IGNORED

Crownland for NTSC?

JagCD

I've been checking out YouTube and noticed that there is a really impressive looking

Atari 8-bit game called Crownland.

I know on the 7800 forums, people have been complaining that Atari never fielded

a serious Super Mario Bros competitor -- that Junkyard Dog just wasn't good enough.

I don't know about all that -- I mostly play games on my XEGS.

But, I've looked around and can only find this game for PAL. Would it be hard to convert

to NTSC? Does this game play as good as it looks?

• Like 2

I've been checking out YouTube and noticed that there is a really impressive looking

Atari 8-bit game called Crownland.

I know on the 7800 forums, people have been complaining that Atari never fielded

a serious Super Mario Bros competitor -- that Junkyard Dog just wasn't good enough.

I don't know about all that -- I mostly play games on my XEGS.

But, I've looked around and can only find this game for PAL. Would it be hard to convert

to NTSC? Does this game play as good as it looks?

The version you see on youtube is the demo version. I have actually played the final version in PAL through an emulator and it really looks great! You will need a 130XE to play this though as it uses the extra memory to store level data. There is a seriously good PM multiplexing engine in this game as well.

With what was done here, I see no reason why we can't have a version of SMB on the 8-bit

this is the final release version.

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 1

Crownland is pretty amazing stuff.

Sadly the demo was better than the final game. Hope to see a "final" version in an upcoming ABBUC SWC.

Just saw the video for the Milion... time and I see that indeed it the way PMs. on the same Line it usually cuts the Player Top of the Head/Top of Hair many, many times.

This because it detects scanline by scanline if there's more than 2PMs. Multicolour in the same scanline (maximum A8 permission) and that's why it only cuts one or two scanlines of the Hair.

And this is just because the Stars are also PMs. and many times you have two stars on each line.

The stars are most of the time above you and you have to jump to catch them. It's soo easy to get in that scanlines.

On the last Level it's acceptable to have the Flying Dragon two Multicolour Players and our guy is the third, O.k.!

But the Stars Level could easilly have the two stars using the same Multicolour sprite.

It was much better the Stars flicker and this would not be Flicker as they are rotating and show one's frame then the other would be better.

And with all these Thoughts I remember to go and see the SuperMario A8 video and it has sometimes 3 moving guys and Mario on screen.

When there are our Mario and two enemys at the same scanline one of the Enemys quickly 'go out' or change Line and so quickly that the flicker isn't almost seen.

The Flicker are also at the other one, Contra, and doesn't seem bad.

I think that these re-use of the sprites is almost done the same way on all these games but that's the only 'down' I see on Crownland and it's indeed very perceptable those 1or2 scanlines of the Hair cutted.

But it's indeed a great Game, great choose of colours/luminances and Gfxs.

Just would need some nice Loading screen/Intro/Levels presentation/Hi-scores to be a really great game.

Something like those Stars/guys sprites presentations of C64's Creatures.

Emkay that C64 is what I call really a Demo.

It's a shame that I always only remember of Alternate Reality as the only one with Intro(s)/... the only one the A8 had.

But it's great anyway!

:thumbsup:

José Pereira.

Edited by José Pereira
  • Like 1

analmux got the hard part done for Super Mario Brothers for Atari 800, there is an .atr around here somewhere. All it needs is some TLC and voila!

If someone were going to port Crownland to the NTSC Atari, would they please change the jump function from 'up' to 'button'?

Pr0be two times tried to make the game working in NTSC, but he failed, and probably lost his motivation for trying more. He may of course share the sources to some coder, who can deal with it, but they are very messy.

So, if there is any interest, just say a word, and I let him know. :)

Edited by miker
  • Like 1

• 7 years later...

would be quite an undertaking but worth it... a massive re organization and re coding so that it is ntsc in it's very DNA. Most NTSC hacks are not done as a complete change but rather tweaks of much smaller nature.

In order for this to convert, the code could/would have to spread across 5 to 10 more frames and still make the display on time... currently it seems to drop as it crosses... disappearing acts ensue..

They game doesn't crash... so there is hope... drawing has to happen more often, making it slow down... but since NTSC is faster it would more than likely play about the same...

weird thought in my head-has anyone looked to see if it displays an item then erases it or erases an item then displays it?

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Like 1

Why bother? Crownland is an impressive technical demo, but as an actual game it's so very dull.

It is better to remain silent than to speak the truth ill-humoredly, and spoil an excellent dish by covering it with bad sauce.
— Saint Francis de Sales
  • Like 4

Why bother? Crownland is an impressive technical demo, but as an actual game it's so very dull.

Why? Because any REAL effort to push our machines' capabilities to their bone-deep limits, while showing some class and finesse along the way, is MORE than welcome. In fact, it is welcome yesterday, today, tomorrow and forever-and-ever (!!!)

Edited by Faicuai
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...