IGNORED

FAT32 XEX loader

candle

little update:

added support for FAT16 partitions

MBR-less disks should be visible

best way is to load it from SIO, sinice you can face chicken and egg scenario when you have fat32 without MBR or fat16 partition and you can't use loader that is build in in side to load newer version

edit: also available in vanilla flavour

fat32-side.xex

fat32-incognito.xex

Edited by candle

Can't get this (non-Incognito version) to recognize any files placed on the FAT16 image I posted here. I can try formatting different cards, but the partition in that post is FAT16 (it merely lacks a meaningful amount of ATRs/XEXs - they need adding). Perhaps inspection of the image can shed some light.

still experimental, but memlo is now $9a0, so really everything SHOULD load,

Hehe that is always dangerous to say ;)

I have a port of David Midnight Magic here, that loads from $0800 ... $BFFF which probably will not run then. But that's no problem. $9a0 is really an awesome memlo.

Do you still have plans to release a MyIDE version, like there was of previous version(s) of FAT32 loader? I would really appreciate that.

i'll think about it, but i have to think about all those people who has bought side and will buy side2 too, and i need to keep them happy that they can heve the best software there is, just for them

all i get from myide dev team is that they take this for granted, and i'm not willing to support their hardware ATM

they wrote they own fat32 loader - good, better this, than advertising their stuff with my name - directly or indirectly

FAT32-SIDE will load XEX files from a SIDE cart regardless of whether SDX/U1MB/SIDE-SDX soft-driver is present or not. The ATR mounting functionality is completely dependent on "SIDE hardware" being enabled in Ultimate 1MB (I doubt this is obvious to every user). And in that latter case, don't forget to set the SIDE cart's switch to loader mode.

BTW: U1MB / Incognito ATR mounting doesn't work unless there's an MBR on the card. That's my own stupid fault and has been fixed in pending BIOS updates. FDISK will then be surplus to requirements for those who don't want to use APT partitions: just buy CF card, put files on it, and place in the slot.

Does Steve's FAT loader not work with MYIDE 1 then? I'd assumed it was written directly to address the concerns Candle just outlined.

No it does need the SRAM from the MyIDE ][ cartridge; for MyIDE I there is still that FAT32 loader with the big white SIDE logo.

'll think about it, but i have to think about all those people who has bought side and will buy side2 too, and i need to keep them happy that they can heve the best software there is, just for them

all i get from myide dev team is that they take this for granted, and i'm not willing to support their hardware ATM

they wrote they own fat32 loader - good, better this, than advertising their stuff with my name - directly or indirectly

hi Candle,

It's your software, and you are free to release for whatever platform/gadget you want. I think it is a pity that today (2013) there is still a "they" and "us" in atariland. I love all the development in Atari land a lot. I really 'adore' your Ultimate 1MB upgrade, and Incognito board; but I also am a very enthusiastic MyIDE user. Especially the version I can build myself, with just a handfull of simple TTL IC's, but also this new MyIDE ][ cart is really cool.

The FAT32 loader Steven Tucker wrote for this hardware is very nice, but your SIDE loader is amazing too. I would love to be able to run both, but I understand your point of view. I'll wait and see; I'm not in a hurry ;) I actual love booting games from my XC12 data recorder too... which is SLOOOOOW ;) so I must be real patient guy ;)

Thanks candle. That is cool!

I'm going to try it, and I'll let you know what results I got.

I am first going to try it on MyIDE I

Since the previous version of your myide FAT32 xex loaders did not run on MyIDE II, I expect this one will not run on it either.

MyIDE II does have the CF cart interface 'disabled' by default. It needs to be switched on first. But... I'll test, and give you results today or tomorrow.

Thanks again for releasing this. It's cool!