IGNORED

Compact 5200 System

wt808

This is great. With how large the original system is, I think many Atari fans would enjoy this. This board is so small, it could probably even be used for a benheck style handheld version of the 5200 as well as a tiny consolization. Maybe at last we can get some new clones of systems that haven't been cloned yet if people do things like this enough.

• Like 5

A while ago I convinced myself that the 5200 mainboard could be reduced to the size of a game cartridge, but still using the original 40DIP ICs and DIP ROM. Last Fall, I gave it a try. Family obligations and the dread of soldering small SMT components put the project on the back burner until a couple of days ago.

It works wonderfully! The mainboard measures 88mm x 108mm and features audio line out and svideo out. Here it is in comparison with a 5200 cartridge. And with an Atarimax USB flash cartridge, shell removed, running Pac-Man off of that cartridge.

AWESOME, simply AWESOME great work..

so besides to usuaol questions of if you are going to sell these (which i hope you will btw).

Have you ever considered other mounts for the board such as a 7800 case or one of the flashback cases?

or better yet, mounting this inside of the 5200 trackball controller?

and last but not least, Since your so awesome at making this, would you ever make a colecovision version of this PCB?

• Like 1

Maybe you could mount it into some kind of Atari case. Maybe 1030 Modem or something. I do like the 5200 Trackball idea as well. There would have to be some kind of external switch for using the joysticks though.

Allan

• Like 1

I tried to send a PM asking to buy one of these but it seems the OP has his PM's disabled.

If your reading this wt808 please message me with any info about how to purchase one of these

mini 5200's from you or even just a PCB that I could populate myself.

• Like 2