IGNORED

FAT32 XEX loader

candle

actually 4 cents...

cent 1: its feature ;) really

cent 2: no way, we have to keep up to the standard, and standard is pc based (plus i don't give a dime about sio2sd)

cent 3: noted! but this has low priority to fix it, so it has to wait untill i do other stuff i'm planning

cent 4: noted, and already on todo list - thus no way to use U for cent 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks Phil,

they are, but in unix style - that means capitals first - it was already suggested, that sort should be case insensitive

this will also allow simplier search as type (searching on list while typying name of desired game) - one won't have to remember if the game one is searching for was capitalised, or not

will make some more bells and whistlers later on

any suggestions are welcome, although seeing intrest this has among atari users i don't think there will be any

Bells and whistlers are maybe a bit out of scope for the SIDE loader but a build-in .sap player would be nice :P Then we can put the whole ASMA collection on a FAT32 card and play them on real hardware.

Robert

Only 16 downloads of last loader's version.

If there isn't another download site I guess many SIDE cart users don't know this loader...

The problem with the "stand-alone .xex version" of the side loader is than you first need to load it from floppy/sio2pc before it can access the harddisk. Or when using SIDE, it could be put on an SDX partition and load it from SDX but then it takes some time to get to the side loader each time you reboot. For easy usage (and more users) newer versions of the side loader should be flashed to the SIDE cart but AFAIK till now there is no flasher for newer versions of the side loader. But I'm sure there will be a flasher when Candle thinks a newer version of the side loader is ready.

Robert

jacques: joystick selection was fixed some time ago, haven't i updated the xex file?

its either here, on on my web page

but as Phil said not may seems to be interested in this, so my efforts are next to nill

one could put fat32loader on fat32 partition - it will also load and work

anyways, having so many open projects in various stages of development and no real feedback i can't say i stay motivated for a single project long enough to get it to the point that everyone would be happy about

bottom line - help me help you...

Sebastian

anyways, having so many open projects in various stages of development and no real feedback i can't say i stay motivated for a single project long enough to get it to the point that everyone would be happy about

Maybe there is so little feedback because the fat32 loader works so good and easy :) No need to do all the trouble to compile a CF card via SIO or some PC command utility, with 16MB restricted partitions, limited number of directory entries and cryptic short filenames (or adding a text file with long file names). Just drag'n'drop your whole collection of xex files to a CF card and you are ready to go.

For me the fat32 loader is the best thing on the Atari 8-bit since the invention of the Atari 8-bit harddisk interface. So tumbs up and many thanks :thumbsup:

Robert

• 2 weeks later...

jacques: joystick selection was fixed some time ago, haven't i updated the xex file?

Okay, I've taken the one from your website. Two issues to report:

1) unable to use joystick selection in port 1, while having mouse plugged into port 2. It keeps "ticking" all the time and joystick can't move the cursor, while moving the mouse influences this ticking and ocassionally moves the cursor.

2) "ticking" sound while loading the binary? (mouse not connected ;) ) What for? It sounds annoying... :(

OK, come on let's get real for a while ;)

Controlling SIDELoader just with joystick in port 1 would be enough and it won't get crazy having a mouse in port 2. Which is quite normal, there are programs which even use it, so it makes perfect sense to have it connected in there :P It's not C64, too, so controlling SIDELoader with joy in port 2 doesn't really make sense and is only causing trouble.

Could you please make such change? And maybe a "quiet" version of loader, too? SIO sound is always nice, that's what we were growing up with ;) But this SIDE's "prrrrrrrrrrrr, prrrrrrrrrrrr" is really... Not nice, to say the least ;)

Hopefully user's voice of concern counts for something ;)

Edited by Jacques

I'd forgotten about the mouse issue. I raised this point before, since I now have a mouse plugged into port 2 one hundred per cent of the time. Fortunately I don't have much occasion to use the otherwise excellent SIDE loader, but there will be a time - in the not too distant future - when many, many people have a mouse permanently plugged into port 2.