OS X) to do it. Which means I'll have to create more of these in the future.

The video is just over a half hour.

Enjoy!

..Al

So that's what you sound like!!!

I like the new changes. I would for sure leave the Recent Gallery somewhere on the page.

I think gallery pics will get a lot more traffic that way.

I agree, thats actually the first time I've paid attention to the gallery, it would get many more looks if it were on the forum home page.

The feautres are really quite cool! There's all sorts of new things to do and the search engine is much more optimized. With the members search you can now sift through users by alphabet, all sorts of amazingly easy to use stuff. This new version will be very user-friendly, I think! :thumbsup:

Speaking of new forum software, I'll hijack this thread a little and ask about the Tracker. Specifically, the Stella tracker hasn't been available for some time, and it contains a list of bugs both fixed and currently pending. It would be nice to get the tracker working again, but even if it isn't, I need access to the Stella data. There are several things I made note of in the logs that I didn't place anywhere else, and now I can't remember them :(

Speaking of new forum software, I'll hijack this thread a little and ask about the Tracker. Specifically, the Stella tracker hasn't been available for some time, and it contains a list of bugs both fixed and currently pending. It would be nice to get the tracker working again, but even if it isn't, I need access to the Stella data. There are several things I made note of in the logs that I didn't place anywhere else, and now I can't remember them :(

I've just re-enabled the Tracker--here's a link to the Stella project:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/tracker/project-16-stella-emulator/

I had planned on upgrading it when I updated the forum months ago, but there was a serious bug in the upgrader at the time. This version above is still fairly old, but it should work until the shiny new version with 3.2 is released. Invision is running it on their forum, and you can see it here:

http://community.invisionpower.com/tracker/project-24-ipboard-3x/

..Al

So that's what you sound like!!!

And he did a lot of talking, so I bet we have enough words to edit together so it sounds like he said things that he really didn't say.

Example:

"Hello, this is Albert. I have a huge log."

:D

Or make an Albert Soundboard that can be used to crank call unsuspecting AA members :)

-B

• Like 3

Drop this forum system, make your own. NintendoAges forums are way better IMO. That might be me, but to me there's so much unneeded stuff I wish I could delete off the whole forums. I hate bulk, and these forums are all bulk.

Don't quote me on this, that's my opinion, just state yours ahead of mine.

They are surely lot of cool features in this new version, that lot of people will love.

But personnaly i'm also "retro" in Forums and also with Internet navigator i use.

I'm nostalgic of good old first generation of Boards...

Modern ones are slower , heavy and there is too much things every where.

For a forums mainly dedicated to "classics console and computer" , it would be better to have also a retro-software...

You know something you can use even if you navigate using a Atari XL a C64 browser. That would be perfect for me!

I hope my browsers will support this new version. :)

They are surely lot of cool features in this new version, that lot of people will love.

But personnaly i'm also "retro" in Forums and also with Internet navigator i use.

I'm nostalgic of good old first generation of Boards...

Modern ones are slower , heavy and there is too much things every where.

For a forums mainly dedicated to "classics console and computer" , it would be better to have also a retro-software...

You know something you can use even if you navigate using a Atari XL a C64 browser. That would be perfect for me!

I hope my browsers will support this new version. :)

If you want something lighter you can try one of the mobile skins.

Mitch

I have to strongly disagree with those saying the forum software is becoming too complex. You can easily ignore most of the "fluff" that has been added on to forum software over the years, focusing solely on reading and posting if you'd like. And I also disagree that modern software is slower--it's MUCH faster than old Perl-based "forum" software (we ran one here--Ultimate Bulletin Board--and it sucked!) And this new version of Invision Power Board has a much cleaner user interface overall, and requires less page reloads than before. And Invision has placed a strong emphasis on optimization, so it's quite fast. Oftentimes if you see a slow forum, it has to do with the server not being configured properly or the server is overloaded.

Also, regarding viewing the forum on an Atari 8-bit computer--it would be entirely possible to make a great looking 40-column skin for the forum. In fact, I challenge someone to do so--you could easily strip the forum of all images and use a minimal amount of text. I bet you could even make the skin ATASCII-based, although that would be a fair bit more work. :)

..Al

ive only used the pm, add pics to your post feature, the chatbox (twice), and that recent status update thingy, all the rest is just fluff to me and probably wont use it, atleast its easy to hide/ignore the new options if you want

also any feature taken from facebook is a no no to me but thats because i hate facebook :)

i cant talk about the speed of the forum because my computer is so old and it has an old version of winXP that was used on another computer with different parts, i just threw that HD with the OS onto this computer (because the old HD with the OS died) and ive been using it that way for 2 years. so in other words some websites load like a 56k modem ... lol

anyway keep up the good work Albert and anything that makes your job easier running this website im all for it

I have to strongly disagree with those saying the forum software is becoming too complex. You can easily ignore most of the "fluff" that has been added on to forum software over the years, focusing solely on reading and posting if you'd like. And I also disagree that modern software is slower--it's MUCH faster than old Perl-based "forum" software (we ran one here--Ultimate Bulletin Board--and it sucked!) And this new version of Invision Power Board has a much cleaner user interface overall, and requires less page reloads than before. And Invision has placed a strong emphasis on optimization, so it's quite fast. Oftentimes if you see a slow forum, it has to do with the server not being configured properly or the server is overloaded.

I agree that the software isn't slow at all. The old Pentium IV 1.7 Ghz that I was using died a few weeks ago and I'm currently on an even older Pentium III 800 MHz. I have no problem browsing the AA forums. Even with my old setup, opening a topic takes usually about 3 seconds. My OS is Arch Linux on both machines (which helps a lot). There are a lot of forums apparently more minimalistic which are much slower than AA.

A note about the Tracker: I can't open issues with attachments. I get the "Could not locate plugin tracker" error in that case.

As always, I really appreciate the hard work you put in AA. :thumbsup:

Will there be added management stuff for Google+ in the future to go with the Facebook and Twitter management tools?

Good question! I imagine as Google+ goes mainstream and developer APIs are made available, Invision will be adding Google+ support to the forum.

..Al