IGNORED

FAT32 XEX loader

candle

Okay, that works like a charm :-)

Nice job!

Why am I always late in getting new stuff......

I do need to tweak the 4.6BIOS not to load when SIDE is selected.

There are to many conflicts making lots of com/exe/xex not to load.

You can download the latest 4.6BIOS with SIDE from the atarimax forum.

It will be present in beta#9.

I'll try to upload a pre-beta#9 (atarimax 1mb+MyIDE only) today.

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewforum.php?f=7

Is there any development/progress in loading ATR's with side?

Later,

Sijmen.

I'll try to include the fat32-loader (MyIDE-external-slave) in the flasher-file for the atarimax 1mb+ide cartridge.

There is enough room for other EXE stuff beside PicoDOS :-)

Hi Sijmen,

Very nice to include the FAT32 loader in the MyIDE flashcard.

I'm using internal MyIDE with internal OS so I use a IDE master disk with MyIDE partition to load Candle's (modded by a8isa1) FAT32 loader for IDE slave drives.

I'm not familiar with the MyIDE flashcard, but if the FAT32 loader is stored on the flash disk, then I would think you don't need an MyIDE partition on the IDE master disk and can you use the FAT32 loader for IDE master disks instead of the loader for IDE slave disks. Then MyIDE-Flashcard users don't need an IDE slave drive to boot and use the FAT32 loader. In that case you could include both FAT32 loaders for master and slave disks. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Robert

atr load is not going to happend unless we will have some hacked os code with provisions for a mechanism that would allow sio calls to be redirected to a cartridge space

if we would agree here on something, we could work something out

i would be happy to make that happend

OS copied to RAM with a patch leaves a touch over 1K starting about $CB80 where some code and an index table can be squeezed in.

I used that methodology for V1 of ATRLoad system, but the disk image data is kept in extended RAM.

The pain with implementing a file-based ATR where the data isn't preloaded to RAM is with the file indexing. With the more advanced DOS file systems, the index can be obtained with a few read operations but with our ancient legacy 2.x systems you need to read the entire file.

Not to mention that with embedded flags/pointers within the data and possible "short sectors", the relationship between an indexed 2.x and "real" sectors isn't a 1:1 mapping.

atr load is not going to happend unless we will have some hacked os code with provisions for a mechanism that would allow sio calls to be redirected to a cartridge space

if we would agree here on something, we could work something out

i would be happy to make that happend

I suppose you mean that since there are only minor differences in MyIDE and SIDE IDE access, the MyIDE OS could be relatively simple adapted to use the SIDE cartridge as well.

Of course currently the partition formats are different, but since SIDE uses CF cards, I wouldn't mind to have one CF card with FAT32/APT partitions and another CF card with MyIDE image space slots.

Ideally MyIDE OS would support the APT "floppy drawer" partition specification, but I can imagine that such change would be quite drastic so I will be already happy with a MyIDE OS that also supports the SIDE cart.

Of course the MyIDE bios could be stored in the Ultimate1MB or AtariMax 32-in-1 OS for better compatibility than a ram based OS.

Robert

I think the whole premise of ATR loading is that we want to get well away from the idea of devoting partitions to floppy images.

Another idea although somewhat a kludge would be to put the index within the file itself. But you'd then need to run a seperate utility on each file and the index would become invalid if the file was moved.

I think the whole premise of ATR loading is that we want to get well away from the idea of devoting partitions to floppy images.

I agree that it is better to store an .atr image on a regular partition. And IDE Plus 2 Bios 0.9 does a great job of that (although only on SpartaDOS disks).

But a drawback to me is that no Atari file system supports long file names. 8.3 names are for me too difficult to find the right disk image. An extra text file as PicoDOS uses is a solution but that requires updating the description file if the files are changing. Thats why I'm so happy with Candle's FAT32 loader since that support long file names. So ideally, we could mount .atr files that are stored on a FAT32 partition. That would give us the benefit of long file names and it would also be easy to fill the FAT32 partition with disk images on a PC. But with restricted memory resources on the Atari, it would be quite a bit more difficult to implement than an floppy image partition :(

Robert

Just to be clear - the acronym "SIDE" on its own should perhaps not be used to refer to the loader, which is - logicially - called the "SIDE Loader". This is particularly important for those unfamiliar with the SIDE hardware when a different build of the loader is being presented on something other than the SIDE cart. SIDE is the hardware on which the original build of the SIDE Loader runs.

Edited by flashjazzcat

I have enough knowledge of the Atari-OS (I think), perhaps we can help eachother?

Also I could inlude a fat32-loader in the BIOS im writing.....

But need some backup in accessing the source of fat-32 allocation.

Anyhow, drop me a Pm or mail me on my homepage.

Later,

Sijmen.

• 1 month later...

some changes:

- left/right arrows now also jump on first/last position if page cannot be changed

- keyboard handlign routine deals with key repetition properly, also keyboard click was added

- changing directory up (cd ..) now restores cursor position as it was before entering that directory

if anyone has some suggestions for futher improovements - just let me know

known bugs:

- joystick support is now unusable - this should be fixed today

fat32-side.xex

fat32-myide.xex

fat32-intmyide.xex

preliminary directory sorting support

it's so slow one can actually see it happening

complexity of used algorithm is O(n^2) for worst case scenario, and O(n^2) in average, so i'll better change it with something closer to O(n log n)

but it was quick to implement in 6502 assembly

files are sorted in descending order for a purpose - to test the algorithm

final version will allow to change the order

fat32-side.xex

fat32-myide.xex

fat32-intmyide.xex

Thanks to a seemingly innocuous name like "bubble sort", I now know what wikipedia says about the simple sorting algorithm, how its the worst algorithm, and that insertion sort is better.

I refer to the bubble sort used by The Last Word's directory sorting routine. Its (very) small code footprint makes it ideal in that instance, and the sort records are only 13-16 bytes long. I made some (fairly obvious) amendments and improvements the other day, and sorting 50 plus files by extension and then name is virtually instantaneous.

That said - the insertion sort algorithm is much more efficient. :)

Edited by flashjazzcat

sorting fully implemented

directories are always on the beggining of the list regardless of the order of sort

you can switch between ascending/descending order by pressing inverse video/atari logo (END key under Altirra)

feature added: to get up by one level you can press delete key

will make some more bells and whistlers later on

any suggestions are welcome, although seeing intrest this has among atari users i don't think there will be any

fat32-side.xex

fat32-myide.xex

fat32-intmyide.xex

sorting fully implemented

directories are always on the beggining of the list regardless of the order of sort

you can switch between ascending/descending order by pressing inverse video/atari logo (END key under Altirra)

feature added: to get up by one level you can press delete key

Thanks a lot :)

My two cents:

- right arrows (directory descriptors) are flickering for a moment also near the files when entering directory with lots of files/subdirectories or forcing change of sorting.

- personally I'd rather have "ESC" or "U" (like in SIO2SD configurator) as updir shortcut instead of DELETE. Preferably ESC unless you plan to use it for other option ;)

- joystick control is still this bloody quick ;)

- just a proposal, but probably a useful one: could pressing the letter on the keyboard move us down to mark the first file/directory starting with respective letter within current directory? This would also be an argument to use ESC for an updir instead of "U" :D

will make some more bells and whistlers later on

any suggestions are welcome, although seeing intrest this has among atari users i don't think there will be any

Fingers crossed and you see? It's not so bad feedback-wise ;)

Edited by Jacques