IGNORED

Some advice for eBay's Buyer Protection

boxpressed

I've had good experiences using eBay's Buyer Protection, but I just learned something new that I wanted to share here. Before I go on, here's the gist: always open a case through eBay's Buyer Protection before contacting the seller yourself, even though eBay's message system. Here's why.

I received an Astrocade that was described as working and, sadly, wasn't when I received it. I followed the instructions on eBay's Buyer Protection page and contacted the seller to try to work it out between us. The seller, to her credit, gave me a very quick refund, including shipping. Now she wanted the item shipped back to her.

I'd heard that eBay would pay for return shipping in cases like this one -- a business expense that's part of running an auction site, I suppose. I read that it was best to call customer service, not email. However, when I did so, I was told that eBay could not issue a shipping label because the money had already been refunded! In essence, eBay was "out of the loop." There was nothing they could do. I said that I was just following the instructions on the website: contacting the seller myself before opening a case. Well, eBay needs a case to exist before it can proceed, apparently. I should have begun communications with the seller by opening a case.

eBay made it right by crediting me some seller fees to make up for the return postage, but things would have been a lot smoother if I'd just opened a case to begin with. The cynic in me thinks that eBay WANTS you to take them out of the loop so that they have less exposure and liability, and thus the information on the Buyer Protection page is intentionally misleading. Lesson learned, though: always open a case to begin communications about a problem auction.

Edited by boxpressed

I think when ebay pays for the return shipping they take it from the seller. I am not positive on that though. If it is a seller screw up then the seller is responsible for the return shipping. Period. If she wants it back, she pays.

Oh, that's interesting. It makes some sense then that eBay couldn't do anything for me because they had no "leverage" on the seller once the money had been refunded (at least, that's what the agent told me). The agent also told me that I was under no obligation from eBay to return the item (that is, there would be no punitive action from eBay if I didn't) since my money had already been refunded. I said that that didn't seem right to me; I'd rather eat the return shipping than pull something like that.

Yep. In cases like this I always contact the seller and kindly request a refund INCLUDING return shipping costs. If that doesn't work out then I open a case with Ebay.

I did that, but the seller seemingly ignored my request for return shipping. I don't know if the seller can add an extra amount to the refund for return shipping when she clicks the "refund" button. Do you? If not, there may have to be a manual PayPal transaction in that case. If the seller refunds your money before you open a case, eBay can't help you, so I'd rather begin communications by opening a case.

Yep. In cases like this I always contact the seller and kindly request a refund INCLUDING return shipping costs. If that doesn't work out then I open a case with Ebay.

I did that, but the seller seemingly ignored my request for return shipping. I don't know if the seller can add an extra amount to the refund for return shipping when she clicks the "refund" button. Do you? If not, there may have to be a manual PayPal transaction in that case. If the seller refunds your money before you open a case, eBay can't help you, so I'd rather begin communications by opening a case.

Then that is when you should have opened a case with Ebay. It is at this point that your negotiations broke down.

Actually, starting Aug 31, any buyer protection cases brought before communication with the seller don't count towards the sellers Performance Rating. So, it's best to always try and work it out with the seller.

I saw that notice too. As I understand it, it seems as though a seller is somehow penalized if a buyer opens a case. What this change means is that the seller will no longer be penalized if a case is opened. I actually agree with this, so it makes even more sense to open a case if you want to protect yourself as a buyer.

Actually, starting Aug 31, any buyer protection cases brought before communication with the seller don't count towards the sellers Performance Rating. So, it's best to always try and work it out with the seller.

I saw that notice too. As I understand it, it seems as though a seller is somehow penalized if a buyer opens a case. What this change means is that the seller will no longer be penalized if a case is opened. I actually agree with this, so it makes even more sense to open a case if you want to protect yourself as a buyer.

What Ebay is saying is that it is not fair to a seller when a buyer opens a case before communicating with the seller first. After Aug 31, if the seller doesn't get notified by the buyer before opening a case, then the seller is no longer penalized. Ebay wants the seller and buyer to try and work it out before a case is opened.