IGNORED

Random Question about Mortal Kombat for Sega CD

I was reminiscing about the Sega CD with a friend yesterday and we both remembered Mortal Kombat CD and it NOT playing in any Front Loader Sega CD System. We remembered trying it on 2 different systems and even returning it to the store about 3 times and it still not working right. It only played when my friend got a Genesis 2 and Side CD Add on.

Anyone else remember this, I can't find anyone else on the net that had this issue. Was it a known problem?

• Like 1

I was reminiscing about the Sega CD with a friend yesterday and we both remembered Mortal Kombat CD and it NOT playing in any Front Loader Sega CD System. We remembered trying it on 2 different systems and even returning it to the store about 3 times and it still not working right. It only played when my friend got a Genesis 2 and Side CD Add on.

Anyone else remember this, I can't find anyone else on the net that had this issue. Was it a known problem?

I had a front loader and it played fine in mine. My hardware was a model 1 Genesis and a model 1 SegaCD.

However, I think my front loader had been given a Bios upgrade at the Sega Service Center when I sent it in for repairs. That particular unit is long gone.

I don't think I've ever tried MK CD on my current front loader. I'll have to check. Although both units are different, I'm still using a Model 1 Genesis and a Model 1 SegaCD.

• Like 1

I have Mortal Kombat and a front loader original model Sega CD. I have never encountered any problems playing it.

I did have problems with Formula 1 Beyond the Limit. I was never able to play that until years later when I purchased a CDX. A friend who worked at Sega at the time explained to me that the F1 game was incompatible with Sega CD systems that had a JVC drive.

• Like 1

Never heard of MKCD failing to work in a Model 1 Sega CD. You sure the disc isn't too scratched? Do any other scratchy discs work in your tray loader? Model 1s are certainly known for failing to work that's for sure. Post this thread on Sega-16, lots of tech gurus over there who've been able to fix their tray loading Sega CDs.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just tried an ISO of MKCD with Gens. I set the SCD Bios to 1.00, and I recreated the same problem I had before. It freezes on the Sega Logo and after about 10 minutes it starts playing some of the Music Tracks. When I changed Bios it worked fine.

I guess my actual Sega CD (which I no longer have) was a 1.00.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I rented that game once on my front loader and it worked.

I don't have it anymore so I can't check the BIOS version, but it was a very early unit. I got it at Christmas when it had just come out, and from what I've read I think there was only 1 shipment at that point.

..however, it did break down (no power-prob the fuse) and I had it repaired at a local shop. I don't remember if that happened before or after I rented MK, and I have no idea if they did anything to the BIOS. I suppose it's possible.

• Like 1

• 10 years later...