IGNORED

The Complete List of Power Supplies

Okay. Cleaned up the list some

LAST CHANGES

Model Numbers Added

Cross reference added at the bottom.

CDi info added

REQUEST

Since I have added to Model numbers, lets see if we can work our way down the list, starting with Atari, and get some model numbers added. If you PS is different from the one I have listed, feel free to post it.

B

Edited by bigbee99

• 3 years later...

I noted an error in the list that I was hoping it could be amended.

It was stated that : "All Power Supplies are DCv with Positive centers unless other wise noted"
Yet for the SNES it is not noted as having a negative center
"SNES
10v 850mA (Model No: SNS-002)"

I have an original SNES power supply and the tip is negative. I took a photo of the back and attached it to this message to help.

post-42875-0-89852800-1435766103_thumb.jpg

one thing i need to ask.

about the game gear, am i risking damaging mine somehow by using the same psu i use for my pc engines, sms, megadrive 1, mega cd1 (and db pro fighter, wildcard dx, dr v64jr 512), because i've been using the same psu on them all for many years?

Correct, but that's for the OEM adapter. 3rd party adapters are DC, and the NES runs just fine with them.

The difference between AC and DC is that AC has no set polarity, it shifts direction back and forth. So for AC to become DC a constant polarity has to be made. That's achieved either with a series of four diodes or a bridge rectifier. So which ever direction the voltage flows it corrected for and directed to the proper line to create polarity.

So the only difference between a AC adapter and a DC adapter is that the AC one doesn't internally convert AC to DC. Consoles that use AC adapters have bridge rectifiers inside them that perform the conversion. Point is that any console that uses a AC adapter can use DC just fine and also the polarity of the adapter itself doesn't matter on them because their bridge rectifiers will correct for it.

Also that 16.2v 955ma AC supply for the Intellivision II is nonsense. 12V 1A DC is a super common and more than enough to power it.

Edited by thecrypticodor

NES and Intellivision 2 is the only one that is designed for AC power (I believe PAL SNES too?). Just about all other has a single diode or no diode and will not work with AC output. Single diode would protect the system from reverse polarity but you would have the effect of switching the system on and off 60 times a second. No diode = fried parts.

I once found exploded capacitor in a Turbo CD base I was checking and recapping. There was no protection on Turbo CD system (from power in to power regulator at least) so using wrong adapter caused that one cap to take off like a rocket. Fortunately the system still worked after cleaning and recapping.

I was wondering if there is any will to add some more info to this list.

When it comes to standard DC power supplies there are 4 things that need to be known :

1. Volts

2. Minimum Amps

3. Tip polarity

4. Barrel connector size (unless proprietary ie. systems like the N64 can't use a standard DC adapter)

I was wondering if there is any way that this could be updated for people researching these in the future. For instance the SNS-002 power supply (made for the SNS-001) uses a 7.0mm barrel tip. For some reason that isn't a very easy thing to find out.

Also a link to a larger picture of the original power supply (like the one I provided earlier) if available can be very helpful to many trying to research this like myself

Hope that isn't too much to discover :)

I know this is an old thread, but it's great information.

One thing to note is that the tip for many AC adapters: Genesis, SMS, TG16, etc is a 5.5x2.5mm barrel connector. This is useful to know when shopping online for replacements.

Also, since I needed one recently, here are the specs for a PC Engine CDROM2 interface unit: DC 9v 1450 ma. 5.5x2.5mm barrel connector: center negative

• 2 weeks later...