IGNORED

Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

burke_01

Has anyone else had the pleasure of playing this gem on an MSX emulator, or even an actual MSX computer? I had no idea this game even existed until a few years ago. It really makes the connection between the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid. Of course, we in the U.S. got stuck with Snake's Revenge, which was still a good game, but had nothing to do with the whole story whatsoever. If you've never played it, try tracking it down, it's definitely worth it. Here's a site dedicated to the series that has some info.

http://metalgearforever.homestead.com/mgf.html

I believe it was only released in Japan and one other country (can't remember which one) but many of the titles have been translated to English for use on MSX emulators. Games like Vampire Killer (what we know as Castlevania) Contra, The Goonies and many other games from Konami were originally released on the MSX. A lot of the versions on MSX are quite superior to what was released over here.

Hi,

I have a site about MSX computers:

www.charin.org

Go to MSX Games > MSX 2 Games on left menu. You can download the ROM and play it on a MSX emulator.

Metal Gear for MSX2 is really a great game, with nice music and graphics. Note: the Metal Gear works only on MSX2, MSX2+, or MSX Turbo-R computers. There is also a Metal Gear 2 for MSX2 computers.

Castlevania also existed for MSX2, and was called Vampire Killer.

Best regards,

Sergio

http://member.newsguy.com/~charin/collection/trade.htm

Has anyone else had the pleasure of playing this gem on an MSX emulator, or even an actual MSX computer? I had no idea this game even existed until a few years ago. It really makes the connection between the original Metal Gear and Metal Gear Solid. Of course, we in the U.S. got stuck with Snake's Revenge, which was still a good game, but had nothing to do with the whole story whatsoever. If you've never played it, try tracking it down, it's definitely worth it. Here's a site dedicated to the series that has some info.

http://metalgearforever.homestead.com/mgf.html

MSX is a Z80-based system developed by ASCII Corporation (Japan) and Microsoft, together with manufacturers like Matsuchita, Sony, and other companies. It was very popular in Japan, Netherlands, Spain, Brazil, and some other countries.

MSX systems are very appreciated by vintage computer collectors (specially in Europe) because there were made a huge variety of MSX computers around the world, all compatible with the basic MSX standard.

I really recommend trying at least playing MSX games on a emulator. Of course playing on the real machine is really better. Several great games were made for MSX, I recommend playing these games, some are for MSX1 and some are for MSX2:

Metal Gear

Zanac

Goonies

King's Valley

Knight Mare

Thexder

Penguin Adventure

Maze of Galious

Hinotori

Aleste

Best regards,

Sergio

I read about this game when MGS2 was being hyped last year. So

just what is a MSX computer?

John

Wasn't the MSX equivalent to the Colecovision?

The MSX hardware has similarities with the Colecovision and the Sega SG1000/SC3000. There is even a Coleco emulator for MSX (I never tried it, so I don't know if it works well). :)

The Spectravideo SVI318/SVI328 made in United States was a pre-MSX computer.

Best regards,

Sergio