IGNORED

FAT32 XEX loader

candle

it would be possible, but is it really desirable?

not much to do in code, but really what for?

i would rather focus on getting directories sorted, adding proportional font, and getting history of cursor movement (so cursor would not return to 1st entry in directory after cd up), etc

I would say it depends on how one uses MyIDE and how old it is.

If you have an internal MyIDE with OS 3.5 through 4.3 (or maybe 4.4) you are limited to three partitions. Three 16MB partitions is probably plenty for personal use but not nearly enough to host all the games and reserve one partition for general usage.

Having your fat32 loader and separate CF card would eliminate that problem.

Keeping MyIDE intact allows one to use it has he always has. It also means he would be able to launch your loader without the need for a ROM or an SIO attached device.

And, of course, your fat32 loader is already one of the best game loaders. :-)

Basically, IMO, by adding slave support you would be providing two applications in the space of just one interface.

-Steve Sheppard

Edited by a8isa1
  • Like 1

how it should work?

I assume MyIDE OS just ignores a slave drive. I don't really know. If this is true wouldn't it be possible for a version of your fat32 loader to look at the slave drive instead of the master?

Maybe I'm being naive but it seems to me there would be no conflicts.

-Steve Sheppard

• Like 1

how it should work?

I see the problem. If you want to use the FAT32 loader, you first have to load it somehow. The MyIDE OS uses it's own partition format so you can't combine a FAT32 partition on a CF card with MyIDE partitions. Thus with MyIDE you can't boot the loader from the FAT32 CF card and need to boot it from another device.

But if the FAT32 loader, loads from a slave CF card, you can have a master CF card, partitioned with a MyIDE partition to boot the FAT32 loader. And the loader will then continue on FAT32 partitioned slave card.

Robert

remember that side fat32 loader is for side, and as such will reside in rom of side cart, thus no need to load if from anything

remaining builds are just for people who are not willing to buy side - they are not forced to, but some issues as the one with loading have to be solved by themselves

remember that side fat32 loader is for side, and as such will reside in rom of side cart, thus no need to load if from anything

remaining builds are just for people who are not willing to buy side - they are not forced to, but some issues as the one with loading have to be solved by themselves

OK. Well, thanks for making fat32 loader available for MyIDE owners. That was a very nice thing to do.

If my idea is successful I'll post a message.

-Steve Sheppard

Using the fat32-myide.xex and loading the partition from SDX444-myide cartridge I have good results with the games I load.

Using the fat32-myide.xex and loading the partition from SIO2SD floppy Spartados33a I have good results with loading and playing games.

Using the fat32-myide.xex and loading the partition from SIO2SD floppy Dos2.5 I had good results for about 10 games and then Dos2.5 quit loading partition.

Using the fat32-myide.xex and loading the partition from SIO2SD floppy Spartados32x with fast sio the partition would not load at all.

Still waiting for my SIDE cartridge so I have no result for this category.

SIDE will work with 400/800 with 48k of RAM

one thing though - you can't close cartridge door when SIDE is in :(

I could do special board for it, but unfortunatly i don't have any enclosure for it (one i can buy new)

if that doesn't change i can't do much about it

Can you design the board so that it will fit your current cart shells and be transferable to an original Brown cart shell by the user?

I would love to be able to use this in all my Atari home computers

Can you design the board so that it will fit your current cart shells and be transferable to an original Brown cart shell by the user?

When I get mine, I think I'll use an XE Cart case and shave down the sides just enough for PCB to fit and cut out an opening on the top for the CF Card. This will make fitting into the 800 rather nicely :)

The 2nd SIDE cart will stay original for the XL's and XE's...

Jay

SIDE will work with 400/800 with 48k of RAM

one thing though - you can't close cartridge door when SIDE is in :(

I could do special board for it, but unfortunatly i don't have any enclosure for it (one i can buy new)

if that doesn't change i can't do much about it

This is what I would want too... designed to fit all atari's, even if the case currently being used is non standard.

Edited by Stormbringer

folks

i've ask for some technical drawings of enclosures for carts you're using - no reply at all

why c64 people can get shiny new enclosures made for projects like ultimate 1542, or shining new stock cases for plain cartridges (even transparent ones - no problem), and all we have is two polish companies making incompatible shells for our purposes (this one i'm using was made for polish cart manufacturers in middle ages, when piracy was normal business, and IP was a void word)

bottom line - get organise yourself and have something custom made or recreated, or accept whatever the dog will bring

EOT

• 2 weeks later...

OK. Well, thanks for making fat32 loader available for MyIDE owners. That was a very nice thing to do.

-Steve Sheppard

It really does work. :) That's with one CF for normal MyIDE (Master) usage and another CF (Slave) for Candle's FAT32 loader (patched) to find it.

I've only made the patch for the internal version of MyIDE. It's working great for me but I can only test with MyIDE 4.2i

Use at your own risk.

I think I patched FAT32 loader correctly but my assembler skills are novice level at best. I won't be offended at all if someone wants to check my changes..

Original and patched versions are both included here.

fat32_intmyide_slave.zip

Edited by a8isa1

-Steve Sheppard

It really does work. :) That's with one CF for normal MyIDE (Master) usage and another CF (Slave) for Candle's FAT32 loader (patched) to find it.

I've only made the patch for the internal version of MyIDE. It's working great for me but I can only test with MyIDE 4.2i

Use at your own risk.

I think I patched FAT32 loader correctly but my assembler skills are novice level at best. I won't be offended at all if someone wants to check my changes..

Original and patched versions are both included here.

I patched the FAT32 loader for the external version of MyIDE for Fres to try. He says it's working. :D

fat32_myide_external_slave.zip

• Like 1

Works fine. I've only tried it with a few dozen games. Great loader. Works really well with joystick or keyboard (fast). And being able to drag and drop xex files to the slave CF card is very convenient.

FYI: I tested this with an AtariMax Maxflash+MyIDE cart and a dual CF to IDE adapter (with two cards installed).

Thanks Candle and SteveS.

• 2 months later...

Hmmm, interesting stuff here.

I'll try to include the fat32-loader (MyIDE-external-slave) in the flasher-file for the atarimax 1mb+ide cartridge.

There is enough room for other EXE stuff beside PicoDOS :-)

This is new to me, so it will take some time for the quarter to drop ;-)

Later,

Sijmen.