IGNORED

Epic Adventure

Byte Knight

DPC chip was originally used in Pitfall2 and acts as a co-processor. Only Stella currently has support for this chips operations.

And in short it allows more things to happen on screen than normally possible while also adding more memory.

[edit]Clarification, the DPC+ is redesigned by Fred Quimby(batari) for the Harmony cart, and takes the features a step further.

The game can be played on the Harmony/Melody(hardware) carts as well as Stella(emulator) which currently has moderate DPC+ support.

Edited by ScumSoft

Added the Evil Magician boss. He will spawn in a random room after you or the hawk grab the chalice, then he will seek out and guard the chalice. If he runs into you along the way, he'll try to take you out, but his ultimate goal is to get to the chalice. He has the ability to cast a spell when he is near the same y-axis as you and the spell will make you drop whatever you're carrying (thanks for the suggestion ledzep!). He can only be killed with the staff, and needless to say this is difficult when he can cast his spell and make you drop your weapon. The sword will only make him mad!

The demo is harder now and no longer Level 1 - more like Level 2...

epicadv4.bin

New update - now you can play level 1 or level 2. Randomized level 3 to come. Hit the Select button at the start screen to switch levels (I or II at the bottom of the screen), space to start.

Level 1: Items at fixed locations close to the castle. No hawk, no Evil Magician boss.

Level 2: Items at fixed locations throughout the kingdom. Hawk & Evil Magician present.

Also fixed a bug in which after you killed the Evil Magician the Chalice would disappear, making it impossible to finish the game...

epicadv6.bin

Needs the latest stella 3.4.1 to run.

Wonder if the latest Stella is compatible with Windows 2000? I am still hanging stoneage style here.

Wp

Yes, it is. I am currently using Windows 2000 as well and it works fine.

Thanks! I thought I was the only one :)

Just gave it a brief run and LOVE it! The game seems great. Cant wait to see more.

Wp

• 3 weeks later...

New version:

• Added sounds.

• New & better ending.

• Added Dragon, Troll, and Orc death sprites.

• Added open gate sprites.

• Multiple bug fixes.

epicadv12.bin

Next step will be to add randomized Level 3...

Let me know what you think of this version. Do you guys like the staff or should I put in a different item? The Troll can also be killed with sword by slashing him while moving up and then dropping the sword in his path as he charges you. So, the staff isn't completely necessary in the game, although it's the only weapon that will kill the Evil Magician at the moment...

It's looking phenomenal! I would say, only remove the staff if you need the space for something else.

BTW, would you be able to make the backgrounds different colors other than just black? Having gray, brown, tan, and green for stone, dirt, sand, and grass would add a lot of flavor to the game IMO.

It's looking phenomenal! I would say, only remove the staff if you need the space for something else.

BTW, would you be able to make the backgrounds different colors other than just black? Having gray, brown, tan, and green for stone, dirt, sand, and grass would add a lot of flavor to the game IMO.

Thanks Kevin! I was battling the Evil Magician last night and was thinking that I better keep the staff in the game. I can't think of a better item anyway.

I played around with different background colors, but the flickered sprites (like the dragon) do not show up as well as against a black background. Now that's in emulation - I haven't tried it on my Harmony cart yet...

Todd

Any idea on a time frame on when the game will be complete? Also are you going to have a limited box run of this game?

I just finished adding Level 3, so it shouldn't be too much longer... There will be a limited box run of the game one way or another. It probably won't be cheap, since a printed box alone costs about $15, and I have no idea how much putting a game on a Melody cart costs. There will be a cart-only option too.

You've got a DF7FRACINC stack pointer bug, make sure you've got some null assignment such as temp1 = temp1 right after each bank declaration.

I went to take a picture of the playfield streaking, but while hunting camera batteries for a few mins leaving myself dead, the game completely wigged out visually and I still can't find my batteries :(

You've got a DF7FRACINC stack pointer bug, make sure you've got some null assignment such as temp1 = temp1 right after each bank declaration.

I went to take a picture of the playfield streaking, but while hunting camera batteries for a few mins leaving myself dead, the game completely wigged out visually and I still can't find my batteries :(

Thanks for catching that - I haven't done any testing on my Harmony cart yet. Sounds like an easy fix, and I'll post the next version with the bug fix soon.