IGNORED

3 Atari 8-bit Hard Drive images for SDrive, etc.

kheffington

As a noob user of a SDrive or any scheme that uses a different image than the standard single disk directory/file structure I'm kinda lost. Sorry if this has been posted before. Can some kind sole start at thet begining with a step by step process to get these images from a pc to an sdcard fit for use in the SDrive.

Do I have to partition the SDCard first? How many? What sizes? I'm assuming I have to format FAT16.

What would be the directory structure? Do I have to boot the Atari with a specific dos? How is that placed on the SDCard?

Thank you

Must say! I do like this, makes it easier to navigate around and pick you next game to play. Thanks for this!

EDIT: Just to add, something like this with all those cool Atari Demo's would be awesome. You know, like, drunken chessboard and the dealer demo's etc.

Edited by Spurge

As a noob user of a SDrive or any scheme that uses a different image than the standard single disk directory/file structure I'm kinda lost. Sorry if this has been posted before. Can some kind sole start at thet begining with a step by step process to get these images from a pc to an sdcard fit for use in the SDrive.

Do I have to partition the SDCard first? How many? What sizes? I'm assuming I have to format FAT16.

What would be the directory structure? Do I have to boot the Atari with a specific dos? How is that placed on the SDCard?

Thank you

Really pretty simple, just use them the same way as any other ATR. Format the card as fat16. If you don't already have it get the SDRIVE.ATR required and copy it to the SD card. Then just copy the game ATRs to the card using a PC. You can put the hd images in a directory or in the root of the SD card, the SDRIVE.ATR has to be in the root of the SD Card. Any files copied to the SD card will show in SDrive menu sorted in the order they were copied to the card.

Load the ATRs into the SDRIVE drive slots and restart the Atari. Load all 4 drive slots and you have access to all at of them at the same time. The HD images are bootable and already have mypicodos on them.

You can get the SDRIVE.ATR and general instructions for SDRIVE at the link below.

SDRIVE LINK

Edited by kheffington

The hard drive images have been updated. There are now 2,800 in 4 HD images. The links are below.

Some PAL only games have been separated into a directory of there own on Disk 4. I expect to add more PAL only games to that disk image. There are some PAL games in the mix on the other disks but they were left as they appear to work ok on NTSC.

I expect to be able to add more games overall but that is probably at least a month from now.

Atari HD Image Disk 1

Atari HD Image Disk 2

Atari HD Image Disk 3

Atari HD Image Disk 4

Here is a list of the games in Excel and Text formats

Thanks for these.... I downloaded the files in the above quoted post and they are great.

Question, how do I get MyPicoDos to default to highspeed I/O ?

Also the version of Berzerk (Atari) in the image is not the "fixed" version. Fixes sound on the XE systems.

( I think this is the right one: http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=1350 )

Thanks for these.... I downloaded the files in the above quoted post and they are great.

Question, how do I get MyPicoDos to default to highspeed I/O ?

Also the version of Berzerk (Atari) in the image is not the "fixed" version. Fixes sound on the XE systems.

( I think this is the right one: http://atari.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=1350 )

I left highspeed I/O off by default to improve compatibility across different devices and also some games hiccup with highspeed I/O turned on.

I changed the Bexerk in the first image to the one you linked to.

Download Mypicodos from the link below. Boot with myinit.atr in drive 1 and put the HD image you want to change in another slot. Set anyway you like. Read the readme that comes with mypicodos it explains how to use it.

MYPICODOS LINK

Edited by kheffington

Thank you

Really pretty simple, just use them the same way as any other ATR. Format the card as fat16. If you don't already have it get the SDRIVE.ATR required and copy it to the SD card. Then just copy the game ATRs to the card using a PC. You can put the hd images in a directory or in the root of the SD card, the SDRIVE.ATR has to be in the root of the SD Card. Any files copied to the SD card will show in SDrive menu sorted in the order they were copied to the card.

Load the ATRs into the SDRIVE drive slots and restart the Atari. Load all 4 drive slots and you have access to all at of them at the same time. The HD images are bootable and already have mypicodos on them.

You can get the SDRIVE.ATR and general instructions for SDRIVE at the link below.

SDRIVE LINK

Thanks man :twisted:

SDRIVE LINK

how can I order a pre-made device?

Lotharek on here makes cased sio2sd and sells on eBay as well as his website.

SIO2SD Lotharek

This guy makes Sdrives in cases but you would have to check with him about availability.

Morerthangame Sdrive

Edited by kheffington

Apparently, I bought The last pre-made device a couple of weeks ago.

If you're handy with a soldering iron and can lay your hands on a SIO port, AFAIK some kits are still available.

how can I order a pre-made device?

Lotharek on here makes cased sio2sd and sells on eBay as well as his website.

SIO2SD Lotharek

This guy makes Sdrives in cases but you would have to check with him about availability.

Morerthangame Sdrive

Not only SDrive and SIO2SD but SIO2PC and SIO2USB too support kheffington's awesome pre-made images.

You can find all available devices listed here (with prices).

Regarding SDrive, I know that mega-hz plans to produce a barebone cheap version.

• Like 1

These images are great. I am almost exclusively using my sdrive right now. It it difficult to replace a single game in one of these images? I would like a demon attack that would work with my xegs without using any kind of fix loader. I'm not asking someone to do it -- just wondering if a nit wit (me) could pull it off ;-)

These images are great. I am almost exclusively using my sdrive right now. It it difficult to replace a single game in one of these images? I would like a demon attack that would work with my xegs without using any kind of fix loader. I'm not asking someone to do it -- just wondering if a nit wit (me) could pull it off ;-)

If you are using ones you download previously, you might want to download them again. While not yet completely reworked, they have had lots of changes with files added to them. The first 3 disks are probably in the final or at least very close to final version. The 4th disk is still being worked on.

The first disk has the demon attack you are looking for in it as it has both the OSb version and the fixed version in it, so download disk 1 and you will have the demon attack you are looking for already added to it.

When they are finished in a couple of weeks or so from now I will post a link to the files used to create them and instructions on how to modify them as it is less work to just recompile the images from the original files.

Here is a text file of the current games in the images. This list does not contain the PAL only games directories though.

Games.zip

Edited by kheffington
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Bump. The ravenlist links are dead. I can host the files if needed. I'm looking at picking up an SIO2SD and it would be good to see this back online again. Thanks!

The links are not dead.....The ones in the first post were later changed.

Have a look at post #24

Also there are 4 disks instead of 3

See thread here

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/187482-4-atari-16mb-hard-disk-images-completed/\\

Edited by kheffington
  • Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 7/23/2011 at 5:23 PM, kheffington said:

Being unable to locate downloadable hard drive images for personal use with nicely formatted long file names, I made three to use.

Download links in this post are for the three Atari 8-Bit 16MB hard disk images containing a little over 2,200 games. Disk images are in MyPicoDos405 format and have been set up with long file names. These were made for use with SDrive but do work with Atari 8-bit Emulators and should work with MyIDE and SIO2SD devices.

Games were tested on an SDrive with an Atari 130XE. As there are over 2,200 games; testing was somewhat rudimentary. Testing consisted of loading each game, starting the game and briefly playing it (not extensive play test). A game was included if no problems were noted in this brief period of testing. A few of the games require OSb and are so noted in the long file names by [OSb]. A few require more than 64k of ram and are noted by having the minimum ram noted in brackets in the names [128k] etc.

There is additional space for approximately 400 additional games in the three hard disk images but I have run out of COM or XEX files that work. I am looking for more and will probably update the images at some point.

There are Excel and Text files in each archive of the games in that archive.

GAMES A-F

Games G-P

Games Q-Z

I know you did this post back in 2011, and it is now 10 years later (2021)...They are no longer there, is there a way you can either re-post them somewhere.  Also, I would like to use them with the emulator Atari800 on my Linux laptop, I am using LinuxMint release 20.2 currently.  I can pm you my e-mail address if you want to send them there as well, but I figure by re-posting them others will get the chance to get them as well.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Roydea6 said:

It looks like this is an older set of the disks. I compared with the ones I have, and there is quite a bit of data on mine where these have blank space.

I'm pretty sure this is the last version of the disks that was assembled. It also has text file with the complete list of all games on the disks (totaling 3,056).

Atari 16mb Drive Images (8-11-2013).zip

Edited by MrFish
  • Like 3